Fram Titanium FS12447 oil filter

Based on this thread, First Brands now seems to be seriously mixing and matching Fram/Champ Labs construction and calling it Fram at their whim. After seeing orange can ecores, I suppose seeing an Ultra the same way shouldn't be that surprising. I would like to see the internals of the Ultra ecore, media and end caps to see what they look like. The materials used for both.

As for Frams now with louvers on metal cores, get used it. FB been moving in that direction, one that Champ Labs with metal cores have been using for a long time.

Bought a XG12447 today. Was sealed, so I couldn't open it in store. I'm definitely returning it.

It's a step up from the PF66, but it's pretty clear that the titanium is a repainted synthetic endurance.

The XG12447 has a silicone ADBV and is clearly made by Champ, but it has a plastic inner core and cellulose media.

View attachment 206911

I’ve never seen an e-core Ultra before. What’s the date code on that filter?

I picked this filter up for my 3.0 Duramax Silverado while I was checking another AAP for OG FS5s for my big block. It looks like the mini-max owners have a superior alternative to the PF66.

It looks like it's basically a Synthetic Endurance. Made in USA, metal core, louvers, silicone ADBV, and I was just barely able to see what looks like a nylon mesh on the filter media. Here are some pics. I would have cut it open, but it was the only one in stock. I'll probably check another AAP in the next few days and do an actual C&P.

View attachment 206641

View attachment 206642

View attachment 206644

View attachment 206645

View attachment 206647

Hi RagnarokCamaro,
A well built oil filter. The louvers have been stamped very well with clear openings.

Based on this thread, First Brands now seems to be seriously mixing and matching Fram/Champ Labs construction and calling it Fram at their whim. After seeing orange can ecores, I suppose seeing an Ultra the same way shouldn't be that surprising. I would like to see the internals of the Ultra ecore, media and end caps to see what they look like. The materials used for both.

As for Frams now with louvers on metal cores, get used it. FB been moving in that direction, one that Champ Labs with metal cores have been using for a long time.
Hi SayJac,
I'm seeing this standardization going on too and feel it is a good thing as long the performance specs are maintained for the various Fram models (rated life and efficiency @ micron level). By reducing the product variation they'll be less change over in their plants.

Fram seems to be in "potluck mode" these days.
Yeah, I'm going to have to retract my previous statement of Fram stepping it up, at least in all areas.

I guess it's going to come down to a filter by filter basis these days. Grab the good ones like the synthetic endurance and a handful of the titaniums and stock up for a couple years of oil changes

Back