Question about weed spray

So it seems that if I buy one of the weed sprays that screw on the end of garden hose, and don't use it all up In the season I bought it, that come next summer that it doesn't kill the weeds. At best, it just kinda stunts their growth. If I then buy a new sprayer, it works great. So, I am wondering it it is how I am storing it, or is it just that there is an expiration date, which isn't listed anywhere? I have been keeping it in a wood cabinet in my garage, which rarely, if ever, gets cold enough to freeze water. Would it help if I put it in my basement? Label says store in cool dry place.

It is possible that some of components evaporate and others might get destroy when freezing. Keeping it on the basement away from any heat source might be good idea just make sure no one gets to it not knowing what it is!

That is probably what I will try. It will still be in its original container, so no problem.

When I have a decent size container of any possible dangerous chemical I put the container in an other larger container just in case it leaks. In the past I bought buckets at hardware stores or PepBoys. Now we buy out cat litter in large plastic containers, and when they are empty I remove the lid and it is a good size bucket.

Also very very rarely some plastics will react with other plastics when in contact for a long time, so I put cardboard on the bottom of the bucket to keep the plastic container of the chemical form contacting the plastic of bucket.

I never had this problem. I never empty the weed spray tank sprayer when storing for the winter, but I do release the pressure after each use. Weed spray works best at certain temeratures. Perhaps you are applying when it is too cool? :unsure:

And do you shake it before using?

I would suggest you skip the hose end sprayer that comes prefilled. Instead get a Chapin G362 hose end sprayer where you can spray a liquid at various concentrations and pour leftover back in the original container. Then forget the name brands and big box stores and order the concentrate from Amazon. Like Trimec to kill broadleaf weeds, Drive to kill crabgrass, Dimension to prevent crabgrass. Some are not cheap but they are not the watered down concentration you probably get from the Ortho or similar hose end sprayer that comes prefilled.

I would suggest you skip the hose end sprayer that comes prefilled. Instead get a Chapin G362 hose end sprayer where you can spray a liquid at various concentrations and pour leftover back in the original container. Then forget the name brands and big box stores and order the concentrate from Amazon. Like Trimec to kill broadleaf weeds, Drive to kill crabgrass, Dimension to prevent crabgrass. Some are not cheap but they are not the watered down concentration you probably get from the Ortho or similar hose end sprayer that comes prefilled.

Is ortho a bug killer? A neighbor recommended it to me for my cedar hybrid trees for worms, but he couldn’t 100% remember the name.

The 2 most common one start to flash off around 80 degrees . So you need to store them under that . I think I was told 60-65 is the right temp to store

I just use vinegar.

Dumping gasoline on the soil is the worst thing you can do. What goes on the soil ends up in the water.

Re
I'm guessing you're applying a broad leaf weed killer on your lawn? Why not use a dry weed and feed type fertilizer instead?

The broadleaf weed killer mixed with fertilizer is a powder and the fertilizer/weed killer needs to be applied when the leaves of the weeds are wet. And then no rain for several hours. It trans locates through the plant via the leaves. It's not a great or accurate way of killing weeds. Liquid weed killer is much better. Also one should fertilize in early spring or fall but spray weed killer in May/June.

A friend got me some weed kill that is used on the railroads. Potent stuff. It looks like little dippen dots ice cream balls and a Mason jar full has lasted me years and works great even still, although I only mix a little at a time.
One time I didn't feel like mixing some up just to kill a persistent weed in the crack of my drive way so I sprinkled a dozen little pellets so next time it rained it would get it. Boy did it get it, and a 3 foot wide 12 foot long path in the grass to the curb where it also killed a bush. After a year of no grass I dug out about 6 inches of topsoil and replanted the grass and bush. First really hard rain it killed out everything again. 3 years later grass has finally started growing again.

Last edited:
Re

The broadleaf weed killer mixed with fertilizer is a powder and the fertilizer/weed killer needs to be applied when the leaves of the weeds are wet. And then no rain for several hours. It trans locates through the plant via the leaves. It's not a great or accurate way of killing weeds. Liquid weed killer is much better. Also one should fertilize in early spring or fall but spray weed killer in May/June.
Of course you are completely correct. I just associate those hose end sprayers with folks who want the easiest solution possible, which to me is a weed and feed product.

dbias - it sounds like you maybe have been given Ureabor, in case you want to look it up?

One thing I have noticed....since Roundup got sued, that stuff doesn't kill anything. I've have bought two bottles in the last 3 weeks and the best it did was stunt weed growth. Disappointed.

Back