What’s your favorite weed and grass killer spray concentrate?

I pull weeds in the garden, cut them back with a weedwacker on hard surfaces, and leave them everywhere else. I don’t need that garbage polluting the waterways or spoiling my soil.

On topic ...
Anything with glyphosate in it; mixed to the proper ratio of about 5% for application.

Off topic ...
I love goats, they are the happiest creatures on earth.
You'd be happy too if you could eat/digest anything without gut distress, sleep when you felt like it, and had no general cares.
It's all fun and games until someone comes to take you away to the slaughter house.

I grow some food in my garden and I have used my portable steam cleaner to kill select weeds. I can shove the nozzle into the ground and kill the roots. Spraying a mix of 10% acetic acid and Campsuds kills growth above ground. Maybe I could sprinkle cornmeal on my tomato plants. Most corn has Roundup in it. 😉

Are you looking for a selective (use on turfgrasses) or non-selective (use to kill everything)? I haven't had much use for a non-selective in the lawn, which is mostly fine blade Bermudagrass. What I do use is either Q4 or BioAdvanced (used to be Bayer) on the turf. I used to used a straight 2, 4-D, but found that products with additional actives like Dicamba and Quinclorac work much better with less injury to the turfgrass. The BioAdvanced is about 95% as good as the Q4, but 1/4 the price, so I now use it with great results. I always finish with some high nitrogen quick green up fertilizer with iron to feed the grass and speed past any injury the herbicide causes.

I have the hf version of this.. if you are a pyro at all you might giggle a little bit inside.
sounds like a hot air balloon.. WHOOOOSH.
View attachment 214903

It will also frost over a 20lb propane tank fast..
I keep my propane on a dolly if I'm doing a bunch.
Yup, these are way more fun than spraying Roundup.

The violets are had to kill. They have waxy leaves and a vigorous root system. I also have a problem now with pear and crabapple trees sprouting by the thousands. Those are probably the hardest to eliminate. The Trimec that has the crabgrass killer has Quinclorac 75 DF in it. You can also buy that separate. It's what I had to get to kill the violets. They still come back so yearly treatments are a must if you want to eliminate them.

16oz to 2 gallons water with about 12oz of diesel for good measure. One application usually lasts all summer. Can be strengthened for heavy brush and trees
1000007013.jpg

Folks like to mix their glyphosate based weed killers extra strong, but on a lot of plants, the 1.5 to 2% mixtures work better. Mixing it stronger gives the appearance of it working better because it kills the plants back faster, but for a lot of plants, it kills off the top growth before the systemic action has time to work on the roots. For a lot of hard to kill plants, you're better off making a 1.5% application and repeating it a month later than a single over strength application.

IFA, a farm and store chain here in Northern Utah, has a leaflet that they post by the weed killers. The leaflet has a recipe for "Killing Hard-to-Kill Weeds in Non-Turf Areas".

For each gallon of water:

1 oz spreader sticker/wetting agent.
2 oz. 2, 4-D.
3 oz. glyphosate.

For the 2, 4-D, I use MEC Amine-D, from Loveland. It has a couple extra active ingredients, in addition to the 2, 4-D acid.
I'm not particular about the glyphosate, as long as it is 41%.
For the spreader sticker/wetting agent, I use either the recommended IFA product or Hi-Yield Spreader Sticker.

I've been pretty happy with the results.
Mmmmm 2-4-D + glypho

I don't know if its better, it seems to stick better, i've noticed that some weeds seem repellant, and the spray rolls off like the plant is waxed, the soap seems to help with that. Dawn is what i use also.

I like to spray early in the morning (7 AM) when the grass / weeds are damp and it absorbs the weed killer very quickly.

Back