you landlords out there, do you roll or spray the inside?

i have a rental that is in bad need of having the interior painted . this is the first time its been vacant in 15 years . i would not say its trashed, but the paints in poor condition. in the past i rolled and it take a long time to do a whole interior of a house. was thinking of getting a sprayer and doing it this time.

So you guys out there that have painting experience with a sprayer, is it worth the cost of a machine ? is overspray a big issue? i am not going to spray multiple colors. its all going to be off white .

Thanks

What kind of machine are you talking about? You get what you pay for with airless sprayers, and a cheap sprayer can be more trouble than it is worth spraying latex paint on walls and ceilings. Over spray can get on windows, and in places you don't want it to, and sprayed paint should be back rolled for better adhesion and easier touch-ups. If everything is the same color, brush and roller work goes pretty fast. Having said that, if you know how to use a sprayer, mask off and cover what you don't want hit with over spray. You can move quickly with a good airless sprayer. Keep in mind if you want semi gloss on trim work, most of that is going to have to be done with a brush and roller if you're spraying walls and ceilings.

Make sure you use a good respirator and have good ventilation. Also keep in mind HVAC systems can suck up and deposit paint throughout a house without you even knowing it.

I have done 3 out of 6 of my 6 plex I use to own, but I also used to paint auto's for 35 years for a living. The downside, the prep work, took me about 2 days to mask everything and I did not spray the bath or kitchen. I also would only spray if I was going to pull up the carpet! The benefit to me was, I was going to have apply Kills, and paint. I could spray a 2 bedroom, hallway, living room, dinning room, laundry room in about 1 hour for kills, wait an hour to flash, hour to spray paint. Clean sprayer, remove gloves, clothes, head sock, and head cap, "Don't forget that" and walk away till the next day. Then brush and roll bathroom and kitchen.

I just think about how bad I hate rolling ceilings! Spraying, much better! But the prep work, is well, more work! So think about it like this, do you have to apply kills or double coat of a whitish color? Spray, thats what I chose. Kills is also cheaper than paint, and you can get away with just 1 coat of color then if you spray.

Last edited:
I also used to paint auto's for 35 years for a living. The downside, the prep work, took me about 2 days to mask everything
That's the thing with body shop and paint guys doing DIY work at home, too much attention to detail. A body guy I knew hated working with gypsum and ended up using Bondo to fix his sheetrock lol.

My brother and I flipped 4 homes last year. I live in a ranch I had built with a walkout basement which has a 800 SF apartment I rent to a couple.

The shallow paint trays and 9" rollers make the job take longer. If you go with a 9" roller, at least get a deeper paint tray. Lots of pros use a 18" roller to roll ceilings quick. We used a 14" roller to make quicker work and extensions. We used a brush for the cut-ins and a 4" roller to back roll it. When you paint the ceiling first and are doing the typical white ceiling and the walls with a different paint, you can roll and let some ceiling paint go on the wall, just be careful you don't have thick globs of paint or runs from poor technique.

A good YouTube channel for anyone that needs to learn how to roll a ceiling or do cut-ins..... is Paint Life TV.

Here is my 9" and 14" roller setup so you can see the size difference. 14" is faster minus the minute longer it takes to clean the roller cover.

IMG_6688.JPG

My brother and I flipped 4 homes last year. I live in a ranch I had built with a walkout basement which has a 800 SF apartment I rent to a couple.

The shallow paint trays and 9" rollers make the job take longer. If you go with a 9" roller, at least get a deeper paint tray. Lots of pros use a 18" roller to roll ceilings quick. We used a 14" roller to make quicker work and extensions. We used a brush for the cut-ins and a 4" roller to back roll it. When you paint the ceiling first and are doing the typical white ceiling and the walls with a different paint, you can roll and let some ceiling paint go on the wall, just be careful you don't have thick globs of paint or runs from poor technique.

A good YouTube channel for anyone that needs to learn how to roll a ceiling or do cut-ins..... is Paint Life TV.

Here is my 9" and 14" roller setup so you can see the size difference. 14" is faster minus the minute longer it takes to clean the roller cover.

View attachment 209599
thanks . its not a huge house but i always hated painting with a roller ,especially the ceiling . i am going to paint door jamb etc and all in one color so a sprayer should work ok. not a lot of windows in this small place either.

you guys that did spraying, did you use premium paint or just HD specials?

I used this one, but it will not spray the super thick cigarette smoke stain blocking kills, just a warning if you have some smoke residue on walls and ceiling. It will bleed thru anything but Zinzer oil base blocker, or the super duper Kills. It does spray all other Kills with ease. "You never spray Zinzer" it would just about kill you! Its bad enough to roll the stuff.

The sprayer that sprays the super kills is $600.00+

These are about half that.

PS, you might be able to rent 1 if its a 1 time use.

i have a rental that is in bad need of having the interior painted . this is the first time its been vacant in 15 years . i would not say its trashed, but the paints in poor condition. in the past i rolled and it take a long time to do a whole interior of a house. was thinking of getting a sprayer and doing it this time.

So you guys out there that have painting experience with a sprayer, is it worth the cost of a machine ? is overspray a big issue? i am not going to spray multiple colors. its all going to be off white .

Thanks
I worked appartment maintenance and I asked a couple of the painting companies about this. The reply was more or less you can spray paint inside but it can be messy and alot of work without alot of prep. All of our painters used a wide roll and went to town and got done fast. I wouldn't use latex paint. I think Behr makes an interior paint that is scuff and mark resistant and cleans up easily if it gets dirty.

Back