Quality Of Gasoline, Who Makes The Best And Worst?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Sunoco (USA) isn't on the list. I am amazed. I thought (no intel, I know) Sunoco was "race car fuel" and other super-duper advertised stuff. Kira

Sunoco used to operate their own refineries and offer unique products. Now they charge too much for burnt coffee. Time moves on.

exxon nearby sells unleaded non-ethanol still, one of the last around me too do so, but my old beaters like it alot better than ethanol loaded gasoline.
our 2009 car doesnt have a problem with the ethanol though....

All fuels are blended to federal requirements so are essentially the same. Individual company additives make them unique, and set them apart from a fuel marketer with no additives.

Top Tier gasolines have MORE detergents than the minimum federal requirements and this is preferred by automakers to extend service levels and avoid the cost of warranty servicing. Extended service levels are convenient to owners too.

It is important to use the minimum Octane your engine requires, and there is no clear benefit to running a higher Octane than required. Fuel requirements are in the owners manual, and often on a decal at the fuel filler cap cover. I buy premium fuel, as my performance engine requires 91 Octane.

There is no longer any issue with the stability of ethanol-blended fuels in storage, and except for older vehicles that weren't designed for ethanol, ethanol's cleaning and water-absorption properties are healthy for engines.

The least monitored part of the fuel supply chain is the gas bar, and so daily handling practices at the service station impact fuel quality the most. Pick a well-managed and maintained gas station for the best quality, and if keeping your vehicle for 10+ years, use fuel from a marketer with an additive at least 1 in every 10 fills.

Last edited:
My "TT" is anything without ethanol. I just use my Pure Power app on my iPhone to find those stations selling gas without ethanol.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Which company makes the best gas and why? i like Shell And BP but what about the others??

First of all... BRAND name that is on fuel MAKES NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever. Only gullible or uneducated people believe otherwise. Sorry, not trying to be a dink about it, but that's just a fact.

Now, with that said, you should always buy the cheapest gasoline per gallon that you can. (Unless you are wealthy and then it really doesn't matter, right?!) Keep in mind however, that the fuel that you buy needs to meet the Minimum OCTANE Rating required for your vehicle's engine. Look in your vehicle's owner's manual and it WILL tell you in there. Most (not all, but most) gasoline engines require 87 octane or better.

HOWEVER, many of the higher sport-performance engines in stock form, as well as any modified engines pre-production will often require higher octane fuel, such as 89 or 91 or 93 octane. Then there are racing applications where octane in the hundreds is required... but I don't believe that really applies to this thread.

Anyhow, run the cheapest stuff that meets the requirements of your vehicle's engine and observe the results. If your engine runs fine without any pinging/knocking/detonation (typically heard under a load, such as heavy acceleration from a stop or when hauling/towing a heavy load), then you have nothing to worry about.

What you will achieve by purchasing the cheapest fuel that you can locally is simple. You will save a bunch of money over a year's time, and you can "bask in the glow" of still having a "pot to pizz in" at the end of the work week!

Cheeri-o!

Originally Posted By: Gebo
My "TT" is anything without ethanol. I just use my Pure Power app on my iPhone to find those stations selling gas without ethanol.

Almost impossible to find any gas around my area without ethanol in it. And, if you do manage to find some, it's WICKED expensive!

My suggestion: We all need to heavily lobby the douche-tard bureaucrats to change the current ethanol fuel laws and BAN the use of ethanol as a requirement for gasoline production. If you "want" to use that garbage, then you should have a CHOICE, and we should not be FORCED to use it, as we, the general public - ARE.

Greedy and foolish politicians have pushed ethanol down our throats, and that garbage causes engine performance problems, as well as hurts fuel economy. Those two facts have been proven over and over again in real-world testing.

BTW, the whole "ethanol" topic should be started on another thread.

Originally Posted By: LaszloToth
There is no longer any issue with the stability of ethanol-blended fuels in storage, and except for older vehicles that weren't designed for ethanol, ethanol's cleaning and water-absorption properties are healthy for engines.

Whaaaat?!?! Look LaszioToth, that part of your comment (quoted above) is simply NOT TRUE. I manage a fleet of vehicles, and many are seasonal gasoline-powered vehicles. The 10% ethanol blended 87 octane gasoline that we use (and is commonly found at all area gasoline stations) does NOT store well at all over a 6-month period, and it DOES often cause engine performance issues the following spring as well as increased consumption of said fuel throughout the daily operating season. We know this based on real-world experience, and tracking of our average fuel consumption from past to present on a yearly basis since the ethanol blend was forced down our throats by our supplier 2 years ago.

At the end of the day, ethanol was and still is a huge mistake. It has been forced down our throats by bureaucrats that have been lining their pockets with money from a failed/flawed policy that they put into place years ago.

It's high time people wake up and get off the whole "go-green" bandwagon, and maybe do some real research before leaping into really bad decisions that affect everyone.

The federal government's ethanol blending requirement for gasoline is yet another reason why gasoline is so very expensive at the pumps where the majority of us live nowadays... Just another fact to consider when you wonder why you can't afford to feed your family at the end of the week/month.

LasioToth, I do agree with the rest of what you stated in your original posting, not quoted in my reply for space considerations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back