So what’s considered top tier now?

I always thought the typical guys were top tier. Looks like BP doesn’t carry the title but exceeds. Is there a current list with a date showing that’s top tier now? My civic calls for regular and I’ve been using shell, but should I be using something else?

For what it’s worth I don’t see top tier logo at Costco or my shell? Does that mean I’m chasing dreams lol

I just avoid the unbranded hole in the wall stations and assume I'm getting decent gasoline.

I don't specifically look for the "top-tier" label as many nice stations with brands that should qualify (Valero, Sunoco, Costco/Kirkland etc.) don't display them.

On the flip side, I've noticed many of the old crusty, run down, ghetto looking stations have branded with Sunoco or others recently; receiving new pumps, color coordinated veneer on the building, LED signage, etc. but it's the same old filthy store. Do I trust that owner to pay for and add the additive that makes it "top tier" gasoline? The same fuel truck can be seen delivering fuel to different brands in my area, so the additives aren't coming from the truck that pumps it in the tank.

I always thought the typical guys were top tier. Looks like BP doesn’t carry the title but exceeds. Is there a current list with a date showing that’s top tier now? My civic calls for regular and I’ve been using shell, but should I be using something else?

For what it’s worth I don’t see top tier logo at Costco or my shell? Does that mean I’m chasing dreams lol
My uncle shell and my local Costco both have top tier stickers on the pumps

I just avoid the unbranded hole in the wall stations and assume I'm getting decent gasoline.

I don't specifically look for the "top-tier" label as many nice stations with brands that should qualify (Valero, Sunoco, Costco/Kirkland etc.) don't display them.

On the flip side, I've noticed many of the old crusty, run down, ghetto looking stations have branded with Sunoco or others recently; receiving new pumps, color coordinated veneer on the building, LED signage, etc. but it's the same old filthy store. Do I trust that owner to pay for and add the additive that makes it "top tier" gasoline? The same fuel truck can be seen delivering fuel to different brands in my area, so the additives aren't coming from the truck that pumps it in the tank.
Generally the local station does not add the additive package. To my knowledge only Costco adds an additive package on-site. I can only assume it is to cut costs, they get just the plain non-additive product from the refinery/tank farm, & do it themselves.
The fact that you've seen "the same truck" delivering to different brands means nothing. Oil companies do not run their own trucks, they are contractors. The brand-specific additive package is added at the loading point, & the driver dumps it at the specified station. No one drives with partially filled tankers, the wave is too dangerous, & delivering small loads is not cost effective.
One driver I knew said he hated loading up with Chevron, because they are so picky on their additive package that if they get it wrong, they'll dump the load & make them load again. Driver gets paid by load &/or mileage, so sitting still is losing money.

Even tho it’s not listed on the pump?
I had heard that during the pandemic, supply chain issues led to shortages of additive materials, so not all locations were getting it. That prompted stations to remove the stickers from the pumps (actually they are dispensers), because they may or may not have the correct additive package. That sticker CANNOT be displayed if the product doesn't meet the spec. That should have been cleared up by now, but I guess no one is in a hurry to put them back on.
One station, Quick Trip (QT) has the certification clearly stated on it's dispensers, & the Top Tier sticker highly visible. I think their biggest competitor is Buc-ee's, which is not on the list.

Some of the top, Top Tier brands (there are many more):

Shell
Mobil
Exxon
Chevron
Marathon
Valero
Costco

I can understand not wanting to visit places like that.
Wish I could support it as it’s a in the neighborhood station, but they literally do not care about the place at all. Is there a way to contact Marathon and let them know the franchise isn’t being reflected well?

Top Tier contains additional detergent additive above what is required by the EPA. It equals about 3x the LAC level of detergent. BP recently (within 12 mo.) dropped Top Tier because they believed their Invigorate fuel outperformed Top Tier. Which it probably does.

Back