QSUD 5W-30 Noisy

Originally Posted by Marco620
Originally Posted by OilUzer
Maybe your car likes a real (closer to real I should say) syn oil better
grin2.gif

I wouldn't change the oil now but next time go back to what you and your car like.

I just did a M1/Redline cocktail this past oci and its quiet. Its really hot too so its possible that any oil could be noisy OR you could be due for a valve lash adjusting. Hemi had ticks and found two noise issues. One was low quality fuel other was just needed a more robust oil. My guess...Its maybe not the oil.

Moly
shocked2.gif

it helps things to run smoother but you are correct, it won't fix the problems.
That's why I like Red Line and Amsoil.

I think op's noise may go away in 2 weeks. I've experienced that before. There could be an initial tribofilm war between the oils. idk.

Originally Posted by JerryBob
Changed the Mobil1 EP 5W-30 with QSUD on my 2015 Tacoma V-6, and the engine is noisier, and there is a valve tapping on the driver's side. This was after a 2 hour trip in the engine.

Should I ignore it, or switch back to EP? The QSUD was cheap enough to where it won't kill me to drain it out.

It's not the oil. Does the engine have VVT? they can get stuck when you do and oil change.

I would pull the filter and put a a different unit on.

Don't top off the oil. Just yet

I've had engine noise issues with Toyota Filters made in Thailand. MAJOR problems.

these VT noise issues tend to go away with Lexus JAPAN filters or classic Champ Labs Non-Ecore Filters.

You can get engine noise issues with high detergent load and fresh oil sometimes -
- but they are often more subtle than overt.

- Ken

grin2.gif

I wouldn't change the oil now but next time go back to what you and your car like.

M1 5w30 is still semi-syn at best.

QSUD base is likely majority a synthesized lubricant , but a paraffin.

People throw around the word "synthetic" like its the greatest thing since sliced bread.

But What synthetic? there are many synthetic lubricants. PAG, AN, POE, PAO, DiEster, etc

What Special Blend? What DP?

I recall VW warned AGAINST using synthetic oils in their engines in the late 80's - The classic 1.8L with KE Jetronic.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
The last time my engine went overt, it was when I tried ArcoGraphite and Gulf gas.
Quaker State Synthetics always gets high marks here..... ***Stars

I would only put a 1/2 qt in a sump like and Additive.

It killed our Arco Station Z28 327 Camaro Drag car in the late 70's

Maybe.

Or so the Driver said.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
grin2.gif

People throw around the word "synthetic" like its the greatest thing since sliced bread.

But What synthetic? there are many synthetic lubricants. PAG, AN, POE, PAO, DiEster, etc

I recall VW warned AGAINST using synthetic oils in their engines in the late 80's - The classic 1.8L with KE Jetronic.

More fake news. Modern engine oils are a blend of base stocks for higher performance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by walterjay
That's unusual. I have found QSUD to be quieter in all of my engines. If the oil level is good, I would just leave it be until the next oil change.

+1 ... Never heard of noisy QSUD 5W30 in an engine before ?

Originally Posted by tig1
grin2.gif

More fake news. Modern engine oils are a blend of base stocks for higher performance.

More at: Lowest Cost for a Targeted Perfomance.

Then Lie to the Consumer.

But we know the blame for this old game starts at British Petrol's doorstep.

Fake news?

I think NOT.

Been watching TV too much, Mr. tig welder.

[
...these VT noise issues tend to go away with Lexus JAPAN filters...

- Ken

Where do you get these Japan oil filters? I'll buy cases of these.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by Gebo
banana2.gif

I used to chase after those weird filters back when Carson Toyota sold them online. The Toyota version appears to be unavailable but I've "read on the Internet" that they may still be available from Lexus somehow.

I used them for quite a few years thinking that because they were different they were better. But the only time I've ever gotten a cold startup rattle on any of my vehicles was once in northern Wisconsin using one of those filters. I quit using them and it's never done it since.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by JerryBob
Changed the Mobil1 EP 5W-30 with QSUD on my 2015 Tacoma V-6, and the engine is noisier, and there is a valve tapping on the driver's side. This was after a 2 hour trip in the engine.

Should I ignore it, or switch back to EP? The QSUD was cheap enough to where it won't kill me to drain it out.

Exact same oil filter used this time? If not, that may be the culprit.

Yes, I usually use a Fram XG3614, and did so this time around.

grin2.gif

More at: Lowest Cost for a Targeted Perfomance.

Then Lie to the Consumer.

But we know the blame for this old game starts at British Petrol's doorstep.

Fake news?

I think NOT.

Been watching TV too much, Mr. tig welder.

No, but many of the post you author or incorrect.
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted by Gebo
[
...these VT noise issues tend to go away with Lexus JAPAN filters...

- Ken

banana2.gif

IDK anymore Gave up on Toyota "Quality" Its legendary alright - maybe from 30 to 40 years ago!

My Toyotas came from the FACTORY with foam media Toyota Branded Denso filters.

At that time. all the service replacement Thai Denso did not flow any oil.

Ruined 2 engines on this garbage.

Maybe the new stuff is better or the FAKES have left the market - -though I think not.
Back in the Mid 2000's Junk filters were rampant.

Toyota would not sell you the Factory part number But Lexus reserved them for Lexus.
Lexus didn't "cheap out" on Thailand made garbage. The Thai Filters "appeared" well constructed
but I can only guess that they had filter paper flow rate issues. Too much resin impregnation or porosity out of spec.

GEBO, What Lexus selling these days?

For my Yaris, These Worked:

[Linked Image]

Last edited:

spankme2.gif

Evidence, Mr. Prosecutor?

Or just a Random hit job like Big Oil is want to do?

Last edited:

spankme2.gif

Evidence, Mr. Prosecutor?

Or just a Random hit job like Big Oil is want to do?

Like the one you posted in this thread, and the many like it. What does " like big oil is want to do" mean? You lost me on that one.

Last edited:

Maybe the new stuff is better or the FAKES have left the market - -though I think not.

That's unmitigated nonsense. I ran those same filters on my ECHO and my Sienna back then and for 20 years now.

You post some whoppers but this is beyond ridiculous.

Originally Posted by kschachn

That's unmitigated nonsense. I ran those same filters on my ECHO and my Sienna back then and for 20 years now.

You post some whoppers but this is beyond ridiculous.

My experience is different than your than yours, and I proved it was a filter issue.

I call you out Catch Can. You are full of Sludge..

Back