Puroloator - all kidding aside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purolator's Boss seems to be fine in the models that do not have the adbv cut by the inlet holes. Even that is not a performance problem as the cuts are sealed tight. It just looks bad. The standard Purolator has the same can thickness as a Fram Ultra, the Boss is thicker. I measured them with a micrometer. All standard consumer Frams appear to use the same can. They test it so even though it is on the thin side it is thick enough.

Originally Posted By: Peter_480
Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes
Once a tearolator, always a tearolator

I have to challenge this. Not because I love Purolator or anything like that, but look at Fram. They had a horrible reputation for a long time and now this forum is filled with Fram fanboys. So companies are perfectly capable of turning around a bad reputation. But that simply won't happen overnight.

The only problem I see with that statement is from the looks of it Purolator is in no hurry to turn things around. The media tearing issue has been going on for years now. I figure let someone else use them, and when the problem is fixed, for as many years as it existed then maybe they got it right.

Fram turned things around, and has a presence here, and showed they cared. Purolator well that's another story. Time will tell.

My bad, sorry everyone. I guess I thought the problem was solved because many people have cut and posted pics of the new Pure Ones without media or ADBV tears. I see now that even some of the new ones are still having issues.

It's best then, to stay away from the Classic and the Pure One. However, if the oil filter on your car has the opening facing upwards there shouldn't be an issue with using Purolator Synthetic (PSL) filters and Purolator Boss (PBL) filters.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
My bad, sorry everyone. I guess I thought the problem was solved because many people have cut and posted pics of the new Pure Ones without media or ADBV tears. I see now that even some of the new ones are still having issues.

It's best then, to stay away from the Classic and the Pure One. However, if the oil filter on your car has the opening facing upwards there shouldn't be an issue with using Purolator Synthetic (PSL) filters and Purolator Boss (PBL) filters.

Just because the base is mounted up is no guarantee the engine won't have startup rattle. If an ADBV is leaking, my 2004 Ford Ranger 4.0L V6 wll demonstrate startup rattle. The base is mounted up. Therefore, I'm not wasting any more money on Purolator product.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled

Just because the base is mounted up is no guarantee the engine won't have startup rattle. If an ADBV is leaking, my 2004 Ford Ranger 4.0L V6 wll demonstrate startup rattle. The base is mounted up. Therefore, I'm not wasting any more money on Purolator product.

Okay, so maybe it's probably best to steer clear of Purolator until they attempt to make another upgrade to their Classic and Pure One media, as well as ADBV's across the board. That said, cars which use filters that don't have/need ADBV should be fine using Puro Synthetics or the Boss.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Question is whether or not you need a filter that had a history of issues.

The Purolator synthetic (PSL) never had any issues, nor did the Boss.

I'm hoping that you're right on the PSL, since I picked up a bunch of them on clearance at 90% off from a Meijer in Miamisburg a couple of year ago. A buck each in part numbers for the older Forester and the newer Accord and Forster, although at the time I was thinking only of the newer Accord and older Forester.

Last edited:
I'd bet the PSLs should be good to go. Just like the Bosch Distance Plus filters always held up strong as well.

I have used a bunch of the Purolator filters over the years and I have never had any problems. I also cut and inspect every filter I remove.

I'd bet the PSLs should be good to go. Just like the Bosch Distance Plus filters always held up strong as well.

Actually, I think that the two brands fit into the tier like this:
Purolator Classic and Bosch Premium oil filter;
Purolator Pure One and Bosch Distance Plus oil filter;
Purolator Synthetic/Boss and Bosch Long Life oil filter.

Originally Posted By: sw99
I have used a bunch of the Purolator filters over the years and I have never had any problems. I also cut and inspect every filter I remove.

What tier (or what specific Purolator oil filter) are you using and for what vehicles?

I saw a thread that showed where the off-branded QS Purolator (classic) filter had some tears, but I've also seen a few positive threads as well, including some threads where the new Pure One held up okay without anything going wrong, and I saw another thread where a Motorcraft held up fine, as well.

Actually, I think that the two brands fit into the tier like this:
Purolator Classic and Bosch Premium oil filter;
Purolator Pure One and Bosch Distance Plus oil filter;
Purolator Synthetic/Boss and Bosch Long Life oil filter.

For current Bosch offerings, the table would be closer to:
Purolator Classic ==> Bosch Work Filter
Purolator Pure One ==> Bosch Premium
Purolator Synthetic ==> Bosch Distance+
Purolator Boss ==> Bosch does not offer a reinforced media type
Bosch Long Life seems to be discontinued.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

The only problem I see with that statement is from the looks of it Purolator is in no hurry to turn things around. The media tearing issue has been going on for years now. I figure let someone else use them, and when the problem is fixed, for as many years as it existed then maybe they got it right.

Fram turned things around, and has a presence here, and showed they cared. Purolator well that's another story. Time will tell.

I agree. If Purolator decides to get in front of this issue like Fram did, then they have a chance of gaining their reputation back.

I'm sure all the oil and filter companies are aware of this forum and probably have lurkers here. It's strange they have done nothing to correct the issue. Having torn filters cut open and displayed is not good advertising. It only helps Fram, Wix and Champ all the more.

I'm sure all the oil and filter companies are aware of this forum and probably have lurkers here. It's strange they have done nothing to correct the issue. Having torn filters cut open and displayed is not good advertising. It only helps Fram, Wix and Champ all the more.

Yep ... how many people would buy Purolator made filters if they were cut open and on display in the auto parts stores showing them with torn media? Not many.

Purolator is trying "to get in front of the issue" with their new slogan...."Nothing gets by a Purolator"....

Purolator fixed the problem with tearing media at least a year ago. All brand new filters from Purolator and Motorcraft can be trusted. Also, their previous synthetic filter (the PSL) was never affected, and neither was the Bosch Long Life filter (possibly neither the Bosch D+ as well, but I'm not sure on that).

For what vehicle are you possibly considering a Purolator?

You obviously haven't spent much time in the filter section here at BITOG, then!
06.gif

Originally Posted By: pbm
Purolator is trying "to get in front of the issue" with their new slogan...."Nothing gets by a Purolator"....

The best ironic statement of 2017.
smile.gif

Irony - the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning.

Your average auto parts store probably has more oil filters in inventory than there are active BITOG members. I love this forum, but it's a hidden corner of the internet that doesn't carry enough weight (that's an oil pun...haha). There are still people that believe Frams are garbage on the truck forum I frequent and I'd be in the same camp if I hadn't found BITOG. So unless someone like Ford goes to Purolator and yells [censored], we'll need to see a huge ground swell of support across the internet before Purolator makes a change. No large company like that will spend a penny more per unit on a commodity like filters unless their brand and/or contracts with automotive OEMs are at risk.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
For current Bosch offerings, the table would be closer to:
Purolator Classic ==> Bosch Work Filter
Purolator Pure One ==> Bosch Premium
Purolator Synthetic ==> Bosch Distance+
Purolator Boss ==> Bosch does not offer a reinforced media type
Bosch Long Life seems to be discontinued.

Okay, maybe the Classic ==> the Work filter, and the Pure One ==> the Premium, BUT, the Synthetic (PSL) is totally different from the Distance +. The Distance + doesn't have pure synthetic (white) media like the PSL does. The Boss is of course the successor to the Synthetic (PSL). And, as far as I know, you can still find the Long Life filter on Amazon.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
You obviously haven't spent much time in the filter section here at BITOG, then!
06.gif

If you had bothered to read the rest of the thread before replying you'd see I was already corrected and admitted my mistake. Enough redundancy already.

Originally Posted By: Onug

Your average auto parts store probably has more oil filters in inventory than there are active BITOG members. I love this forum, but it's a hidden corner of the internet that doesn't carry enough weight (that's an oil pun...haha). There are still people that believe Frams are garbage on the truck forum I frequent and I'd be in the same camp if I hadn't found BITOG. So unless someone like Ford goes to Purolator and yells [censored], we'll need to see a huge ground swell of support across the internet before Purolator makes a change. No large company like that will spend a penny more per unit on a commodity like filters unless their brand and/or contracts with automotive OEMs are at risk.

You're probably right. Millions of unsuspecting buyers will continue to buy Purolators, Ford will continue to brand them, and whatever other OEM channel they are sold through.

But for those of us who choose to educate ourselves via this forum, we know we have better options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back