Purchasing late model Camry

If I could find a decent Fusion with the 2.5 I would certainly buy another one. My 2012 with 2.5L has 180k now, I purchased it July of 2015 with 24k miles, paid $15k. It has been incredibly reliable.
I have done some checking on the used Camrys out there. From what my wife and I have seen, we can get one that is two or three years old with around 30k miles for a savings of about $2,500 versus brand new. About $25k versus about $27,500 for base models.

I would likely buy new if it were for me - but the next two are for my kids, and I need 2 of them in succession ?
Same boat for me. It's a challenge today to say the least for the kid car situation.

OT, but I just looked at a 2014 Nissan Frontier 2.5L, AT, 4x2 w/ over 150K rust belt miles on it. The pics he offered looked good, but she was a beauty from afar. Fella wants $6950 for it. I didn't even entertain an offer.

It’s skewed by how they collect their data…. And their refusal to further break down why a vehicle got a particular rating.
Most research prides itself on peer review; CR is a closed ecosystem.

I, on BITOG, might invite OP to read more on ToyotaNation for better details. CR recommends only more CR products.

A subscriber who buys "the best" that CR recommends is unlikely to admit they have problems, so might declare a repair to actually be maintenance, particularly if a willing dealer encourages this. Psychology at work. Plus, like Yelp! reviews, we don't know if a radio-entertainment system that gets software glitches counts the same as the headlights going out in the middle of the night.

The car is a fine choice if you can find the deal you want. Aeons ago they sold a loss leader in the config you wanted, for Enterprise and Uber. Gray paint, very low $20ks, new.

Most research prides itself on peer review; CR is a closed ecosystem.

I, on BITOG, might invite OP to read more on ToyotaNation for better details. CR recommends only more CR products.

A subscriber who buys "the best" that CR recommends is unlikely to admit they have problems, so might declare a repair to actually be maintenance, particularly if a willing dealer encourages this. Psychology at work. Plus, like Yelp! reviews, we don't know if a radio-entertainment system that gets software glitches counts the same as the headlights going out in the middle of the night.

The car is a fine choice if you can find the deal you want. Aeons ago they sold a loss leader in the config you wanted, for Enterprise and Uber. Gray paint, very low $20ks, new.
Yes - this.

I will add - the decision on whether a vehicle needed a major repair is subjective to the person being surveyed to some degree.

There is not ANY data published. For example your Toyota might have 1 major defect per 5000 cars in the first 5 years, and a Kia 1 per 4000. Depending on the range of vehicles in that sample the Kia might get a big black mark, and the Toyota a "CR Best Buy", which is fine, except the entire segment might be pretty good, you would never know.

Additionally, they only survey CR readers. So automatically your sample is wildly skewed to a certain age and demographic. But that number isn't published either.

Never trust data you haven't manipulated yourself.

I have done some checking on the used Camrys out there. From what my wife and I have seen, we can get one that is two or three years old with around 30k miles for a savings of about $2,500 versus brand new. About $25k versus about $27,500 for base models.

Used, you will be buying a 30K car with 30K of wear on the brakes and tires (or replacement will be the cheapest available.)
Brakes and a decent set of tires will eat up about half of that price differential.
So that really takes you down to about $12-1300. difference.
For that kind of differential, buy new and have a full warranty behind it, and make your own used car.

As much as I am a Toy fan- I bought new in 2015 (wifey insisted- I still feel ripped off) anyway ended up with Honda, at the time Toy had so many recalls.

Buy new and trade it at the 3 year mark, costs you $2k/year to drive a brand new car under warranty. Cars quit depreciating a little over a decade ago.
You might be on to something at least in the current market. Just checked, 2020 Camry LE 45k miles, trade in value is $21,413. Had a $24,970 MSRP.

You might be on to something at least in the current market. Just checked, 2020 Camry LE 45k miles, trade in value is $21,413. Had a $24,970 MSRP.

I should have put a disclaimer on my first post in this thread, luxury brands (especially sedans) still depreciate like crazy. The exception is Porsche.

I've been swapping out new cars every year or two for the last 10 years without much out of pocket to upgrade.

i’m very happy with my 2013 vw passat s 2.5 five-cylinder. i got it as a cpo in 2014 at 9500 miles, now 115,000 miles. the corporate automotive msm grossly maligned the 2.5, but it and the accompanying 6sp a.t. are rock solid. vw (and all german cars) need scrupulous attention to required maintenance schedules, mine is religiously dealer-serviced, all good. 2014 was the last year of the passat 2.5, so any available 2.5 models are long in the tooth now. i would be leery getting a 2.5 today unless i was totally sure of its use and maintenance history.

my looming problem is what to eventually replace it with when it inevitably dies!

A couple of things...

First off, the $2000 a year depreciation expense is completely bogus. Your taxes and other government fees are going to likely be at least $2000 if not more
Not every state has an ad valorum tax on vehicles. In Florida it costs the same to register and tag a 20 year old Camry as a new one. The sales tax difference on what the OP is considering is minimal. He posted that the difference in a new vs. the 3 year old Camry he is looking at is $2,500 so at 7% the sales tax difference is only $175. And that 3 year old car will soon need a new battery ($100) and a new set of tires ($600-$800). Buying the new one is a no brainer.

I have had several Toyotas. All good. The last was an Avalon and it was great. I wanted sporty this time and bought a 22 WRX even though I am 70. I have used Camry rentals a number of times and always try to get one. In terms of driving, a Fusion is very comparable.

If I could find a decent Fusion with the 2.5 I would certainly buy another one. My 2012 with 2.5L has 180k now, I purchased it July of 2015 with 24k miles, paid $15k. It has been incredibly reliable.
The OP is from Charlotte, not Florida (3% vs. 6% tax).

As stated earlier, used is the far better buy.

Update (sort of):
Looked at a couple "Certified" used Camry, they were turds.
Looked at a bunch online (of course), emails and texts with sales folks.
Found a 2020 Camry, fsbo on Craig's. Elderly couple. Wife does not drive anymore; husbands' eyesight is failing now too.
Car is set to come off of lease, 15k miles on it. Asking $24k. Was taken to Toyota dealer for 5, 10, and 15k service.
Question: I have never gone through this before. He says that he spoke with Toyota regarding selling it to a third party (me). Toyota is to send him a form. I put my name, address, and phone number on it, and send them a cashier's check for $15k and they will send me the title. I pay him $9k.
Anyone familiar with this process? Any concerns here for me?

Update (sort of):
Found a 2020 Camry, fsbo on Craig's. Elderly couple. Wife does not drive anymore; husbands' eyesight is failing now too.
Car is set to come off of lease, 15k miles on it. Asking $24k. Was taken to Toyota dealer for 5, 10, and 15k service.
Question: I have never gone through this before. He says that he spoke with Toyota regarding selling it to a third party (me). Toyota is to send him a form. I put my name, address, and phone number on it, and send them a cashier's check for $15k and they will send me the title. I pay him $9k.

Is this a V6 XLE or a 4 cyl with cloth seats?

No, man. For $2500, you gotta buy new.

Update (sort of):

Please proceed and tell us how it works out.

A couple of things...

First off, the $2000 a year depreciation expense is completely bogus. Your taxes and other government fees are going to likely be at least $2000 if not more, and historically vehicles usually lose around 30% to 40% of their new car value over three years. The only reason why values in the used car market have remained strong since 2021 is the chip shortage, and that's already abating.

You also have a disposition fee when it comes to leasing along with the bogus dealer fees that come with purchasing a new car at a dealership. All these costs make new cars money losers once you do the math.
No idea what you're talking about - I have never seen desirable new vehicles lose 30-40% in the first 3 years unless they were exceptionally high mileage examples.

In CA the doc fee is limited to $85. Registration fees for a new vehicle vs. a 2-yr old one are within $1-$200, if that.

If a buyer succumbs to dealer add-on's, the joke is on them.

I like the new Camry body style, I see a lot of them on the road. All my vehicles are late model, I have a old 3rd gen 96 Camry XLE V6 with 300,000 miles and I gave my daughter my 09 Camry LE with a little under 200,000 miles… If I purchased another car it would definitely be a newer model Camry.

Back