Proper phone charging

1701199379461.jpg

Yup, more money for Apple, because the cable they ship with iPhones is usb-c instead of usb-a so it doesn't work with the 5w cube.
The iPhone box is also smaller so they can ship more of them with the same size container.

I'd think most people won't buy an Apple USB-C power adapter. I have a couple (packaged with iPads) but they're still in the box. The ones I use are third party including Anker and two of a house brand from a discount store, although the latter are UL approved. Those cost $10 each.

Samsung doesn't package a power adapter either.

My iPhone 14 is now 16 months old. I fully charge it overnight and sometimes use it while charging.

I simply don't care. Period.

Oh and I use 3rd Party cables and such. I'm doomed. Come on man!!
Same here but on a 13 pro max that’s almost 2 years old. For my entire 12 hour shift at work (except breaks) it sits on a charger at 100% while streaming music/podcasts/youtube. 91% battery life remaining according to the phone.

Sometimes it gets a fast charge off the MacBook charger at home, sometimes it slow charges off the couch, but all 3rd party cables 🤷🏻‍♂️

BTW my battery life is 99%

I do switch between LPM and regular, maybe that's a good thing, but LPM certainly does extend a charge, with no noticeable slowing of functions.

My battery health is going down fast. Was at 81% a few weeks ago, was at 80% for maybe a week and is now 79% with a warning to replace it. I will set up an appointment and do it at the Apple Store. $89 for Apple to replace it.

IMG_5934.PNG

I keep Adaptive Battery and Protect Battery (85% charge max) turned on. I tend to charge when the remaining battery capacity reaches 20%. I use the supplied manufacturer's 25W charger at home and when traveling, I charge in the car via USB or I use a power bank. My last phone was 4 years old at the time of its violent, fiery, and watery demise and it still had excellent battery endurance - roughly 2 days with average use.

My battery health is going down fast. Was at 81% a few weeks ago, was at 80% for maybe a week and is now 79% with a warning to replace it. I will set up an appointment and do it at the Apple Store. $89 for Apple to replace it.

View attachment 190837
I’m still running a 12pro. So a few years old. But the battery is getting to the point where capacity loss is noticeable.

I was going to change batteries, but a Black Friday deal and change to T-Mobile is resulting in a 15pro…

IMG_0751.jpg

I’ll be interested to hear how the battery replacement by Apple works out.

Where is all of this supposed "heat" coming from? I'll charge my phone from 20% to 100%, (it takes less than an hour), and notice nothing to the touch afterward as far as any temperature increase.

Where is all of this supposed "heat" coming from? I'll charge my phone from 20% to 100%, (it takes less than an hour), and notice nothing to the touch afterward as far as any temperature increase.
Ohms law. Are you denying it?

Maybe your nerves are numb. Maybe the phone is on a big, cool mass. I don’t know the situation.

If the resistance of the battery is lower, the heat generated is lower.

I'd think most people won't buy an Apple USB-C power adapter. I have a couple (packaged with iPads) but they're still in the box. The ones I use are third party including Anker and two of a house brand from a discount store, although the latter are UL approved. Those cost $10 each.

Samsung doesn't package a power adapter either.
My cheap Motorola edge came with a real short wire and no power adapter

Ohms law. Are you denying it?

Maybe your nerves are numb. Maybe the phone is on a big, cool mass. I don’t know the situation.

If the resistance of the battery is lower, the heat generated is lower.
I'm not "denying" anything. I'm simply saying if there is all this heat being generated, I can't notice anything.

At least not with my phone and charger. My charger takes about an hour or so to take the battery from 20 percent to full charge.

Perhaps a more powerful charger would generate more heat?

At least not with my phone and charger. My charger takes about an hour or so to take the battery from 20 percent to full charge.

What phone? What charger?

My Pixel 5 will charge at about 20 Watts or so, and it will get noticeably warm while doing it, but nothing crazy.

I'm not "denying" anything. I'm simply saying if there is all this heat being generated, I can't notice anything.

Don’t forget that what is dissipated through the skin of the phone is different than internal to the cell. Depending upon the materials and their heat transfer you may feel more or less, amongst a host of other battery and phone design factors…

Don’t forget that what is dissipated through the skin of the phone is different than internal to the cell. Depending upon the materials and their heat transfer you may feel more or less, amongst a host of other battery and phone design factors…
I don't doubt that. The guts are perhaps a little warmer. But I can barely feel it at all.

Back