Proper phone charging

So basically minimize heat, that's nothing new.

I'd suggest charging it at night, with the old school 5w Apple charger and turn on charging optimization.

I'll periodically use MagSafe charging (magnetic wireless) when using GPS on longer trips. And I have a high watt charger at work if for some reason I need battery, but I'm usually only using 50% or less of my battery in a day.

My 2 year old phone is at 94% battery health.

I put mine on the charger at night and take it off the charger in the morning. I usually do that for 2 or 3 years and buy a new Apple phone. It's not cheap but it works great for me.
Yeah - have to start the day charged bcs I can’t predict how many problems will come my way (or if on time off - BiL calls😵‍💫)

I'll bet that article is full of ads. These guides about how to charge phones are ridiculous anymore.... Just like @Rand says, these things are all opinion by non "experts".

To prolong battery life only charge to 80-85%, many Samsung phones have that feature, which shuts off charging at 85%. Don't know about other phones.
How long are you trying to get out of a phone/battery?

If I'm at 94% health after 2 years, and it's linear, I'll be around 88% at 4 years and 82% at 6 years. 82% battery health is still plenty usable but will be getting a little long in the tooth as a whole for the phone.

I wish Google would add that feature to all Android phones at the OS level and not leave it to individual phone manufacturers to figure out.
Many manufacturers are in the business to sell batteries and/or new phones.
How long are you trying to get out of a phone/battery?

If I'm at 94% health after 2 years, and it's linear, I'll be around 88% at 4 years and 82% at 6 years. 82% battery health is still plenty usable but will be getting a little long in the tooth as a whole for the phone.
Just don't want it to be an issue, if I can do something to help, why not. My battery lasts all day. Once in a while I will charge it to 100% with a 5W slow charger, just to remind the battery what its actual capacity is.

I've read to prolong lithium ion batteries you should charge them when they reach 20% and stop charge when they reach 80% . I have two different bluetooth speakers and both warn of low battery when they reach 20% .

I can't tell you how to charge your phone, but I can tell you how I do it.

Samsung S23+, 512.
Always limit charging to 85%.
Only charge in the morning (takes about 20 min) remove from charger when done.
Never charge overnight.
Never use fast charging.
Never use wireless charging since I discovered that the charging pad produces heat of it's own.
Usually sit something cool from the fridge on the screen while charging. The charger is next to the fridge.

As far as how long I expect it to last, I'd say 5 or 6 years. Samsung is including 4 free OS updates @ about 1 per year.
Just got Android 14 two nights ago.
Typical battery life is 2 days, but charging every morning does not let the battery go below about 50%.
So maintain battery from 50 - 85%. (24 hrs)

you cant charge a battery to its 100% its software limited. The bad habits are anything that cause heat:
overcharging
fast charging
wireless charging
charging only at zero
etc

In my cell phone collection are several phones which are pushing between 10-15 years. They all still charge fully but get no use other than games, tunes and old phone numbers. Very light use. My previous phone to the Sammy A53 was a A10e. It's in my truck for 911 calls if I forget my new phone. From fully charged to needing recharged is about 8 months.

The main factors that increase lithium battery degradation are high temperature and high charge level. Charging is especially bad because it combines both of these conditions, but a fully charged battery just sitting unused at high temperature will also degrade very quickly, which is one reason they're shipped at a partial charge.

You can buy charging stands with fans to keep a phone cool while charging. I have a computer fan that I wired into an old DC adapter, to set my phone on while it's charging, and I try not to charge over 90%. My 6 year old phone battery is still going strong.

What is considered "fast charging"? The OEM charger can charge up my OnePlus8 from 20%s to just over 90% (I try to remember to unplug at this point) in about 30 minutes. It takes much longer if I plug into a USB port on my PC.

Do whatever you want with the phone and charging. Phone is there to serve you not the other way around.

Batteries seem to last fine on iPhones depending on how much used. Daughters last about 3 years(charged 2 times a day) wife’s iPhone XR at 80% capacity after 5 years.

My iPhone 14 Pro at 91% after 1 year of heavy usage. I high speed charge daily once.

I personally always keep the phone between 45-60% charged on most days which is super easy to do with a wireless charger and since I'm usually at my desk. If I'm going out for the day outdoors, I might top it up to 70-80% beforehand. I get super long usable lifespan out of my phones this way and it's really not that inconvenient once it becomes a habit.

My previous phone is 6 years old, retired to gym/navigation/beater duty and the battery still works great. At this point, I stop caring too much about charging habits.

In general, I wish more consumer electronics would have this as a built in feature. Especially for laptops which are plugged in 90% of the time. We've also reached a point in which modern electronics have diminishing performance benefits with each generation. So for me, I have no issue keeping phones/laptops for 5+ years at a time.

Back