yay or nay on wireless charging

one of the reason i liked the iphone i have is wireless charging . seems to work really well. i noticed that a large amount of people i know that have iphones still seem to wire charge their phones . Some say the battery last longer . i know it can't be the price of wireless charger because there are plenty of under $20 ones all over amazon

So do you do wired or wireless charging. if wired, what is the reason for it

Wired mainly unless I’m right there with it. My phone gets extremely hot if I do wireless charging so I would never trust it while I’m away or sleeping. I try not to charge it while I’m sleeping at all as I don’t want to overcharge it. But wired for me almost always. All of my iPhones have gotten extremely hot when wireless charging. Whatever works for you but I like wired best especially since I’m a heavy sleeper I would not even know something was wrong till I woke up or someone woke me up.

Wireless anywhere it's available, because I don't have to plug anything in and I've been told the lower current of the wireless charging is easier on the battery. I have wireless at my desk and in the truck. @JHZR2 is that true?

I only need to charge every 3-4 days so its simple to just plug it in every few days to charge overnight. No idea if it can even charge wirelessly, not that I really care.

I've gone to about 99% magsafe charging. The phone will throttle things if temps get too high. With optimized charging, it won't charge much about 80% during the day anyway.

oilBabe was not good about charging her phone, so I put a magsafe charger/holder in her car. She has yet to run dead with her new iPhone since we've switched to MagSafe charging.

It's just easy. Put the phone on the puck and go. I have a couple of the Belkin Magsafe certified chargers and the ESR chargers in our cars.

one of the reason i liked the iphone i have is wireless charging . seems to work really well. i noticed that a large amount of people i know that have iphones still seem to wire charge their phones . Some say the battery last longer . i know it can't be the price of wireless charger because there are plenty of under $20 ones all over amazon

So do you do wired or wireless charging. if wired, what is the reason for it
The under $20 are probably Qi and while they will charge at the 7.5w rate, they are not as fast as MagSafe.

Yeah, I have a sub $10 one from MicroCenter I keep in my travel bag. It will charge and is probably as safe as any, but not as fast as the MagSafe certified chargers.

Updates by Apple will support Qi2 once those devices are in the wild.

I've been 100% wireless charging for 6-8 years now. It's so nice not plugging/unplugging everytime I have to go help a coworker, move rooms, etc. Only time I use wired is when travelling or in the car because the phone holder I like doesn't have that feature.

Wireless charging is definitely going to be effectively current limited, which should help with longevity. One possible drawback is conversion inefficiency, which then becomes heat. If there's heat trapped with the battery, that could reduce longevity. However, I've yet to experience any time where my phone got hot from wireless charging.

My main issue with Qi charging is that sometimes it doesn't work well. I've seen it where it was showing as charging but the charge level just didn't increase. But that could be a matter of the cabling and other factors.

Wired for me. I almost exclusively kept my iPhone 12 Pro Max on a wireless charger at work 12 hours a day while streaming podcasts/music and within a year the battery was reporting 85% remaining. With my 13 pro max it has never seen a wireless charger and is currently sitting at 88% at 2 years old.

wired charging for me. I have tried wireless, but it takes a long time to get to 80% charge and I also got worried about the iPhone getting very very warm after only 8 minutes of charging. Surely, all that heat is not good for the battery.

I have my Samsung S21 Ultra set up to never charge to more than 85%. My Corvette has a wireless charger built into the pocket to hold the phone. In the house, I also use wireless charging. But in the other two cars, I must use a wire. My phone battery seems to be holding up fairly well. Never charging to 100 percent is supposed to extend battery life, and the S21 Ultra has a larger than typical battery.

Wireless would be great, my phone isn't equipped though. I have replaced the charging port once on this thing when it wore out.

imho nay. It would have to be inefficient using common sense (did we all sleep through HS physics). Would we want to wirelessly charge our gasoline powered vehicle batteries? Seems to be a gimmick imho--is there anyone in the world who is too lazy to plug a cable in? It's really a ostentatious sign of development, class, and opulence. Kind of like when someone buys a winter jacket for $1,800 and wears it to church or the office. Don't tell me you can't think of 3 brands that fit that bill, and you don't know anyone who wears them.

I'm waiting for wireless clothes drying--that would be the ultimate display of I don't care how much energy I waste, I'm a rock star.

imho nay. It would have to be inefficient using common sense (did we all sleep through HS physics). Would we want to wirelessly charge our gasoline powered vehicle batteries?
Wireless charging works well for low amp applications. It would not work well when charging a vehicle battery because the rate of charge can be very high at times (typically at start up after the battery voltage is lower than desired). Plus, there are times when the loads on a vehicle battery necessitate high current flow (such as electric cooling fans coming on). Also, the predominant vehicle battery tech is lead acid or agm; both a flooded cell type design and not Li-Ion such as cell phones. Your example is moot because the two situations are not really comparable due to amp-rate charge and discharge demands.

I'm waiting for wireless clothes drying--that would be the ultimate display of I don't care how much energy I waste, I'm a rock star.
Clothes dryers are convection items; they heat the air, which in turn dries the clothes. We'll leave the gas dryers out of this and concentrate on the electric ones ... They already are a device that uses a sense of induction to transfer heat indirectly from the coils to the clothes. In the scenario of charging a cell phone battery, the goal is to charge the battery voltage up, and the byproduct of wasted energy is sensible heat; that's true waste because heat is generally useless to a battery. But in the scenario of a clothes dryer, there is no voltage to store in clothes; the entire goal of the dryer is to use sensible heat to evaporate moisture from the clothes. The goal here is not energy transfer by voltage, but energy transfer by heat. In a layman's sense, the clothes dryer already is a "wireless" device; so again your example is moot.

I get what you're aiming at, but your aim is poor and your targets are poorly chosen. Wireless charging is a matter of convenience, and those conveniences sometimes come at a cost to some other part of the equation (in this case, efficiency). Further, there are other topics yet to be considered, such as the physical contact of the charge cord into the phone port. How many times has someone carelessly ripped their cord from the phone port in haste, only to damage the cord and/or phone port? Further, ports can become dirty with debris or particulate, and prohibit charging all together until cleaned. Neither of these is a problem with an induction charger. So again, convenience of induction charging may, in some situations, outweigh the slight inefficiencies of the charging process.

Last edited:
Been a while since I read up on air coupled transformers, but if they are resonated, they can be low loss. Whatever isn’t coupled simply circulates, until it is. Leaving just IR loss. Radio design used for decades, even in the high power output section (take a look at the Johnson Matchbox, thatks a classic antenna tuner/coupler).

I do like wireless charging, and it’d be hard to give up. Its like every other convenience in life, once had, hard to leave. Maybe if I didn’t carry my phone around? not doable, when I go to work I have to take my phone with me.

I use wireless charging when I can because I like to keep my phones a long time and the constant plugging/unplugging can damage the port which I've had happen to me before.

It's also far easier on the battery to charge at a slower rate, my galaxy will charge very fast on a wire which is nice in an emergency but not great for battery life.

Back