post your latest transmission lubricant change.

2018 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 LT2 45731 miles.

Out 4.5 quarts through dipstick tube
In 4.5 quarts Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

This means more than 100% of ATF has been exchanged in the last 25K miles or so. I'm done with ATF exchanges until next summer and I plan on doing one pump drain and refill annually.

Volvo V60 3.0L T6 R Design 2015 w/ TF80SC

52,***kms

Out: Volvo OEM fluid approx 3.1L out. This car has never had a transmission fluid change.

In: 2 x 4L fill and flush runs Penrite ATF Full Synthetic LV then final 3-4L fill level of same. Fluid counter and adaption reset is VIDA also.

Old OEM stuff was getting to past used by...

Originally Posted by panthermike
Originally Posted by Ctopher

2018 Ford Escape 2.5l 6F35 with 11k

Out: factory MERCON LV
In: 4 gallons of Amsoil SS Fuel-Efficient w/ multiple fill/drain
[Linked Image]

Looks dark for 11k, but I suppose might be normal with the motorcraft. Good on you for changing early ðŸ‘

Yep way too dark for me. It's my GFs and she even reported better shifting with no stuttering/odd shifts. Looking forward to see what the oil sample report says.

Ctopher

2016 Chevrolet 3500HD LML Duramax w/Allison 1000
45,922 miles and 3,149.9 engine hours

Out: Factory fill Dexron VI
In: 7.4 qts Starfire full synthetic Dexron VI + new Allison spin-on filter (29539579) and cleaned magnet.

The factory fill dex 6 looked great, slightly off color from the new fluid but still looked and smelled great. This was the second filter change/magnet clean of the spin-on Allison filter. The first spin-on filter change was at 31,072 miles with 2,073.9 engine hours on the truck.

Allison 1000 fluid/ spin-on filter change

New to my Chevy avalanche Z71 4x4, pulled drain plug, fluid looked dark, unknown if FF, refilled through dipstick w 3 qts of Castro's dex 6 and almost a qt of left over penzoil syn dex/ merc atf. Will drop the pan in the next couple of weeks to replace the filter and refill w max life atf

2016 F350 6.7 6R140

Truck now has 47.4k miles but did a pan drain, drop, filter change and refill with MC Mercon LV at 31k miles.. Added 17 oz, I believe, of Lubegard Platinum to trans fluid. I did the transfer case also and used MC XL12 and LubeGard also. I thought I heard Mercon LV is to be used now in transfer case. Anyone confirm this?

Originally Posted by daved5150
2016 F350 6.7 6R140

Truck now has 47.4k miles but did a pan drain, drop, filter change and refill with MC Mercon LV at 31k miles.. Added 17 oz, I believe, of Lubegard Platinum to trans fluid. I did the transfer case also and used MC XL12 and LubeGard also. I thought I heard Mercon LV is to be used now in transfer case. Anyone confirm this?

I asked a Ford tech, he said Mercon LV is recommended in all transfer cases now. As far as I know, XL12 is obsolete now.

Last edited:
To BlakeB: Could you provide the website where this video appeared?

My New To Me '05 Ranger with 48K needs fluids changed.

I have a motor switched transfer case so I'll use the LV.

Just trying to decide which synthetic ATF to use. I'm considering older formula Valvoline DexIII/Merc as it's good for my year transmission which was scheduled for MERCON.

Originally Posted by Kira
To BlakeB: Could you provide the website where this video appeared?

My New To Me '05 Ranger with 48K needs fluids changed.

I have a motor switched transfer case so I'll use the LV.

Just trying to decide which synthetic ATF to use. I'm considering older formula Valvoline DexIII/Merc as it's good for my year transmission which was scheduled for MERCON.

https://youtu.be/Sd-0tit_ZAI

04 Avalanche Z71 4wd
Out: unknown and a mix of castrol dex6 and penz atf
Pulled the old filter and replaced w ATP filter and gasket, appears the previous owner did this before as there was evidence of rtv between the gasket and the pan.
IN: gallon of Valvoline dex/ merc and topped of w some Castrol dex 6.

The shifts are butter!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
2002 Honda Odyssey 203,500 miles

Out: 5 qts Honda DW-1
In: 5 qt Honda DW-1

Replaced the radiator also, hence the 5 qt needed , instead of the usual 3.5 qt for the drain & fill.

2005 Chevy Avalanche 1500 4l60e : siphoned out 3 qts through the dipstick hole. Added 3 qts of Supertech dex/merc HM. I do this a couple of times a year. Seems to be working so far. 208,000 miles on original transmission.

2008 Jeep Liberty.

Out: Castrol ATF+4 and OE filter.
In: Castrol ATF+4 and OE filter.

Replaced OE transmission pan with Dorman pan with a drain plug.

2013 Civic LX 1.8L 179k

Out: 3 quarts of DW-1
In: same

Approximately 98% hwy mileage on this vehicle in its life since I bought it new. Trans still shifts as good as the day I bought it with a once a year drain and fill.

Edit: I did change the inline trans filter last time I did a drain and fill as well. Admittedly late change on the filter, but still good to go.

Last edited:
Haven't finished this one yet as I ran out of time last night and need to do a band adjustment while it's apart, but this one was nasty. I'm also waiting on the Permatex on the gasket to set up(probably not needed, but I didn't have enough hands to hold the gasket and pan in place as separate units while I put bolts in)-I'll give the pan a final wipe-down before reattaching.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I only got about a quart out the drain plug before it plugged with sludge.

I'm afraid the nastiness in it is a sign that it's on its last legs, but I'll hope that it's just from sitting 10 year. Even so, I'm shopping for either a replacement or a good rebuilder.

Once buttoned back up, it will get 6 1/2 pints of Type F. I have a mix of STP brand and SuperTech, since when I went shopping I couldn't find enough of one brand to fill it. We'll see if this one comes back to life.

Changed the ATF in my grandsons Ford Fusion 2.5.

Out: Valvoline Max Life 4.2 qts

In: Valvoline Max Life 2.2 qts

Originally Posted by tig1
Changed the ATF in my grandsons Ford Fusion 2.5.

Out: Valvoline Max Life 4.2 qts

In: Valvoline Max Life 2.2 qts

OOPS!! In: 4.2 qts

Back