Please Rank These Fully Synthetic Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Fram Ultra, e-z to get, best filtering, silicon adbv, low cost
2. Amsoil EAO and TRD: These look similar, and I'll assume they are. Both decent but cost more, like Royal Purple filters.
3. Wix XP and NAPA Platinum: Same filters, only labels are diff. Not great inefiltering efficiency, but OK.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Fram Ultra, all day every day.

Not that those other filters aren't good, but the quality, price and availability of the Ultra make it an easy decision for me.

My feelings exactly. I used Mobil 1 filters for a long time, but at the current price levels I won't be using them anytime soon. IMO Ultra offers the best bang and filtration for the buck.

So it seems very few of us are familiar with TRD. We don't think very highly of Napa Platinum/Wix XP. Highest Quality are Amsoil and Fram Ultra. Ultra wins based on price and availability.

Does that about sum it up?

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Does that about sum it up?

Just buy the Ultra and stop wasting bandwidth.
laugh.gif

Ultra wins based on price and availability. Does that about sum it up?
Ultra also wins on iso 4548-12 filtering efficiency test results, and its even claimed to be 80% at 5 microns, which no other oil filter has ever reached. So add "performance" to the reason to buy an Ultra.

These are filters that have been found to fail in service ~ I failed them all with very little side force …
When I tried the same thing on used M1, Wix, and even the Orange Can Of Decent (with 6K) … none of them tore … these have weak media. Period:

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Ultra also wins on iso 4548-12 filtering efficiency test results, and its even claimed to be 80% at 5 microns, which no other oil filter has ever reached. So add "performance" to the reason to buy an Ultra.

That's amazing info. Where did you get that? I have been on the Fram www and haven't seen much technical info. How does the Amsoli filter compare with those specs?

That's amazing info. Where did you get that?

The 80% @ 5 microns came from Jay Buckley (Fram Rep) who is a member here as 'motorking'.

That's amazing info. Where did you get that? I have been on the Fram www and haven't seen much technical info. How does the Amsoli filter compare with those specs?

Yes the Fram site only claims 99% at 20 microns. This is the big problem there is no industry standard and of lot of them are jacking us around playing their little marketing games. The rating should be required on the box using the same standard to achieve that rating.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Yes the Fram site only claims 99% at 20 microns. This is the big problem there is no industry standard and of lot of them are jacking us around playing their little marketing games. The rating should be required on the box using the same standard to achieve that rating.

Actually its 99%+ I think that "+" is because as the filter loads up with carbon over 20k, it becomes more efficient than 99% @20um.

The accepted and latest "industry standard" to determine oil filter efficiency is ISO 4548-12, which Fram and a few others test to and reference in their claims. Other companies that don't list a standard, or just list a percentage efficiency without a corresponding micron rating are the ones playing little marketing games.

The Ultra filter media is good at depth-filtering, since its thicker than most. Traps dirt that way, and its what allows it to get to 80% at 5 microns. And yes ISO test 4548-12 is a standard test to compare filters the same way.
As pointed out above by StevieC, Amsoil tests to that, and theirs does not filter as well as Ultra. If you look at the filter media of Amsoil vs. Royal Purple vs. TRD vs. Ultra, the Ultra is the only one that is 2-ply and thick, very telling.... Key to slightly better performance of the Ultra. The others aren't bad, and indeed better than most run of the mill oil filters, yet the Ultra leads the pack.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
2-Ply and as thick doesn't assure microscopic filtration. We can't see what's going on at the 20um level.
wink.gif

The Ultra is thicker, not just "as thick" as the others. Secondly, 4548-12 results for the Ultra correlates well with what we see. It simply performs better. Thirdly, we can do other visual inspections to see how all-synthetic fibers are thinner individual fibers and therefore trap more at the same flow rates across the media. This is a comparison at the same magnification of synth vs. paper filters:
glass_vs_cellulose-resized-600.png

Notice the synth on the left traps smaller particles while preserving adequate flow rates. In other words, at the same flow rates, the synth fiber filters better.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

The accepted and latest "industry standard" to determine oil filter efficiency is ISO 4548-12, which Fram and a few others test to and reference in their claims. Other companies that don't list a standard, or just list a percentage efficiency without a corresponding micron rating are the ones playing little marketing games.

I'm not so sure the 4548-12 tells the whole story, but would certainly agree its bitogs favorite single point go to test, at the moment at least.

Take in point the Cummins Strata Pour Venturi 2 stage filter they claim is both full flow and scrubs to 5 microns in its second stage but offer no 4548-12 number?
Is is the held view of the "4548-12ers" , that Cummins are hiding something or lying about its capabilities or playing a marketing game?

Or is there something possibly something inherent with a 2 stage design that isn't immediately obvious in a 4548-12 alone?

UD

Agreed! They should have ratings for 20, 10, and 5 µm right on the box for when the filter is new.

But since there are so many sheeple out there that don't know or don't care or don't care to know they will just go with whatever advertising works best for the masses

Originally Posted By: Kuato
They should have ratings for 20, 10, and 5 µm right on the box for when the filter is new. But since there are so many sheeple out there that don't know or don't care or don't care to know they will just go with whatever advertising works best for the masses

The sheeple observation is why I think Fram is crazy to offer a $9 oil filter that performs this well and doesn't use paper media or blended glass-paper media. Its bad business. Good for us, yes, yet thats a profit-generating company. They should offer a merely slightly upgraded ToughGaurd and call it an Ultra to compete against the paper-glass Mobil1 filter, and market it in ambiguous terms to appeal to sheeple. Right now, the Ultra competes on the shelf (to ignorant consumers) with M1 Ext Perf oil filters, and people don't know the difference in construction or performance. Bad marketing position with a superior product. Glad they do it though!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back