UK - Synthetic Media Oil Filters?

Hi all 😀

I have a car that's often driven short journeys. I have seen that often oil filters that have synthetic media rather than cellulose media often have a lower differential pressure. As such I would think this would allow the bypass valve to close earlier when the oil is cold?

With that in mind, I am in the UK and I am looking for filter brands that specifically state "Synthetic Media". A bit like your Purolator Boss filters in the US.

So far I can't seem to find any brands that sell in the UK that state specifically that they are high flow synthetic ones.

Does anyone know any brands that do this type in the UK? It seems over here, we just aren't as focussed on filtration and oil changes as those over the other side of the pond, and as such no one really advertises these things.

Thanks! 😀

Hi all 😀

I have a car that's often driven short journeys. I have seen that often oil filters that have synthetic media rather than cellulose media often have a lower differential pressure. As such I would think this would allow the bypass valve to close earlier when the oil is cold?

With that in mind, I am in the UK and I am looking for filter brands that specifically state "Synthetic Media". A bit like your Purolator Boss filters in the US.

So far I can't seem to find any brands that sell in the UK that state specifically that they are high flow synthetic ones.

Does anyone know any brands that do this type in the UK? It seems over here, we just aren't as focussed on filtration and oil changes as those over the other side of the pond, and as such no one really advertises these things.

Thanks! 😀
Depending on how the media is made, Cellulose, Cellulose blend, synthetic blend, synthetic etc. and it's debris holding capacity along with oem considerations determines what PSI a filter will bypass at. I wouldn't worry too much about the bypass setting as long as the filter is designed to be used in your vehicle there will be no issues.

I wish I could help you on the filter brand but just to be clear you're looking for synthetic filters that are made in the U.K.?

You'll probably have to import some, Amsoil may be the easiest to get internationally, from what I've seen the high-end DIY market filters seem to be a mostly North American thing, in Europe unless you have a car where the manufacturer uses a synthetic cartridge as the standard they're not really a thing.

Hi all 😀

Thanks! 😀
Maybe the UK doesn’t fall for all the gimmicks they feed the U.S. only time I ever used a filter with synthetic media was a freebie that came with a jug of oil from advanced auto. Was a fram titanium. Save your money they’re aren’t necessary

Depending on how the media is made, Cellulose, Cellulose blend, synthetic blend, synthetic etc. and it's debris holding capacity along with oem considerations determines what PSI a filter will bypass at. I wouldn't worry too much about the bypass setting as long as the filter is designed to be used in your vehicle there will be no issues.

I wish I could help you on the filter brand but just to be clear you're looking for synthetic filters that are made in the U.K.?

They don't have to be made in the UK, just sold here so I can get my hands on them.
I don't mind paying a few £ extra to know it's top of the tier filters. Same with oil. The difference in price from worst to best filter wise from what I can see is about £10. Over a year that is basically nothing to know I have the best filter. 😀

You'll probably have to import some, Amsoil may be the easiest to get internationally, from what I've seen the high-end DIY market filters seem to be a mostly North American thing, in Europe unless you have a car where the manufacturer uses a synthetic cartridge as the standard they're not really a thing.

Yeah maybe. But I'm just hoping someone has seen a brand that often uses Synthetic media. 🙂

They don't sell the Fram Ultra or Endurance in the UK? Or any other "US brand" filters? Looks like UK eBay has some Ultras listed.

Last edited:
Real world there’s no difference.
There is depending on some factors, you just can't detect it from behind the steering wheel, and you might see a difference in engine health if you keep it long enough. Yet, you're using that "gimmicky" Fram Titanium, lol.

Last edited:
There is depending on some factors, you just can't detect it from behind the steering wheel, and you might see a difference in engine health if you keep it long enough. Yet, you're using that "gimmicky" Fram Titanium, lol.
Yes I love pear shaped passages over my adbv. 😉 the clerk handed me the filter when I bought an advanced auto oil promotion… I would have preferred the car quest premium but they were out of stock.

Yet, you're using that "gimmicky" Fram Titanium, lol.
Then the fram ultra synthetic is a gimmick also? Really a titanium is an ultra synthetic private labeled for advance auto. Don’t know what’s up with the pear shaped baseplate passages guess to make it appealing?

Yes I love pear shaped passages over my adbv. 😉 the clerk handed me the filter when I bought an advanced auto oil promotion… I would have preferred the car quest premium but they were out of stock.
Titanium is better than the Car Quest IMO.

Then the fram ultra synthetic is a gimmick also? Really a titanium is an ultra synthetic private labeled for advance auto. Don’t know what’s up with the pear shaped baseplate passages guess to make it appealing?
Yeah, I know all about the Titanium .... but those "tornado" swirl base plate inlet holes don't work 100% unless you also have a "tornado" swirling device in your engine intake tube. 😄

I've tried and failed to get any information out of manufacturers over here about filters. Usually I just get told they meet the OEM requirements/specifications.

I've bought some really cheap and nasty filters in the past from companies like Blue Print or NAPA.

For years I've stuck with Mann Filters. They always seem really well put together and far heavier than the cheaper filters. Never had a bad Mann Filter!

Though I've recently started using Bosch filters for my Duster and I'd put them in the same basket with Mann. All seem to be really well made.

Op, take the car on a 30+ mile run on the motorway on a weekly basis. That will boil off any condensation in the engine. As far as a filter, I stick to filters made by the suppliers of the filters to my car's manufacturer. For me that's MAN, Hegths and Mahle.

You Should Look into Purflux Oil Filters. I get them Shipped Internationally to the U.S. They are Made in France. Very Solid Filter! They use Chevon Pleats for more Filter Media.

Back