Plastic/Nylon Oil Drain Plug Gasket??

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I have heard that you can safely flip a crush washer over and use it twice but not the life of the vehicle.

You can reuse them but they need to be re-annealed. There are probably a lot of youtube videos with both right and wrong ways to do that, lol.

No harm in a nylon washer.. I’ve used nylon when oe wasn’t available but I do prefer and will normally buy oe crush washers along with filters. But don’t sweat it just change ‘‘em out each oil change.

Originally Posted By: Dave9
Huh? Oil plug gaskets typically last for the life of the vehicle, failure is not expected. You didn't put some kind of oil flush chemical in that ate up the original gasket did you?

Not exactly. We've had several vehicles that used a drain plug with a rubber gasket built in, after a while they loose their thickness and leak. Recently changed the plug on the Liberty because it was seeping, and it wasn't cause it was loose (fact that thing was tight!), the rubber was just shot. It was the first change for us anyway and that's a mandatory item for me. Also had a vehicle with the nylon, no issues with them as I changed them out every couple oil changes.

Now the GTI on the other hand has a goofy plastic plug and rubber o-ring. I replace those every time contrary to people saying they can be reused.

I didn’t realize VW had that set up. Is that similar to what current model Toyota Tacoma’s use?

I didn’t realize VW had that set up. Is that similar to what current model Toyota Tacoma’s use?

Current gen Tacoma's still use the aluminum-like blue coated washers they've been using for years, unlike the plastic VW plug. Supposedly you can use them a couple times (the Toyota). I'll change them out every other oil change. Our '15 Camry uses them as did my 2009 Tacoma with the 4.0L. Ironically my current Tacoma uses the same filter and washer as the Camry so stocking extra filters and washers is much easier...

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Oil drain plug gaskets should be changed every time.

Copper, aluminum, plastic, nylon - buy a bag of them for your and you don't have to worry about it.

+1

Never heard of someone re-using it for life of vehicle. They arent expensive.
Funny because I have never, in 44 years of driving replaced one. I just cannot fathom how they would NOT seal after years of use. And if it does fail what's the worse that can happen....a could of oil spots in my driveway?

Last edited:
They always lasted me quite a few OCIs on many cars, I change them just in case, never leaked.
Also, I used hardware store plumbing dept copper ones of similar size with great success in the past. But I always turn them to the other side after cleaning.

My 72 Pontiac had a plastic washer that was still original when I sold the car in 1990. I used a plastic washer on my 89 Accord and only had it crack after about ten years. It never leaked. I've been using plastic washers on my 2012 Mazda and GF's 2011 Lexus. No leaks, and they've both been reused multiple times. There's no need to crank down too hard on the drain plug. With that said, I liked the look of that Smart-O plug and ordered one for the Mazda because a regular hex head will be easier to deal with that the Allen head plug that the car came with.

Huh? Oil plug gaskets typically last for the life of the vehicle, failure is not expected. You didn't put some kind of oil flush chemical in that ate up the original gasket did you?

Regardless, yes it should be fairly reliable, but don't over-torque and crush it.
Not true, sold lots of them

I love the plastic drain plug and O-ring. Easy to open and lock (not 'tighten')
with just a flat-blade screwdriver (or a coin). The plastic made it easy for me
to modify plug, drill it and fit a magnet from the outer end so that there's no
chance it could be lost and get into the crankcase. I use to use a new O-ring
every time. It's similar to some current Fords btw.. I'm not familar with Toyota.

what kind of car? Honda filters, for example, used to come with a metal washer every time.

I would have no worries at all with using a plastic washer, none.

Never heard of someone re-using it for life of vehicle. They arent expensive. the cost isnt a factor usually-its just having one around when the oil change happens that sucks! Most people don't plan as far as the gasket when they pick up their favorite oil and ecore at Walmart
So buy a bag of your favorites and toss 'em in the glove box. Bingo!

I use a thick (~2 mm) aluminum drain plug washer gasket in all my stuff. Never change them and they never leak.

20211007_152332-1.jpg

In the past, I've had the factory copper washer last up to 250,000 miles. Currently at 188,XXX on a vehicle w/ the factory washer(copper) 100% leak free. Not changing it until it starts to leak. The only vehicles I have that get regular washer changes are GM's with the rubber seal.

Back