Duramax LML possible head gasket and piston issues

I had a 2003 Duramax 6.6. It threw its belts, and I had to drive it that way around 7 miles to the dealer. A head gasket blew. and there were more problems. I got a rebuilt engine.

Never again on a GM diesel for me. I have a BMW 6 cylinder dual turbo 3.0 liter diesel in my BMW X5, and it seems to be much more reliable and rugged.

My son just bought a rebuilt 6.4L Ford engine for his truck. All of the known problems are repaired/upgraded. 17k, no injectors or common rail pump. He will size and install the pump and injectors himself. No emission equipment is installed. No turbo. I think the turbo from the old engine is good. The rebuilder recommended a tune for it and he will also install it. Probably 25k when all done. It would be more, but he is doing the work himself with shop equipment.

I had a 2003 Duramax 6.6. It threw its belts, and I had to drive it that way around 7 miles to the dealer. A head gasket blew. and there were more problems. I got a rebuilt engine.

Never again on a GM diesel for me. I have a BMW 6 cylinder dual turbo 3.0 liter diesel in my BMW X5, and it seems to be much more reliable and rugged.

The water pump is gear driven, Throwing the drive belt wouldn't cause a overheat.

I have to correct myself. My son said he’ll be 17-18k in his truck engine all in. I misunderstood him at some point. All we need to know is a diesel engine is very expensive to repair or replace and doing good preventative maintenance is essential for engine life.

I have to correct myself. My son said he’ll be 17-18k in his truck engine all in. I misunderstood him at some point. All we need to know is a diesel engine is very expensive to repair or replace and doing good preventative maintenance is essential for engine life.
Well some engines were better the day they were built than others. I think the 6.7 PSD is probably better than many of the pickup truck diesel engines. For mine I have not added really added anything beyond a bypass oil filter so it's pretty much stock. I only buy Exxon or Mobil fuel. 5W40 synthetic motor oil. Towing is limited to moving my 27' boat from marina to repair shop if work is needed. I don't romp on the gas pedal from a stop light. It's got 150K miles and so far engines issues limited to emissions equipment. And those were mostly under emissions warranty or recall.

You know how to take care of a diesel. One of the main things you don’t do is idle an emissions reduction diesel! Unless it’s extremely cold, if the truck isn’t moving, you shut it down. The 6.7L Ford is a decent engine, but you need to take care of it.

Back