Pick one and why? Mobil 0W40 vs Castrol 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
Yeah, that's what M1 0w40 is known for these days... shear stability...

Actually what it is know for is the following:

Quote:
Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:

API SN, SM, SL, SJ
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 has the following builder approvals:

MB-Approval 229.3
MB-Approval 229.5
VW 502 00/505 00
PORSCHE A40

According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is of the following quality:

API CF
VW 503 01

Originally Posted By: thorromig
Just changed the oil in the Jetta in signature this weekend. Initially I picked up the 5 quart jug of Mobil One 0W40 & then put it back down & grabbed the 5 quart jug of Castrol Edge 0W40 which I used in the VW. Either one I believe is a win win but what would you have picked & why?

I will be faced with this very soon and plan to flip a coin to make my decision. I should resist the urge to change brands though since sticking with the same oil for three OCI's seems to have slowed my consumption better than anything has in the past (from 2 quarts per 5-6k miles to
Originally Posted By: 4WD
In Rat III on this site … BrocL did a great job of explaining what Rat’s angle is … being 99% don’t have a fully whacked out and disposable BBC … move along … nothing to see here …

crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: exShuttlemech
I respectfully disagree, Rat's testing shows psi shear strength differences of 50,000psi.

He won't share his methodology, so I don't know what he's measuring, and I won't accept his assertion just based upon his say-so. Take a look at the error estimates posted here before. You can disagree, respectfully or not, but the rules of error analysis aren't up for a lot of interpretation or debate, nor are they optional.

It's simple. Use a standard test that everyone in the community knows and can replicate, or you provide the complete testing methodology so others can replicate it. And, you also produce an error analysis so your data doesn't look like absolute gibberish when someone else tries to replicate your results.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
M1 0W40 because there is a MIR right now. 22.88 at Walmart with $12 back is hard to beat for full synthetic

This is what M1 0w40 is really known for. Always being on sale with cut throat pricing. I wonder why that is...

M1 0W40 because there is a MIR right now. 22.88 at Walmart with $12 back is hard to beat for full synthetic

This is what M1 0w40 is really known for. Always being on sale with cut throat pricing. I wonder why that is...

One of the finest motor oils available with a large list of approvals and specifications, priced relatively low. What's not to like?

One should be thanking ExxonMobil for not pricing it higher when they obviously could.

That's what they are both known for, that's why I have 25L of Castrol 0w-40 sitting here right now for the Jeep. Mobil and Castrol products rotate out on steep discounts at Canadian Tire, and since Castrol recommends their 0w-40 for SRT applications (despite lacking the formal approval) it was a no brainer to pick it up at less than 1/2 the price of the SOPUS SRT product with its much higher NOACK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back