Keep using A3/B4 or?

If A3/B4 are hard to come by, why not have a look at a C3 oil? (I have heard you too have low sulphur fuel now, so lower TBN of a C3 should no longer be an issue).
C3 have HTHS of at least 3.5, just like A3/B4.

I'm aiming at what I can grab from the the local walmart in a 5qt jug or box for qt. Not really an affordability issue, just principal/convenience issue.

Edge API SP dropped amount of PAO. It seems that most SP oils dropped PAO.
On other hand SP 5W40 oils bumped pour point in general below -40, mostly-42 to -45. Before, it wouldn’t be unusual to have 5W40 around-39.

I was at Wal-Mart last night for the usual stuff (dog food, plastic bins, toilet paper, lol) and as I often do when there I checked the oil isle to see what's in stock..

4 different A3/B4 5W40's... Quaker, Valvoline, Mobile, and Castrol. No 0W30 or 0W40 of any kind. This has been the usual for awhile but I have never seen such a diverse showing of 5W40 A3/B4's... They are multiplying!

The quaker was only $23 for a 5 quart jug. I put a couple bottles in the cart to throw on the oil shelf at home. Coincidentally, -39C pour point on this one.

I assume 5W40 is cheaper to produce than 0W40 or 0W30 while hitting the other A3/B4 marks, I suspect this is why they are taking over the shelves at walmart. I should probably just rationalize 5W40 as fine for my applications and just use it.

Back