Options versus dealer oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id bet easily that the cost of following their maintenance plan far outweighs one major failure to transmission or engine. Scheduled maintenance on my Corolla is probably close to 300 -350$ per oil change interval and some intervals alot more... so lets say the average is 400$ (some intervals are more) and you change your oil 3-4 times per year.. thats 1200-1600$, whereas i change my own oil for cost of say.. 15-20$, so say 60-80$, thats alot of overhead, and im sure their recommended maintenance is likely more than that.. I wouldnt bother and just do all the work yourself and if something does go in 10 years or so, worry about it then.

Originally Posted by The Critic
It's not worth it. Usually they require you to do the service packages, not standalone oil changes, in order to maintain coverage. Those service packages usually include all sorts of extras such as snake oil.

+1 EXACTLY!

Every time you do some maintenance on the car, guess how much extra the dealership would have charged you for the work and put that much money into the bank or stocks or whatever. By the time your wife is ready to buy another car, you'll have enough for a down payment.

Another problem with dealerships doing fluid changes, is that they get it wrong a lot. Stories are abundant. ... Over-filling, using a flimsy (non-Fram-Ultra!) oil filter, forgot to tighten the drain plug or over-tightened it, using the wrong brand of oil that doesn't have enough PAO or moly for our tastes (etc.).
That, and the usual high $$ charges for the routine work, and you're paying for the "Lifetime Dealer Warranty", which, BTW, you and they know won't start until the manufacturer's Powertrain Warranty runs out in about 6 years or 72k miles, a long time, and everybody knows you would have traded it in for something better. ... Or, they go out of business in 4 years.....
Thumbs down, for a lot of reasons.

a-Say no to: Extended warranties that pay 50% on the dollar at best.
b-Say no to: oil company oil related engine warranties that make you change oil twice as often as you have to.

Multiply axb and double that. That's the amount of money the stealership will hit you for if you fall for this.

Originally Posted by SnowDrifter
Do some reading on the magnuson moss warranty act

Totally useless law. So if a dealer says no to replacing your motor due to a aftermarket part-you would STILL NEED A LAWYER to enforce a claim under said act.

That's why it's totally useless....

Many dealers are under corporate ownership and have a whole room full of Lawyers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14
That's a question for the dealer, not us, I would think. It's their warranty, so they know the terms and conditions.

+1 And usually there are a lot of other strings attached to their in house lifetime warranties. Like having them perform suggested maintenance, maintenance suggested by them, not as laid out in the owners manual. It's best you check with them and get all the stipulations and requirements spelled out.

Sounds like a local Nissan dealership my way. Friends son had a versa with the so called "lifetime" power train warranty if they performed the oil change. As mentioned they want to perform other scheduled services and also would constantly find something worn out or flat out unnecessary to repair or replace. Don't hold your breath for a stealership

They will require the service interval maintenance which in the early years are just inspections but they charge 300-500 to do,when all you need is an oil change and maybe an air or cabin filter. As it is their warranty they can require you to do it. Now, what happens if the dealership changes ownership or they go out of business, unless a manufacturer warranty it is not worth the paper it is printed on!

Amen to the Honda dealers hitting you up for a ridiculous price on air filters....wife almost fell for that a year ago. On the new car, just got it yesterday, and when we were going through all the paperwork stuff, I specifically asked them about the engine warranty. They said that the dealership has to do the oil changes. That's it. Not anything else. I then walked up to the service manager and asked what kind of oil they used for the 1.5 Turbo engine, and he stated a full 5W-20 synthetic.....for 44 dollars with filter. You know, that's not actually bad because I was planning to use a M1 synthetic on it and that alone is around 30-ish dollars. So, I'll probably just let them do it but that only. Was looking around that engine and I'll be danged if I can't find where the spark plugs are. SO MUCH plastic covers in that engine bay. But, I'll do some research and learn where everything is. First time with a CVT and need to educate my self of AT fluid changes. Usually the wife takes the car in for oil changes when we had the 14 CRV, which was free engine oil changes for life, on her way to work. She'll be doing the same, but I've told her that no matter what the service "advisor" says, don't get it. I will do everything else myself, and that has worked out pretty good so far. That 2018 CRV is freakin----sah-----weet!!!!!

Originally Posted by Schmoe
I then walked up to the service manager and asked what kind of oil they used for the 1.5 Turbo engine, and he stated a full 5W-20 synthetic.....for 44 dollars with filter. You know, that's not actually bad...
Factor in getting your tools, drain pan, garage, etc ready, not having to crawl under the car, not having to dispose of the old oil - anyone who says that's not a good deal is silly.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
That 2018 CRV is freakin----sah-----weet!!!!!
My Mom bought one a few months ago. It is nice. A bit underpowered (ECO mode turns it into a dog !) but more than adequate for my Mom !

Originally Posted by Rolla07
Id bet easily that the cost of following their maintenance plan far outweighs one major failure to transmission or engine. Scheduled maintenance on my Corolla is probably close to 300 -350$ per oil change interval and some intervals alot more... so lets say the average is 400$ (some intervals are more) and you change your oil 3-4 times per year.. thats 1200-1600$, whereas i change my own oil for cost of say.. 15-20$, so say 60-80$, thats alot of overhead, and im sure their recommended maintenance is likely more than that.. I wouldnt bother and just do all the work yourself and if something does go in 10 years or so, worry about it then.

$300-$350 per oil change interval?!?!?! No. Not a chance. What are they doing to your car every interval?

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
Originally Posted by Rolla07

$300-$350 per oil change interval?!?!?! No. Not a chance. What are they doing to your car every interval?

I think he was talking hypothetical. IF the OP was going to take them up on their offer that's how much the cost would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back