Carbon deposit on "baffle" under engine oil fill cap - used 2015 Toyota Highlander

2005 likely called for 5W30. "Hybrid oil" would have been synthetic blend which is code word for very good conventional. As long as 5K oil changes were done it should be fine.

'18 HYUNDAI Accent w/ 1.6 Ltr. ( G.D.I. ) baffle . Could the buildup be from bad P.C.V. or just normal ? Nasty looking , but looks to be good inside the engine like others previous pictures . Any other out there have the baffle , if so post picture(s) . :whistle:

Around 20 minutes after 24 mile drive .

IMG_3568.JPG

About 24 hours after drive .
IMG_3643.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like about every 5 k on carfax. Oil and filter changes mostly at Toyota. Some at independents, or Brakes Plus, Big O, etc.
I wouldn’t be afraid of it if everything else is in good shape. You know the oil was changed regularly. Even if it was cheap bulk it was changed every 5k so….
You could run some Rislone or HP cleaner through it for a while for good measure.

The coating on the baffle is not from the oil. Here is the baffle on my engine. It has looked exactly like this more or less for 25 years and 470,000 miles.

IMG_5670.jpeg

Our 2005 sienna with the same engine has the same "crunchy" look since it was new. Completely normal. The sienna saw its first 6k mile oil change last month. Mostly around 4 k. The baffle just looks like that.

Thanks everyone. Mine has a non-uniform appearance - some areas clean metal, and others the baked on oil look. That's why I thought it was baked on oil. Now that I bought the car, I can take a better photo and post it tomorrow.

Back