Oops...I just bought Mobil 1 ESP 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a couple quarts on clearance and threw them in the cart, $3.80 each. Then I hop on here and find out its for Diesel engines, double check the back and sure enough, no donut. Is this okay to mix into an oil change, say 1 quart of this to 3 quarts of other 5w40 or 5w30?

I know it's Mobil 1 so maybe a silly question but is this a solid oil?

Thanks

Mobil claims that it meets API SN specifications, as found here. I would be comfortable using it.

If it has a diesel spec, it's probably fine to use for those normal 3-5k oil changes, but I wouldn't leave it in for a long 10k OCI.

But if you were going for a long interval, just get regular Mobil 1 at Walmart, the $12 rebate is still good through the end of October for a 5 quart jug. Brings your price down to a tad over $2 a quart.

Originally Posted by zerosoma
Found a couple quarts on clearance and threw them in the cart, $3.80 each. Then I hop on here and find out its for Diesel engines, double check the back and sure enough, no donut. Is this okay to mix into an oil change, say 1 quart of this to 3 quarts of other 5w40 or 5w30?

I know it's Mobil 1 so maybe a silly question but is this a solid oil?

Thanks

It is much better oil then your regular Mobil1 5W30.
Most definitely overkill for Solara, so use it with no hesitation.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
If it has a diesel spec, it's probably fine to use for those normal 3-5k oil changes, but I wouldn't leave it in for a long 10k OCI.

I must admit that I dont get that statement...

Wouldnt be diesel oil more suitable for a longer OCIs then regular PCMO?

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Originally Posted by Wolf359

I must admit that I dont get that statement...

Wouldnt be diesel oil more suitable for a longer OCIs then regular PCMO?

No, because US gas has more sulfur and diesel oil has less SAPS.
However, engine in Solara is not DI engine so sulfur in gas is not an issue. But ESP will have less SAPS.

The Mobil One ESP 0w-40 is now recommended by GM for the current Corvette. I am sure the 5w-40 version would be fine as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back