One word you can not pronounce correctly

From the book “How To Speak Southern”,
and
“More How To Speak Southern”

Caint: Cannot. “Ah just caint understand why this checkbook won’t balance.”

Carry: To convey from one place to another, usually by automobile. “Can you carry me down to the store in yo’ car?”

Cawse: Cause, usually preceded in the South by the adjective “lawst” (lost). “The War Between the States was a lawst cawse.”

Cayut: A furry animal much beloved by little girls but detested by adults when it engages in mating rituals in the middle of the night. “Be sure to put the cayut outside before you go to bed.”

Cent: The plural of cent. “You paid five dollars for that necktie? Ah wouldn’t give fifty cent for it.”

Chalstun: A city in South Carolina that Yankees call the Cradle of Secession. “Ah don’t know why they’re so upset. All we wanted was Fort Sumter back.”

Cheer: A piece of furniture used for sitting. “Pull up a cheer and set a spell.”

Chekatawlfarya?: An expression that is rapidly disappearing because of the gasoline shortage, but one that still may be heard by baffled Yankees at service stations in small Southern towns. It translates as “Check that oil for you?”

Chimbley: What smoke comes out of. “Ah bleeve that chimbley’s stopped up.”

Chitlins: It is said that there are two things you should never see being made: laws and sausages. Chitlins are another. Chitlins, which can smell up the whole county when being cooked, are boiled and fried hog intestines. Delicious, if you can forget what they are. “Ah’ll have another plate of them chitlins.”

Chunk: To throw. “Chunk it in there, Leroy. Ole Leroy sure can chunk ’at ball, can’t he? Best pitcher we ever had.”

Claws: An appendage to a legal document. “You’d be advised to study that claws very carefully.”

Clawth: A woven material from which clothes are made. “Let me have three yards of that clawth, please.”

Clone: A type of scent men put on themselves. “What’s that clone you got on, honey?”

Co-cola: The soft drink that started in Atlanta and conquered the world. “Ah hear they even sell Co-cola in Russia.”

Collards: A variety of kale, also known as greens. Southerners love them cooked with fatback, also known as the bacon that didn’t quite make it. “Pass the collards, please.”

Collie flare: A crisp white vegetable that is surprisingly good once you get past the appearance. “Lots of boxers have collie flare ears.”

Comin’ up a cloud: An approaching storm. “Stay close to the house. It’s comin’ up a cloud.”

Commence to: To start or engage in some activity. “They got in a argyment, and the next thing you know, they commence to fight.”

Commite nigh: To come very close to. “When -Sue--Ann caught her husband kissin’ that waitress from the Blue Moon, she commite nigh killin’ him.”

Contrack: A legal document, usually heavily in favor of the party who draws it up. “It’s just a standard contrack...just sign right here.”

Contrary: Obstinate, perverse. “Cecil’s a fine boy, but she won’t have nothin’ to do with him. She’s just contrary, is all Ah can figure.”

Cooter: A large turtle found in Southern streams that supplemented many Dixie diets when the Yankees came down during Reconstruction and carried off everything that wasn’t bolted down. “Goin’ to the hardware store? Get me some cooter hooks.”

Costes: The price of something. “Don’t buy lettuce if it costes too much.”

Crawss: The symbol of Christianity. “Ah love to hear ’em sing ‘The Ole Rugged Crawss’.”

Crine: Weeping. “What’s that girl crine about?”

Cuss: Profane language, or a malediction. “The Hope Diamond has got a cuss on it.”

Cut awf: To switch off. “It’s too bright in here, honey. Why don’t we cut awf that light bub?”

Cut the fool: To behave in a silly or foolish manner. “Quit cuttin’ the fool and do your homework.”

Cyst: To render aid. “Can Ah cyst you with those packages, ma’am?”

I hear that Germans have a lot of trouble pronouncing "squirrel".
I tried that with my nemesis Klaus. He pronounced it okay. Then that bastard wanted me to say Eichkätzchen. For some reason, squirrels are called oak kitties.

Last edited:
I was made awoke recently that aluminum was the original, and it was anglicised to Aluminium....
Australia has changed sulhur to sulfur now (well 20 years ago when I built a sulfur trioxide plant...)
Consistency has its merits in nomenclature. We simply started being consistent after that boat had sailed. The suffix -ium was eventually chosen to indicate an element that was metal whenever a new metal was discovered. So it makes sense to call it aluminium rather than aluminum. Aluminium fits neatly with chromium, cerium, scandium, palladium, titanium, gallium, thallium, indium, osmium, lithium, potassium, magnesium, sodium, etc.

There are of course several metals that end in the suffix -um: platinum, lanthanum, tantalum, molybdenum, and, regionally, aluminum. and the we got the ancient metals that end in whatever. gold, silver, copper, iron, lead, tin, mercury

Where does that leave bismuth? :eek:

I have tackled a few languages, and many nouns forgotten. Mandarin, Spanish, Brasil Portuguese, Italian, a little Japanese, high school German, etc

But something about Hawaiian words. I mean wahine, aloha, mahalo all flow really easy but......then let's add some time references to our greeting, just for example.

Aloha kakahiaka: Pronounced a-lo-ha kah-kah-hee-yah-kah
Aloha awakea: Pronounced a-loh-ha av-ah-kay-ah
Aloha 'auinalā: Pronounced a-loh-ha ah-wee-na-lah
Aloha ahiahi: Pronounced a-loh-ha a-hee-yah-hee
He Mele No Lilo and Ohana means family
That's all I got 😬

Compartmentalize for the longest time.
Think I've got it finally after all these years.
Knew how to spell it and what it meant but I always butchered it coming out..

A lot of people cannot pronounce the Massachusetts city, Worcester. Its pronounced locally as "Wuster". Not "Wooster" or "Wor-chester".

And in New Jersey, Newark is "new-ark". Some just say "Nork".
Newark , OH is "NERK", I've even seen School sports team shirts with it spelled like that.

A lot of people cannot pronounce the Massachusetts city, Worcester. Its pronounced locally as "Wuster". Not "Wooster" or "Wor-chester".

And in New Jersey, Newark is "new-ark". Some just say "Nork".
Newark, NJ is NEW-erk

Newark, DE is New-ARK

Rahway, NJ is Raw-way, although I pronounce it Rah-way to irritate my wife.

View attachment 147428
It's a German word for Dual Clutch transmission (Porsche PDK)
Sometimes it's an accent/regional issue
I'll take a CAWFEE and a glass of WAUUDER 😀
Difficult on the hard of hearing, almost impossible for those who are new to the English language 😳

Anyone from Baltimore around here?
Aaron earned an iron urn :ROFLMAO:

🤣🤣🤣"Wauder" is also a New York/New Jersey staple.

Mid-west and other places it is more like "Wa-ter" with an emphasis on the T.

Go down South or other places and open up your mouth and speak and you have told on yourself where you are from. Maybe meet another transplant while there, you never know.

It makes for good conversation and fun. A wonderful icebreaker.

Here's one that would make me lose a game show.. though, I have a suspicion @zzyzzx knows how to say it. (Is it "Zy-zex?")

Screenshot_20230330-082719_Chrome.jpg

Newark , OH is "NERK", I've even seen School sports team shirts with it spelled like that.

@earlyre Born and raised.. There is not just a Newark Ohio, there is Newark NJ and Newark Delaware. Newark NJ is "New Irk" said as two syllables together in one word; Newark Delaware is "New Ark" the second syllable being Ark. There may be other Newarks as well, it's possible.

Does pronouncing a few select words and nothing else with a NY accent count?

Where you are from directly affects pronunciation, though.

Newark, NJ is NEW-erk

Newark, DE is New-ARK

Rahway, NJ is Raw-way, although I pronounce it Rah-way to irritate my wife.

Spot-on with Newark! I, too, say "Rah way" LOL

Last edited:
When I grew up in Calif and most all CA natives I have met from that era say CAR-mul for caramel. So do some Washingtonians.

A few people is WA state say "Warshington". I'm like wah????

When I grew up in Calif and most all CA natives I have met from that era say CAR-mul for caramel. So do some Washingtonians.

A few people is WA state say "Warshington". I'm like wah????
I worked with a guy from Missouri. He was always warshing his hands.

It took me about 6 attempts to spit out the word "caricature" last night.

The mispronunciation that has been bugging me the most, especially when done by people on the radio or TV, is February pronounced with the first 'r' silently. I know it is an acceptably correct pronunciation to say Feh-byoo-eh-ree instead of Feh-broo-eh-ree but I just see the reason and I don't like it.

Mr Cheknita, a math teacher when I was in Grade 9, had all the boys giggling as he wrote on the chalkboard explaining "So in dis fashion, dis one is a turd of dat one."

He would turn around looking annoyed, not understanding what we found so funny.

Back