Oil stash...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Money saved is money saved.

IN ALL AREAS OF LIFE.

Originally Posted By: ATex7239
I'm still not seeing it guys and gals.

Go ahead and throw money away - it's your money.

Throw some "my way" if you feel you need to waste some, it's all good.

Then don't worry about it. I don't see the value in a lot of things that other people do. These are things that I don't worry about.

Originally Posted By: TheOilWizard
The idea is you stash the oil while it's on clearance, and that way you never pay full retail pricing. Purchasing oil at full price and hoarding wouldn't make sense.

Ex:
Retail price = $30 for 6qts
75% off = $7.5 for 6 qts

Averaging one OCI ever 3 months (4 a yr) on two vehicles
30 x .75 = 22.5 x 4 x 2 = 180 Average annual Net saving

That is less than my monthly AT&T or electric bill. It would take several years or crates of oil , on average, to see $1000 net savings, even giving the averages a 50% margin of error.

Forgive me but that seems like a relatively small sum given the long period of time to see the return on investments.

Wow.. so saving $180 on something over the course of a year is worthless to you? To me, $180 is an extra Xmas gift for the wife or daughter.. maybe a couple gifts.

.. or a new set of hubs and bearings for the car. Or a full replacement set of brake pads..

.. gasoline for 6 weeks for my Fusion..

Call me crazy.. but I'd rather save the $180 on oil and use it towards something else.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Call me crazy.. but I'd rather save the $180 on oil and use it towards something else.

+1

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Money saved is money saved.

IN ALL AREAS OF LIFE.

Go ahead and throw money away - it's your money.

Throw some "my way" if you feel you need to waste some, it's all good.

Throwing money away.... Don't be melodramatic.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Originally Posted By: TheOilWizard
The idea is you stash the oil while it's on clearance, and that way you never pay full retail pricing. Purchasing oil at full price and hoarding wouldn't make sense.

Ex:
Retail price = $30 for 6qts
75% off = $7.5 for 6 qts

Averaging one OCI ever 3 months (4 a yr) on two vehicles
30 x .75 = 22.5 x 4 x 2 = 180 Average annual Net saving

That is less than my monthly AT&T or electric bill. It would take several years or crates of oil , on average, to see $1000 net savings, even giving the averages a 50% margin of error.

Forgive me but that seems like a relatively small sum given the long period of time to see the return on investments.

Wow.. so saving $180 on something over the course of a year is worthless to you? To me, $180 is an extra Xmas gift for the wife or daughter.. maybe a couple gifts.

.. or a new set of hubs and bearings for the car. Or a full replacement set of brake pads..

.. gasoline for 6 weeks for my Fusion..

Worthless? Show me where I said that... Man, you guy are serious about your oil stashes.

Stash away. I didn't call your baby ugly.

Being an atheist; I could say the same for religion. But it's one of those things, if it makes you feel good and it isn't to anyone's detriment, go for it!

TO the OP of this thread, take a close look at those who've contributed to this thread.
Most have vehicles that are less than 5 years old and are depreciating thousands of dollars away each year. I suppose a way to offset a portion of that loss, is to save money on oil changes.

That's how I see it at least. And it's kind of a cool hobby.
Sadly we in Canada do not get the same oil prices and specials you folks in the US do, but I still enjoy seeing what oil is on sale at my local Canadian Tire store for my small fleet.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

Sadly we in Canada do not get the same oil prices and specials you folks in the US do, but I still enjoy seeing what oil is on sale at my local Canadian Tire store for my small fleet.

Yup. Have my alert set up in the CTC app for Castrol Edge. When it goes on sale at 50% off, I will load up a case.

It's not really so much about saving my money---it's just always fun to think I'm screwing an oil company out of a bit of profit.

I'm pretty new around here and have seen reference to folks' oil stash...

So, help me out with this, what is the purpose? Hoarding money, absolutely. Keeping food storage, yep. Gasoline. Toilet tissue. Water. Bullets. I get them all.

Oil stash I'm just not seeing. It's ridiculously cheap in comparison to most things, you don't need often, and I've never had trouble finding it. Heck, I spend $$$ more taking the family out to eat once, than I do on an OCI.

I'm not meaning to be inflammatory. I honestly cannot fathom a why other than I want to... which I'm good with. But is there another why? Help me out folks.

Far less than 10% of those on this forum hoard oil. The rest of us keep our stash at Walmart or some where else reasonable.

I honestly didn't even bother to check for rebates or sales over the years I would DIY oil changes until I started creeping on this site. Sales and Promotions section here in BITOG is a gateway drug.

I started a little hoarding over this past spring, but just the in-house Napa oil sales and the Valvoline $10/off coupons. Got up to 60ish qts at one point. Thought I was living large.

Most of it has been used up by servicing friends/family's vehicles. Get the oil cheap, make a few bucks selling it off to friends and family.

With the rotation of mail in rebates and seasonal Napa promo's available, I lost reason to hoard. Don't really favor one oil brand over another anymore for 4-6k OCI's.

Some of us are OCD against mixing and buy in quantities to even ensure that lot numbers of product aren't mixed.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: CKN
I'm pretty new around here and have seen reference to folks' oil stash...

So, help me out with this, what is the purpose? Hoarding money, absolutely. Keeping food storage, yep. Gasoline. Toilet tissue. Water. Bullets. I get them all.

Oil stash I'm just not seeing. It's ridiculously cheap in comparison to most things, you don't need often, and I've never had trouble finding it. Heck, I spend $$$ more taking the family out to eat once, than I do on an OCI.

I'm not meaning to be inflammatory. I honestly cannot fathom a why other than I want to... which I'm good with. But is there another why? Help me out folks.

Far less than 10% of those on this forum hoard oil. The rest of us keep our stash at Walmart or some where else reasonable.

I find the word hoard somewhat incorrect, more like stocking up when oil is on sale is what I do. And yeah, it's just for fun. $2 Autozone synthetic or $1 semisynthetic is a pretty good price, better than the shelves at Walmart. I think hoarding would be just buying it up no matter what the price. It's always good to have at least a little oil on sale. Before my stash, if you didn't have any oil and need a little top off oil, you'd be stuck paying full price if it wasn't on sale at the time. In the old days there was even free oil like Nexgen or Quaker State.

For a guy with a single owned vehicle and a company car, a stash may well be pointless.
To those of use who maintain a fleet of eight family vehicles as I do, the stash represents a significant savings.
When you can stack store deals with MIRs and get synthetics for less than a buck a quart, you really can't lose.
For that matter, I have applications that will be just fine on the clearance T5 I got for .25/qt AMIR.
It's all a matter of what you have to maintain as well as your own use of common sense in the grades you buy.
Buy right and you save significant money.
You want to give more money to Walmart instead then good for you.

Quality synthetics are expensive in Australia.

Recently Repco made a business decision to no longer carry the 2-oils I use (oddly)
1: Nulon 0W40 Pao/Est 5L
2: Helix Ultra 5W30 AG (Dexos2) 5L

They had both on 60% off retail, so bought all the store stock.

Also Supercheap Auto have decided to no-longer stock Valvoline products.
Got a few bottles of Synpower 5W30 MST (Dexos2) for my parents, as that's what they use in their Mitsubishi's at 65% off retail.

I'm basically set for the next 2 years.

If I can pay better than half price for something I know I'm going to use that wont go off. Why wouldn't I
wink.gif
Do the same thing when at the supermarket, why buy shampoo for full price when once every 2 months it's on a 50% sale. just buy and store, and keep a small supply so you're never short. More money in the pocket for toys.

Regards
Jordan

The vehicles I maintain figure up to about 27 qts. If they average 5k changes 3x a year that's 81 a year. That could be $162 at ~$2 on sale or $768 at parts store ripoff prices. Plus it doesn't exactly go bad.

Originally Posted By: lawrencerd
The vehicles I maintain figure up to about 27 qts. If they average 5k changes 3x a year that's 81 a year. That could be $162 at ~$2 on sale or $768 at parts store ripoff prices. Plus it doesn't exactly go bad.

I hardly feel like a 27 quart sump needs to be changed every 5k.....I do every 5k on my vehicles with 5 quart sumps and even that is way too soon.

Unless of course these engine mostly idle for extremely long periods of time, and then you really should be clocking engine hours instead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back