Oil Analysis Pump?

I was watching a video where Gale Banks said never to take a sample from the oil draining out of the pan as it will pick up metal that settled on the bottom skewing the results. I'm not sure how true that is, but he did say that he uses the Amsoil Oil Extractor pump. Has anyone tried this? I'm considering getting one. I'd like to take a sample without having to drain the oil.

The bottle attaches to this pump, so it goes right into the bottle. I've been debating on getting a Fumoto but this would also serve a good purpose.

Last edited:
I was watching a video where Gale Banks said never to take a sample from the oil draining out of the pan as it will pick up metal that settled on the bottom skewing the results. I'm not sure how true that is, but he did say that he uses the Amsoil Oil Extractor pump. Has anyone tried this? I'm considering getting one. I'd like to take a sample without having to drain the oil.

The bottle attaches to this pump, so it goes right into the bottle.

I've been debating on getting a Fumoto but this would also serve a good purpose.

We sample large fixed engines from the cooler loop at full temperature and load … No sump samples …

Get a 10 foot length of Tigon 1/4 inch tubing. Put one end down into the dipstick tube and syphon what you need. A warm engine helps speed things up. If your going to do this very frequently then a pump is nice. Ed

Buy one from HPL, that’s where I got mine.

IMG_3748.jpeg

Get a 10 foot length of Tigon 1/4 inch tubing. Put one end down into the dipstick tube and syphon what you need. A warm engine helps speed things up. If you’re going to do this very frequently then a pump is nice. Ed
Cool - I use that to ditch the cheap black hose on Chonda OPE

The bottle attaches to this pump, so it goes right into the bottle.

I've been debating on getting a Fumoto but this would also serve a good purpose.

You do raise a great question. The problem with this is what if you put the tube down towards the bottom & still end up pickup up extra's?. The other point is are they taking into account the process of counting, I count anywhere from 10-20 seconds, while the initial oil debris flows out of the sump first before taking a sample? I'm not sure a blanket statement like that is the case in every situation or that there are not other methods that work just as well. Wouldn't draining a huge chunk of your sump then sample in the stream be just as good? Just thinking out loud.
I don't have the answers BUT I would assume that consistency is more important. I let the sump, depending on the size, drain for 10-20 seconds then take the sample. If I do that every time then the results should be relatively consistent I would think. Throw in the fact that the tubed kits (kits that come w/a tube) can be more expensive to buy. If you can afford that & the pump then I don't think it would hurt anything.

If going with a tube my recommendation would be to:
  • measure the dipstick length (don't include the handle knob)
  • put a marker line on the tube with that length (this prevents bottoming out on the oil pan)
  • Get a new hose every time you sample
That should prevent the tube from scraping across the bottom of the pan. I still think getting a fumoto valve & placing the sample bottle after a short bit is the best method b/c it's the cheapest. As long as your consistent then there should be no "Variation".

You do raise a great question. The problem with this is what if you put the tube down towards the bottom & still end up pickup up extra's?. The other is are they taking into account the process of counting, I count anywhere from 10-20 seconds, while the initial oil debris flows out of the sump first before taking a sample? I'm not sure a blanket statement like that is the case in every situation or that there are not other methods that work just as well. Wouldn't draining a huge chunk of your sump then sample in the stream be just as good? Just thinking out loud.
I don't have the answers BUT I would assume that consistency is more important. I let the sump, depending on the size, drain for 10-20 seconds then take the sample. If I do that every time then the results should be relatively consistent I would think. Throw in the fact that the tubed kits (kits that come w/a tube) can be more expensive to buy. If you can afford that & the pump then I don't think it would hurt anything.

• put a marker line on the tube with that length
That should prevent the tube from scraping across the bottom of the pan. I still think getting a fumoto valve & placing the sample bottle after a short bit is the best method b/c it's the cheapest. As long as your consistent then there should be no "Variation".
Yep - dipstick length would help

You do raise a great question. The problem with this is what if you put the tube down towards the bottom & still end up pickup up extra's?. The other point is are they taking into account the process of counting, I count anywhere from 10-20 seconds, while the initial oil debris flows out of the sump first before taking a sample? I'm not sure a blanket statement like that is the case in every situation or that there are not other methods that work just as well. Wouldn't draining a huge chunk of your sump then sample in the stream be just as good? Just thinking out loud.

• put a marker line on the tube with that length
Good point, thank you. I'm not sure either. Those are good questions. I'm going to get one. I've always just sampled from the pan without issue. 🤷‍♂️

I completely botched my last oil change. It's rare that it happens, but I was rushing. The oil shoots out to the side on this truck so catching a sample is a bit tricky. I'd rather take a periodic sample rather than just drain oil not knowing if it's good or not.

• put a marker line on the tube with that length (this prevents bottoming out on the oil pan)
That should prevent the tube from scraping across the bottom of the pan.
I insert the tube a ways down the dipstick tube, then pull some vacuum to see if I found the oil. If not, then push the tube down a couple inches more and apply some vacuum again. Repeat until you find the oil. This will prevent sampling from the bottom of the pan.

Good point, thank you. I'm not sure either. Those are good questions. I'm going to get one. I've always just sampled from the pan without issue. 🤷‍♂️

I completely botched my last oil change. It's rare that it happens, but I was rushing. The oil shoots out to the side on this truck so catching a sample is a bit tricky. I'd rather take a periodic sample rather than just drain oil not knowing if it's good or not.
Without a fumoto valve it's an accident waiting to happen ha ha. They do also have valves that you can attach a drain tube to as well FYI w/of course the on/off lever but you already know that. The tube approach does eliminate some of that chance of a mess or not getting the right timing of the sample bottle in the stream. I suppose the dipstick tube not being directly in the oil "Flow" could develop some residual sludge & pick some up on the way down? 🤷‍♂️

The bottle attaches to this pump, so it goes right into the bottle. I've been debating on getting a Fumoto but this would also serve a good purpose.

generally if you take a sample from draining oil, you wait for some of the oil to have already flowed then get a sample..
Did Gale also stress the imprtance of cleaning any oil extractor pump between samples.?
Keep in mind Banks is always selling things and he is just as opinionated as the rest of us.. :)

Is the supplied tubing long enough to reach into the pan?

I would think the dipstick tube would vary from engine to engine in terms of diameter and length.

I haven't done it in years, but I remember using the dipstick to ensure that it was long enough. Add a couple feet for getting from the dipstick tube to the pump.

generally if you take a sample from draining oil, you wait for some of the oil to have already flowed then get a sample..
Did Gale also stress the imprtance of cleaning any oil extractor pump between samples.?
Keep in mind Banks is always selling things and he is just as opinionated as the rest of us.. :)
There isn't much to clean on the extractor. The oil doesn't go through the pump. The pump is creating a vacuum in the container. If you don't go crazy, there's (IMO) a reasonable chance that oil never touches the pump.

I would agree that cleaning or pitching the tubing each time.

Is the supplied tubing long enough to reach into the pan?

I would think the dipstick tube would vary from engine to engine in terms of diameter and length.

Mine (Amsoil) came with about 10ft of tubing and it's pretty basic tubing to buy more. It's also pretty small, 5mm OD.

Last edited:
You can get those pumps from various sources, they all appear identical except for colors, amsoil, Blackstone and I am sure many others sell them.

Right. That's what I normally do. I wait about 20-30 seconds, then take the sample.

I have always just collected a sample from the drain plug/ Fumoto valve.

We have an extractor at my workplace that we use for periodic sampling of our gearbox oil reducers. We were advised to use a purge container, and purge a full container to clean past residue from the hose. Seems to work.

Once you have purged 3 0r 4 ounces attach the clean sample container & use that for collecting your sample.
I also suggest to mark the tube with some electrical tape so your pulling from low- mid level mark on the dipstick.

Back