Oil filters at Walmart are getting expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must be a mistake. The TV told me inflation is over?

Buy something else in bulk from RA.
If you can get them from Rockauto for a normal price, it's "greedflation" on Walmarts part.

Lots of socially awkward people on BITOG think a particular vendor is their loyal friend who will never do them wrong.

WM is still a good source of oil and car batteries though. They're my buddy there. :D

I guess this is a situation of putting the hamburger on sale, then selling the buns for $5.

I just got a single filter from Wally's on line and it came in a bag with no protection other than the filter box. It had a tiny mark on it but it's useable.

If you can get them from Rockauto for a normal price, it's "greedflation" on Walmarts part.

Lots of socially awkward people on BITOG think a particular vendor is their loyal friend who will never do them wrong.

WM is still a good source of oil and car batteries though. They're my buddy there. :D

I guess this is a situation of putting the hamburger on sale, then selling the buns for $5.

Admittedly the Super Tech filters are like $2-$3 which would meet most peoples needs. $10+ filters are typically designed to be run longer and changed less as you know.

Which vendors are you talking about members being overly being loyal to? - HPL? Walmart?

They’re just going to artificially drive up the prices on everything needed to operate and maintain ICEs until people throw up their hands, sell their vehicles, shake their fists at the sky, and climb their now-captive rear ends onto public transportation or into an EV, either of which are not fully controlled by the user.

Central planners of the 15-minute cities despise personal vehicles and the relative chaos of people being able to go where they want, whenever they want.
They want everyone living in cities, instead of rural areas & small towns. And automakers are also messing up their gas engines & making them unreliable. Look how many lifter failures GM has with AFM/DFM. Most people who know about it disable the feature, or do the full delete after a lifter collapses.

Last edited:
Admittedly the Super Tech filters are like $2-$3 which would meet most peoples needs. $10+ filters are typically designed to be run longer and changed less as you know.

Which vendors are you talking about members being overly being loyal to? - HPL? Walmart?
The Prime Guards for $2.99 at Rural King are also a great option if you live near one. If you just want a cheap filter.

I've found sometimes with oil filters (and other items), it's cheaper to buy from Walmart.com and pick it up, than actually walking into the store and buying the item. Same with auto stores. It seems like the stores are becoming more reliant on impulse buying. Still can get the $3-4 Frams this way. Or all else fails, Amazon or Rock Auto if I'm buying other things too.

Or some could adjust habits as in post #20 …
Great filter - Less work/waste too …

Like said, anything other than the Supertechs are expensive at wally. I'll only buy name brands from there when I'm in a pinch and there's no supertechs in stock. Unfortunately, lack of stock on anything supertech is how it is these days and how it's going to be.

I just ordered a bunch of Champ XLs for my Pathfinder and Versa from Rockauto. With shipping and sales tax they came out to about $5/ea.

I was floored when I recently saw Motorcraft FL1A's at Walmart for over $12 each. I remember buying them not long ago for under $5. I am considering running filters for two changes because I am too cheap.
When it comes to Motorcraft filters specifically, all of them have gone up across the board, at the Ford dealer, Amazon and WM. Ford parts guy member bdcardinal said a while back that WM price was much lower than they could even get them for. That before they raised prices recently. But yeah, the common 910S has gone from ~$4 to $8+ now. Used to be an excellent choice for OPE use, now other filters in consideration like ST MP3614.

They want everyone living in cities, instead of rural areas & small towns. And automakers are also messing up their gas engines & making them unreliable. Look how many lifter failures GM has with AFM/DFM. Most people who know about it disable the feature, or do the full delete after a lifter collapses.
Don't even get me started on the unreliability of CVT automatics, GDI engines, even most manufacturers in general. The only (former) consistently good ones, Toyota & Honda, seem to be losing their edge, slipping into the land of disposable junk with the rest of them! This is why the xB in my sig soldiers on, bad paint, repaired body damage in rear rusting, at 19 years old-I literally can't find anything to replace it without dropping $20K+ on an unknown, probable POS vehicle.

C'mon-you think NFL franchises are FREE?? Rob Walton dropped $4.65 BILLION on the Broncos-they have to make that money somewhere!

Don't even get me started on the unreliability of CVT automatics, GDI engines, even most manufacturers in general.
When the gal and I went car shopping for her, we ended up looking at only cars with non-CVT transmissions and non-GDI engines. Ended up with a 2010 Mazda3 with 73K miles on it. Mazda3s seems to be pretty reliable cars. It's also fun to drive.

Since when is the pleat straightness after use became the measurement standard for a mileage use rating? 😄

Haha Scott! 6000 Miles to go to see if my post-HPL cleaner Ultra is going to look like the one posted in this thread or back to straight pleats! Then you'll have some "splainin" to do :unsure: :love::unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back