Oil filters at Walmart are getting expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it useless? There was actual testing all throughout the video. I don't understand why everyone here craps all over anything people try to do to help others make decisions.
The Boss has been rated, by PUROLATOR, to only be 99% @ 46 micron efficiency. That puts all his results into question. We have better information here...

I think this is already happening. Once people stop buying due to maxed out credit cards, it will then trigger a recession.
Once the "free" stimulus works it's way through the system, deflation is likely to ensue... And the Fed's big interest rate runup made it worse, there's a lot of paper out there that is not necessarily backed by an ability to pay, lots of people upside-down.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this mindset, but filters are cheap, engines are not. I don't mind paying 15 bucks for an oil filter every 5000-7500 miles. I care about engine longevity for my daily drivers.

With that being said, I'm not going to defend arbitrarily raising prices to raise profit margins and using inflation as a cop-out from the manufacturers. If the filter is worth 10 or 15 bucks, then I'll pay it, but if you're spending 2 dollars to make a filter and you charge 15 bucks, then that's messed up. If the profit margins are still good for the company to thrive they shouldn't bend over the consumer even more.

I wonder how the Fram Endurance would have performed? I just bought two of those.
Based on Fram's ISO 4548-12 efficiency claim, it's rated at 99+% >20u base on these three filter models: FE8A, FE3387A and FE4967. That's the same efficiency rating as the Fram Ultra, so it should rank the same as the Ultra ... maybe a hair better since the Endurance has a higher holding capacity which means it probably has a little less dP as it loads up.

Based on Fram's ISO 4548-12 efficiency claim, it's rated at 99+% >20u base on these three filter models: FE8A, FE3387A and FE4967. That's the same efficiency rating as the Fram Ultra, so it should rank the same as the Ultra ... maybe a hair better since the Endurance has a higher holding capacity which means it probably has a little less dP as it loads up.
Thanks for the great explanation. I appreciate it! I feel good about my purchase.

For me up here, Ecoguard filters through Bensons are the lowest price, even lower than the company I work for (CT), but I get vendor pricing on them. I’ve gone that route once, and they are great filters - no waviness in the pleats at all, was very impressed.

Most of the time I use coupons and just get MM filters we stock as part of a package, which are fine for my clunker!

Rockauto and ebay often have more normal prices, but the shipping is what gets you, so it's kind of all the same.
I often check closeouts and recently placed an order for a bunch of needed items off the closeout section from RA. I did include several Motorcraft oil filters for my older Fords for 3.89 and 5.27 each.

I was floored when I recently saw Motorcraft FL1A's at Walmart for over $12 each. I remember buying them not long ago for under $5. I am considering running filters for two changes because I am too cheap.
I would not think in the overall scheme of running and maintaining a car or light truck that whether an oil filter you will use for 5000 costs $5 or $10 would matter much.

I would not think in the overall scheme of running and maintaining a car or light truck that whether an oil filter you will use for 5000 costs $5 or $10 would matter much.
So your OK If everything you bought went up 15% overnight? No different really, other than you can absorb it for one item.

Nothing is the same price it was 50 years ago either. Inflation is a cycle - soon prices will freeze, wages will go up, and comparative cost will decrease. Happens every time, over and over.

Of course it "costs" more right now. Two years from now, the comparative "cost" will be back down since wages will have gone up.

Nothing to see here.

Once the "free" stimulus works it's way through the system, deflation is likely to ensue... And the Fed's big interest rate runup made it worse, there's a lot of paper out there that is not necessarily backed by an ability to pay, lots of people upside-down.
DUDE, the Fed interest rate was near ZERO for like ten years.... the Feds were in BIG trouble, we needed higher interest rates, cause the next downturn cycle, you cannot lower interest rates to stimulate the economy if they are already at ZERO.
They HAD to get them up.

So your OK If everything you bought went up 15% overnight? No different really, other than you can absorb it for one item.
I might look for other ways to save money but going to a cheaper brand of oil filter would not be one of the ways. I have a small list of the oil filters I would consider using. I will buy one on the list, hopefully on sale. Probably never get one from the "economy" section on RockAuto.

I might look for other ways to save money but going to a cheaper brand of oil filter would not be one of the ways. I have a small list of the oil filters I would consider using. I will buy one on the list, hopefully on sale. Probably never get one from the "economy" section on RockAuto.
I have not seen anyone whose engine failed for using a lower cost filter to save money. 95% efficiency versus 99%, not a big deal to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back