oil & filter for 2013 Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all

I just purchased 2013 Toyota Camry se sport with 2.5l it has know 15 mi on the clock
i would like to know wen is a good time to dump the ff and change the filter the car has 0w20 from the dealer the dealer told me to come in for my free oil and filter at 5000 mi but i think that tooo long . what do the BITOG experts think ??? i also would like and oil and filter (cartridge) recommendation please ..

thank you all

The factory OCI is 10K miles for the Camry's 2.5L AR engine. If the dealer wants to do it at 5K for free under "Toyota Care"....just do it then. People around here say that Toyota's OEM filters and synthetic oil are very good anyway.

Last edited:
Dump the factory fill at 5000 miles or 6 months. If your anal about your oil (as we all are) change it again 10,000 miles to rinse out all the break-in metals. After that, run the oil & filter changes at 10,000 miles or 12 months.

Personally I would run Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 and a long distance filter. Since it is a cartridge style, you may want to stick with OEM.

Mobil 1 0w-20 and Toyota 0w-20 is pretty good too, I just prefer Pennzoil.

Last edited:
Dumping the FF at 5,000 is just fine. I would not use a 20wt. Personally my fill of choice would be Mobil 1 0w-30AFE. Stick with OEM oil filters.

Originally Posted By: fauxchemist
Dumping the FF at 5,000 is just fine. I would not use a 20wt. Personally my fill of choice would be Mobil 1 0w-30AFE. Stick with OEM oil filters.

OEM filter with mobil 1

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Dump the factory fill at 5000 miles or 6 months. If your anal about your oil (as we all are) change it again 10,000 miles to rinse out all the break-in metals. After that, run the oil & filter changes at 10,000 miles or 12 months.

Personally I would run Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 and a long distance filter. Since it is a cartridge style, you may want to stick with OEM.

i was thinking to dump the ff at 1500m or is that to soon ???

Why would you do that? Toyota 0w20 is a great oil and Toyota filters have been very good to me. I would stick to what your manual calls for. Change oil at 7k and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: Tboss

That's kind of foolish. A lot of moly in that first change. I would go 5k and then change it. Request it at te dealership. They will pay for under the extra care plan.

while your under warranty let the factory do the oil change so there is no confusion in case something is wrong with car, and you find out latter on.

Toyotas are like tanks any good synth/synth blend with pure ONE filter will do 10k no problem.

Yes, just do it at 5,000.

My wife has a 2010 Camry 2.5L. I go to Walmart buy a jug of PP or Mobil 1 5w-20 and take it to the dealership for an oil change. The guy at the dealership said because we live in the south east 5-20 was fine and that is what they pumped from the oil drums. He said in cold climates 0w-20 is recommended. You will save a lot of money bringing your own oil. Toyota thinks real highly of their sythetic oil. Let the dealership do the oil change using an oem filter with your provided oil. Save big $$$$.

Originally Posted By: bfrey64
Why would you do that? Toyota 0w20 is a great oil and Toyota filters have been very good to me. I would stick to what your manual calls for. Change oil at 7k and call it a day.

theirs a sticker from the manufacturer on the front window to change the oil at 5000 mi

The_Captain said:
My wife has a 2010 Camry 2.5L. I go to Walmart buy a jug of PP or Mobil 1 5w-20 and take it to the dealership for an oil change. The guy at the dealership said because we live in the south east 5-20 was fine and that is what they pumped from the oil drums. He said in cold climates 0w-20 is recommended. You will save a lot of money bringing your own oil. Toyota thinks real highly of their sythetic oil. Let the dealership do the oil change using an oem filter with your provided oil. Save big $$$$.

i ask the service adviser if i can use 5w20 and he told me yes but ONLY if i cant fiend 0w20 but toyota whant you to use 0w20 for warrant im sooo confused

Going through it with my dads 2012 SE 2.5L right now. After researching it here's what we are doing. Just dumped the FF recently at 5k. The manual states a 10k max, 5k severe (lots of idling, short trips in cold weather, etc). We are going in the middle, 7-8k. Maybe 10k after it breaks in at 20-30k but I am not bought into an oil that thin going that long. I know people do, but I just cant do it yet. If you read the fine print, Toyota care entitles you to 2 free oil changes in 25k. Then you are DIY or pay. so once the free changes are done, I may experiment between Toyota, M1 and PP 0w20's. The PP to see if it can quiet it down some. The valve train a little noisy.

Not at all, just don't put synthetic in it yet (not as good for engine break in).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Going through it with my dads 2012 SE 2.5L right now.....I am not bought into an oil that thin (0w-20) going that long. I know people do, but I just cant do it yet.

The PP to see if it can quiet it down some. The valve train a little noisy.

I have the same concerns about 0w oil in a car that only had dino (likely Shell) up 'til now...

I'll be switching from BYB (after 3k+ mi) to PP (both 5w-30) in KitaCamry's 2.4 next week for a planned 7-8k mile OCI...with PYB it sounds great here at 100k miles on the clock...I'll let you know how it sounds afterwards with PP...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kam327

Not at all, just don't put synthetic in it yet (not as good for engine break in).

Absurd. Many oem's are shipping vehicles with syn in the sump when new.

The Toyota branded oil (tgmo) is fantastic stuff. You will not find a better oil for your Toyota. They engineered that oil for their engines. Best part is its competitively priced as compared to other quality syns.
Change the oil at 5000 miles,as you've already stated its complimentary at the dealer so take them up on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back