Oil filter change at 10k miles (every other change) ?

N=8000 is a very high powered study. I work in clinical trial studies. We might go out to 1000 subjects for a phase 3 study and that's a pretty big study to show efficacy compared to a placebo. Larger studies with more subjects are more to assess safety than efficacy. The null hypothesis is there is no difference between the study groups and we gather data to disprove that null hypothesis to p
I don't know enough about engines to develop criteria to assess if an engine has more meaningful wear than another engine. More empirically, for our thought experiment, if the control group has its oil and filter changed every 5000 miles and we have a group that changed the oil every 10k miles and the filter every 20k miles and we take both groups out to 250k miles, what differences will we see?
You will have to standardize that process of wear to make it meaningful. N=8000 drivers have 8000 different ways of driving the car. You would have to use 8000 engines and subject them to the same exact RPM/ambient temp/time on. Very expensive. I'll bet you can get meaningful info with 100 engines from one car manufacturer's single factory, with all engines made on the same day by one robot, using the same exact metallurgy on the batch of engines.

You will have to standardize that process of wear to make it meaningful. N=8000 drivers have 8000 different ways of driving the car. You would have to use 8000 engines and subject them to the same exact RPM/ambient temp/time on. Very expensive. I'll bet you can get meaningful info with 100 engines from one car manufacturer's single factory, with all engines made on the same day by one robot, using the same exact metallurgy on the batch of engines.
You see the issues with studying drugs on people. We're all different. Only so many variables that can be controlled.

On my Civic and CRV, I use Fram XP and change it every other OC. Usually ends up being every ~8000 miles for the Civic and ~6000 miles on the CRV. Still way under the filter's 20,000 mi rating. Honda recommends changing the filter every other OC.

On our Volvo, it uses a cartridge filter. I use Volvo/MANN OEM filters and change it every OC. Volvo recommends changing the filter with every oil change.

We got an ‘03 7.3 PSD E-350 van to 660K with the cheapest 15W40 HDEO & filters the company could find-I personally would stick with the Motorcraft oil filter & a pail of good old Rotella T 15W40 (T3/T4) for 7500, let her rip! Likely to outlive us all…

Back