Oil filter change at 10k miles (every other change) ?

You are going to get lots of anecdotal evidence....."done it for years, no problems!" ....kind of thing.

Non emissions diesels are easy on oil. The 7.3 has a decent size sump.

The best way to tell if a filter needs to be changed is measuring the differential pressure (comparison of oil pressure before and after the filter) don't know of anyone doing that.

Otherwise, you are on your own, guessing.

In all honesty, you are most likely perfectly fine going 10k on a filter in a 7.3. I've got one with almost 400k on it. It now burns enough oil that I've extended the OCI to 7.5k as I have to add about a gallon in that interval.

I also have a T444e in an medium duty truck. It takes 12 qts and the oil filter holds at least 1.5qts. Also has a coolant filter. Ford changed some things to make the engine fit under the hood on their pickups.

FRAM "Drive" is rated for 7,500 miles.
FRAM Extra Guard, 10,000 miles
FRAM Tough Guard 15,000 miles
FRAM Ultra Synthetic, 20,000 miles.
FRAM Endurance, 25,000 miles.
And where is the evidence for that? Marketing.

How long a filter lasts is DIRECTLY related to how much soot and particulate the engine puts in the oil and how much surface area (capacity) is in the filter. Blanket statements like "its good for 20,000 miles) is pure Marketing. Or at least a good-better-more betterer-best-bestest comparison.

Like I said I have two 7.3s one in a 1996 F350 and another in a 1998 International 4700 cab/chassis truck. One holds a gallon more of oil, and the oil filter is 2x the size of the other.

And where is the evidence for that? Marketing.

How long a filter lasts is DIRECTLY related to how much soot and particulate the engine puts in the oil and how much surface area (capacity) is in the filter. Blanket statements like "its good for 20,000 miles) is pure Marketing. Or at least a good-better-more betterer-best-bestest comparison.

Like I said I have two 7.3s one in a 1996 F350 and another in a 1998 International 4700 cab/chassis truck. One holds a gallon more of oil, and the oil filter is 2x the size of the other.
Not picking "sides" here but the specific marketing of use for XX,XXX miles is marketing to a point. Those different mileage levels do have different media to hold more debris so it's more than just marketing & there is evidence they are constructed better (go longer miles) the higher you go up. They are constructed from a good, better, & best cost point for our ever increasing ODI mileage requirements. But yes you are correct in that it all is going to depend on an individual car on how long they can go on a mileage basis & how much debris it puts inside the filter. However, The longer mileage claimed filters are going to handle longer mileage runs on those cars too though but maybe not as long as what the mileage Fram is claiming. Which is why everyone capable of using one should have a filter cutter for inspection.

Last edited:
The construction and holding capacities differs filter to filter and across brands. That's not just marketing or anecdotal evidence. I used the Fram line as an easy example. Also there is a plethora of anecdotal evidence to back it all up. Thats a good thing.

Some are following what the manufacturer tells them to do while others have bought a premium filter that can be ran multiple oil changes.
Nope that’s a marketing strategy it only works under the very best conditions that in the real world nobody can do. The small print on those filters say will void your warranty if you exceed your manufacturer recommendation. Something to think about there.

Nope that’s a marketing strategy it only works under the very best conditions that in the real world nobody can do. The small print on those filters say will void your warranty if you exceed your manufacturer recommendation. Something to think about there.
Wrong, If the OEM Auto states to change oil filter every other oil change & an aftermarket filter said "Meets or Exceeds OEM standards" then it would not be "Exceeding Manufacturer's Recommendation" as you say. The oil filter companies are well aware of what the OEM requirements are.

Last edited:
Wrong, If the OEM Auto states to change oil filter every other oil change & an aftermarket filter said "Meets or Exceeds OEM standards" then it would not be "Exceeding Manufacturer's Recommendation" as you say. The oil filter companies are well aware of what the OEM requirements are.
So what you’re saying is the manufacturer put in writing engineered obsolescence and you have fallen for it. The recommended oil drain interval is the maximum amount you should do. Again planned obsolescence a 10,000 mile drain interval should be done at 8k. Will going to the maximum cause catastrophic damage no but it will cause premature wear and the need to buy again sooner than expected. Just because it says it can go 20,000 miles doesn’t mean I will do that.

So what you’re saying is the manufacturer put in writing engineered obsolescence and you have fallen for it. The recommended oil drain interval is the maximum amount you should do. Again planned obsolescence a 10,000 mile drain interval should be done at 8k. Will going to the maximum cause catastrophic damage no but it will cause premature wear and the need to buy again sooner than expected. Just because it says it can go 20,000 miles doesn’t mean I will do that.
Don't be silly, nothing lasts forever.

Always change the filter with a oil change. Not doing that is the equivalency of only changing your underwear every other time you shower or bath 🛁. Got clean oil put a clean filter on.
back in the day some OEM's advised changing the filter every other oil change so it isn't unheard of or a bad idea.
I've also seen people do it the other way around and extend out the oil change interval while only replacing the filter.
you could also perform a partial drain like a transmission and it still doesn't hurt anything.

Don't be silly, nothing lasts forever.
You’re correct. To that point nothing lasts forever. You’re not correct on the planned obsolescence. Of running a engine to the maximum mileage for charging its oil and filter. That’s just speeding up the process. If you want to do 20 thousand miles on a oil change and a filter every other one. By all means do it. Just know you’re wearing out your engine faster by trying to save few dollars on oil and filters.

You’re correct. To that point nothing lasts forever. You’re not correct on the planned obsolescence. Of running a engine to the maximum mileage for charging its oil and filter. That’s just speeding up the process. If you want to do 20 thousand miles on a oil change and a filter every other one. By all means do it. Just know you’re wearing out your engine faster by trying to save few dollars on oil and filters.
the maximum mileage can only be determined by oil analysis. anything else is just a guess. It is also worth saying most auto's that have some form of maintenance hit the junk heap for reasons other than the engine. ie when the cost to repair outweighs the value of the vehicle.

the maximum mileage can only be determined by oil analysis. anything else is just a guess. It is also worth saying most auto's that have some form of maintenance hit the junk heap for reasons other than the engine. ie when the cost to repair outweighs the value of the vehicle.
Do what makes you happy. Saving a few dollars now cost more later.

2003 F250 7.3 @ 177k miles
No towing, light use.
Live in Louisiana.
Been using T4 Rotella & FL1995/a Motorcraft filter every 5k miles.
During the recent happening I used Walmart SuperTech a couple of times and even mixed with T4 when I couldn’t find T4.
Had a NAPA oil test done and everything looked good per their rating (can’t find results sorry).
These oil filters have jumped to $27 f/ $9 so thinking to change every other oil change like I read some do.

My question
Does this sound ok re oil filter change?

Any recommendations for another cheaper filter? (Doc’s? Wix?)

Thanks for any input!
Defaulting to a bad analogy - it’s like taking a good long shower then putting on your same old stinky underwear. Just don’t. Not doing it is false economy.

funny thing about this whole thread is most of the answers aretotally opinion based.

I have an idea,,, because even when you change the oil and filter you still leave some of the old dirty oil in the engine, just because you can't remove all of it no matter what, so you are still putting dirty underwear back on. :)

only difference is how dirty the underwear are . :)

only way to know if a filter is clogged is by testing and only way to know if oil is too dirty is by analysis.

When I owned my Nissan 370Z I used the Fram Ultra filters and changed them every other oil change. But to qualify that, I used the slightly oversized Fram filter, the same as the Mobil 1 # 110 which is their oversized version. And I was using Redline oil and changing it every 5000 miles. My Blackstone reports were excellent.

The caveat is to use one of the top of the line premium filters, go up one size if it will fit, use premium synthetic oil and limit the OCI's to 5000 miles. If you are a cheapskate and are using whatever conventional oil is on sale and using a $4.99 Fram orange filter and going 7500-10.000 miles between changes and relying on what you oil life monitor says, not such a good idea.

I use the Fram Ultras XP9688 on my Hyundais. The Accent goes two 7500 oil changes on a filter 15k total, the Gen Coupe two 5k mile oil changes on a filter, 10k total. I don't hardly drive anymore so it's an oil change every two years and 4 years on the filters at the rate I'm driving now.

Back