2024 6.7 Cummins - Looking for an oil recommended

Hey Guys,

New to maintaining a modern diesel, and not the oil expert many on this forum are.

I have a new 2024 Cummins 6.7 with 600 miles on it. Although I don't need to change the oil yet, I want to get my stockpile built up.

I was planning to run Rotella T6 5w40 in this truck, but I've read some feedback on this forum that doesn't paint a good picture of that oil.

I'm currently driving this truck as a city daily driver, but will be pulling a 16k 5th wheel 2-3x a year, and will pull a 25ft gooseneck with a skidsteer about the same.

I'm planning to change oil every 5k miles to try and mitigate any dilution issues caused by the city driving.

Located in Texas, and we get below freezing 1-2x a year.

Manual calls for 10w-30 or 5w40 only. Im honestly not sure what weight would do better in this motor.

I'm hoping to avoid boutique oils, as I'll be changing pretty frequently, but would defer to the experts.

Anyone have any thoughts/feedback?

Will only be using Mopar or Fleetguard filters.

from what i’ve heard, read and watched about these motors they really only like 10w-30. recommendations in order: delo XLE 10w-30, delvac extreme 10w-30 and Rotella T6 10w-30

Couldn't say for sure how the new style engines run on a 30 weight, whether the new lifters prefer 30 or 40. My 2017 has lived on a steady diet of 30 weight since 24,000km. Its at 160 now. Ran a couple used oil analysis and nothing exciting was happening.

If it was me, I would find a nice semi synthetic 10w30 and test it after a full index.

Ignore the Rotella haters, there really hasn't been a legitimate case against it. The topic is similar to the eternal Fram haters on this forum. The one video posted of "foamy" results indirectly by HPL hasn't been repeated nor corroborated by another lab publically. Once it is, then maybe there is something to think about.

5w-40 of any brand meeting or approved for your Cummins spec is what I'd run. Nothing wrong with Shell compared to other off the shelf lubricants. I've switched away from them solely b/c of their prices & rebates. Can't recommend Valvoline Premium Blue 5w-40 b/c their prices are even higher. If none of those are barriers then just pick one brand/any brand that meets that grade & spec.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I guess I just need to decide if go 10w30 or 5w40. I've seen a few reports that 10w30 just runs better in these motors, but it seems like the overwhelming majority of people (and dealers) are running 5w40.

Lots to decide.

Texas & Pulling 16,000 lbs = 5w-40 IMO
That being said you're not going very far on the oil & could get by just fine on 10w-30. I just think unless you're in a colder environment why? & also the OEM allows for the 40 grade. Potentially burn less on these high HP diesel engines.
Not to overload but just my $0.03c

Rotella T6 5w-40 is absolutely fine, and readily available at a good price. I ran it for 100k with both short work commutes and longer weekend trips towing.

Whatever 5w40 is on sale or has rebates when you need it especially if your only going with 5k changes.

I’ve ran many different brands of 5w40 through my 6.7L and could honestly never tell the difference. VPBE, T6, Delvac 1, Delo XSP, and there’s also Farm store fleet brand 5w40 in five gallon buckets such as Rural King offers.

Put on 135k miles on our 19 in 2 years (hotshot operation) on mix of 15w40 in summer and 5w40 in the winter what ever I could find cheapest. Changes 10 to 15 k miles. Except for using 2 quarts every 10k miles she she did not complain a bit. This truck towed a 40ft flatbed behind it it's entire life.
She ran hard for 14 hours a day and idialed for the next 10 hours. Essentially ran 24 7 most weeks when on the road. During a reset she dialed for 34 hours.

IMG_29391.jpg

Last edited:
Put on 135k miles on our 19 in 2 years (hotshot operation) on mix of 15w40 in summer and 5w40 in the winter what ever I could find cheapest. Changes 10 to 15 k miles. Except for using 2 quarts every 10k miles she she did not complain a bit. This truck towed a 40ft flatbed behind it it's entire life.
She ran hard for 14 hours a day and idialed for the next 10 hours. Essentially ran 24 7 most weeks when on the road. During a reset she dialed for 34 hours.

View attachment 214796

Dang, that's quite the endorsement.

I said I was gonna stay away from boutique oils (and I think that still holds true), but I think I'm going to run AMSOIL 10w30 synthetic diesel oil. It's about the same price per gallon as most of the other contenders, and people may complain about AMSOIL, but it's usually not related to the quality of the product.

I'll probably try some Mobile 5w40 and compare between the two weights.

Appreciate the guidance guys.

Dang, that's quite the endorsement.

I said I was gonna stay away from boutique oils (and I think that still holds true), but I think I'm going to run AMSOIL 10w30 synthetic diesel oil. It's about the same price per gallon as most of the other contenders, and people may complain about AMSOIL, but it's usually not related to the quality of the product.

I'll probably try some Mobile 5w40 and compare between the two weights.

Appreciate the guidance guys.
These trucks aren't really fussy on oil brand. As you already know the newer trucks like the 10w30 or 5w40. Given your towing situation I'd run 5w40. I run Mystik JT8 15w40 in my 2012 and have run Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40 before that. I'd find an oil that meets your spec and saves your wallet. IMO dumping oil out at 5k on these trucks is a waste regardless of brand. I go at least 7,500 miles on my truck, and will stretch it to 10,000 occasionally and many would say that's still premature.

Just my $0.02

Hey Guys,

New to maintaining a modern diesel, and not the oil expert many on this forum are.

I have a new 2024 Cummins 6.7 with 600 miles on it. Although I don't need to change the oil yet, I want to get my stockpile built up.

I was planning to run Rotella T6 5w40 in this truck, but I've read some feedback on this forum that doesn't paint a good picture of that oil.

I'm currently driving this truck as a city daily driver, but will be pulling a 16k 5th wheel 2-3x a year, and will pull a 25ft gooseneck with a skidsteer about the same.

I'm planning to change oil every 5k miles to try and mitigate any dilution issues caused by the city driving.

Located in Texas, and we get below freezing 1-2x a year.

Manual calls for 10w-30 or 5w40 only. Im honestly not sure what weight would do better in this motor.

I'm hoping to avoid boutique oils, as I'll be changing pretty frequently, but would defer to the experts.

Anyone have any thoughts/feedback?

Will only be using Mopar or Fleetguard filters.
On the oil cap it’s says 10w30 for temperature above-0 or 5w40 for-0 and below. If it’s a 6.7 HO use 10-30 full synthetic it will thank you.

These trucks aren't really fussy on oil brand. As you already know the newer trucks like the 10w30 or 5w40. Given your towing situation I'd run 5w40. I run Mystik JT8 15w40 in my 2012 and have run Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40 before that. I'd find an oil that meets your spec and saves your wallet. IMO dumping oil out at 5k on these trucks is a waste regardless of brand. I go at least 7,500 miles on my truck, and will stretch it to 10,000 occasionally and many would say that's still premature.

Just my $0.02
There’s a Guy from Washington state that owns a fleet of Ram 3500 and his fleet of I think 30 trucks all use 10w30 full synthetic because they tow and haul right up to the maximum capacity he also has a YouTube channel and talks about this very specific subject. I would believe him over every day drivers. When it comes to the 6.7 Cummins

There’s a Guy from Washington state that owns a fleet of Ram 3500 and his fleet of I think 30 trucks all use 10w30 full synthetic because they tow and haul right up to the maximum capacity he also has a YouTube channel and talks about this very specific subject. I would believe him over every day drivers. When it comes to the 6.7 Cummins
If a 40grade is allowed in winter it's perfectly aloud in summer flat out truth.

I use 5-40 in my 2022. Only 13k miles on the clock so can’t really give any evidence based proof but it runs well on it. At this point it runs better every day. I also change my oil and filter early.
I’ve been pondering using 10-30 and have been looking at different ones but it’s still 5-40 for now. VPBE has a little better Noack value and higher hths than Rotella T6 and Amsoil is a little better than both of those in about the same price range if not using the SS.

Back