Oil filter change at 10k miles (every other change) ?

2003 F250 7.3 @ 177k miles
No towing, light use.
Live in Louisiana.
Been using T4 Rotella & FL1995/a Motorcraft filter every 5k miles.
During the recent happening I used Walmart SuperTech a couple of times and even mixed with T4 when I couldn’t find T4.
Had a NAPA oil test done and everything looked good per their rating (can’t find results sorry).
These oil filters have jumped to $27 f/ $9 so thinking to change every other oil change like I read some do.

My question
Does this sound ok re oil filter change?

Any recommendations for another cheaper filter? (Doc’s? Wix?)

Thanks for any input!

This is exactly what I do on my multiple vehicles for years. Zero issues. Look at all the posted cut filters. Most every one has comments saying "looks great, could have gone another interval". In most applications, every other interval filter changes are perfectly fine.
What am I looking for re a bad or unusable filter? Is there some way to know or tell?

The thing to focus on is how much loading is in the pleats. If the pleats are intact, mostly still straight, and the folds do not have too much grit and sludge in them, the filter is still perfectly serviceable. There are a few exceptions but the vast majority seem to go 10K with ease.

Notice the FRAM line, for example.

FRAM "Drive" is rated for 7,500 miles.
FRAM Extra Guard, 10,000 miles
FRAM Tough Guard 15,000 miles
FRAM Ultra Synthetic, 20,000 miles.
FRAM Endurance, 25,000 miles.

Its pretty easy to see even a mid line filter can last over 10,000+ miles. The top line filters can last 20,000+ miles.

Last edited:
My question
Does this sound ok re oil filter change?

Any recommendations for another cheaper filter? (Doc’s? Wix?)

Thanks for any input!

all these are under 20$...........

I would say that you have a known good diesel engine, and do no towing and live in flat land, with no to little dust......so you have about the best situation possible, for usage. I think any quality filter will go 10k in your 7.3.........oil, not so much. Dont skimp on the filter, go for cheap brand name oil like supertech, of get some at napa while on sale......but make sure the filter is tough enough to last. I cut oil filters apart after oil changes, and have never seen a K&N filter come apart, nor I have I seen an ACDelco come apart. I am not familair with Motorcraft, but I am sure they are top notch.

Been doing it for years on all of my diesels, except I've backed off 12-14K mile OCI and trying to stick to 10K miles max. No issues to report.

I've owned one of these trucks for 53,000 miles. My opinion is to get you a Fram Ultra w/Rotella & run both for 10k. You're a perfect candidate for this with flat land & low service requirement. I just ran 9,500 miles, of hard use, on the 6.0L in my signature & the UOA is in the diesel section if you want to have a gander.

That truck (6.0L), as you well know, has EGR set-up so it will load the oil more than your 7.3L but still came out good. You could bump up the grade of oil from T4 to T5 or T6 but T4 is now considered a Blend so it's still solid option. You can find rebates on the T5/T6 that could put the oil at the T4 price. You could then afford to sample every 10k with new oil & filter. Let me know what you think.

Have been doing that on my Honda Accord and on my previous BMW for years.

Honda recommends changing the filter every other change.

I changed the oil on the BMW at half the recommended interval (which was about 20,000 km) but kept the filter for the whole period. Those filters came out (oil stained of course but otherwise) nice and clean.

I have different opinion every oil change with filter, for instance wix or and brand name filter, Mann, Bosch . Protecting 10, 15 or 20 k miles is marketing.
I don’t know mechanic including friends of mine who recommends every other change of oil.

Back