OEM Oil Recommendations From Around The World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note how in Europe, Honda specifically said not to use 5W-30 in this engine above 0C. But in North America it was the preferred viscosity for.. fuel economy.

Europe:
4genEuro.jpg

North America:
5genUSDM.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Note how in Europe, Honda specifically said not to use 5W-30 in this engine above 0C. But in North America it was the preferred viscosity for.. fuel economy.

Europe:
4genEuro.jpg

North America:
5genUSDM.jpg

Is this for your prelude, and is the engine one of the "except for engines...." on the first chart?

Thanks!

1. City, State or Province, Country: Illinois, USA

2. Model Year, Make, Model, Engine: 2008 MB C300, 3-liter M272 engine

3. Oil recomended in Owners Manual:

Back when my car initially came out, this was listed in the service manual:

C300_oil_grades_specs.png

Then a few years later they changed it to this:

2011_viscosity_grades.png

Notice how the 0w-30 and 5w-30 were initially only allowed up to ambient temp of 86F, but later were allowed across entire temp spectrum.

4. Oil you currently use: Mobil1 0w-40

And this is for my 530i:

1. City, State or Province, Country: Illinois, USA

2. Model Year, Make, Model, Engine: 2002 BMW 530i, 3.0 M54 engine

3. Oil recomended in Owners Manual:

Quote:

Specified engine oils The quality of the engine oil selected has critical significance for the
operation and service life of an engine.
Based on extensive testing, BMW has approved only certain engine oils. Use only approved "BMW High
Performance Synthetic Oil." If you are unable to obtain "BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil," you
can add small amounts of synthetic oil in between oil changes. Only use oils with the API SH
specification or higher.

Approved oils are in SAE classes 5W-40 and 5W-30.
These oils may be used for driving in all ambient temperatures.

The most important piece of information missing from the owner's manual is that the oil should carry BMW LL-01 spec.

4. Oil you currently use: Pennzoil Ultra 5w-40

Europe:
4genEuro.jpg

North America:
5genUSDM.jpg

Yep,fuel economy. CAFE and EPA.

Yes, my Prelude with H22.

Originally Posted By: zeuloa

Is this for your prelude, and is the engine one of the "except for engines...." on the first chart?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oslo, Norway

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 1.6 TDCI DLD-416 (or DV6)
Oil recomended in Owners Manual:
WSS-M2C913-C (if Ford oilspec. not available), ACEA A5/B5

1996 Nissan Micra 1.0i CG10DE
Oil recomended in Owners Manual:

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Much of the Micra's chart is the same as that for my old 1991 Audi 200 Turbo. I'm surprised at where they placed 20w-20 on that Nissan chart, though.

My old 1996 Audi S6 TQ had the same chart but oil had to be VW 500.00 spec.

1. City, State or Province, Country: Greenville, SC, USA

2. Model Year, Make, Model, Engine: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab, 5.9L 360

3. Oil recomended in Owners Manual: Not quite the owner's manual, but will do as mine is MIA.....

4. Oil you currently use: Quaker State Ultimate Durability 10w30

Originally Posted By: Sawdusted
What surprised me was that for the 1.6L 3zzfe engine 1st post, the oil capacity is only 1.5L(1.6qts). You can do 3 oil changes with each oil change special here
wink.gif

Actually that's what it takes to go from low to high on dipstick. Total oil for oil change w/ filter is 4L.

Now that's more reasonable. Was starting to think there was a typo or that your car has a quart bottle for a sump :p

What surprised me was that for the 1.6L 3zzfe engine 1st post, the oil capacity is only 1.5L(1.6qts). You can do 3 oil changes with each oil change special here
wink.gif

Actually that's what it takes to go from low to high on dipstick. Total oil for oil change w/ filter is 4L.

Now that's more reasonable. Was starting to think there was a typo or that your car has a quart bottle for a sump :p

I thought it was stating the engine capacity and had nothing to do with the oil. We state engine capacity in liters rather than cubic inches (1L is approx 61 cubic inches).

I'm pretty sure it's just stating engine type and capacity,
Gasoline Engine: 1.5L
Diesel Engine: 1.6L

1991 Audi 200 Turbo, which I have posted elsewhere:

Engine_Oil_Grades.jpg

It made reference to API SJ or whatever was contemporary at the time. Synthetic was allowed, but no changes in OCI for that. The severe service interval was around 12,000 km.

For comparison, here is the chart for the 1995 Audi S6:

Oil_Chart_S6.jpg

(NA)Canada/US

2001 Honda S2000 F20C

1smf.jpg

Although spec'd for 10W30 & 5W40
I've also used and tracked the car with 0w40 GC

this reinforces the FACT that in USA only the MPG matters, not the long life of your engine. one change on my girlfriends 13 2.5L malibu 5-20 WATER on the cap now using 5-30 also dexos I approved

Managua, Nicaragua

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe

OEM recommendation:

image.jpg

image-1.jpg

At the bottom of the second picture it says that 5w20 is recommended for better fuel economy and to refer to chart if not available, and that higher viscosity oils should be used for higher temperatures. Last line says not to use 5w20 in the Middle East.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back