Nurse arrested for doing her job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting thought there Pandus13... I would think the majority of people there would be cool about it and not mistreat another officer because this idiot.

As to what Molacule stated... That makes a whole lot of sense and that was the courts decision. A correct one I might add. Well then, how about those apples?? I'm sorry but if I were there it would not have been a positive encounter with that world champion. And I wouldn't have felt bad about it. I got to know many local county and state police when I worked at a local gym. 95% of those guys and ladies were really good, good people. They were just as good natured as you could ask for. I am grateful for having the opportunity to hear their stories and experiences. They really had some wild stuff happen at times. But one great thing was knowing that these people would not make a circumstance very bad due to them being an idiot. Unlike that world champion there in Utah.

Last edited by a moderator:
That mental midget wins the "prestigious" National Moron of the Year award. What a complete fool. Anyhow... Second thought to this.. . Where in the same Hades is a doctor?? Where is the nursing Supervisor?? Hospital administrator?? What a bunch of invertebrates, non supportive morons there too... A blood draw cannot happen without a physicians order. Did the doctor give one?? And where was the jellyfish of person when all this went down?? Where is the administrator of the hospital to mediate this circumstance?? What a sorry excuse for upper management company workers. If I were in charge at that place I would summarily fire all those lacking backbone individuals. Anyone wonder why people working on a floor sometimes feel all alone?? Why they feel like no give a beaver dam about them?? Those people there should be ashamed of themselves.

Clearly the semi truck wasn't doing anything at all wrong there. Would have been difficult to convince a judge to issue a warrant to test the driver for DUI.

Police desperate for an excuse not to get sued by the semi driver for chasing a car into him. The video looks like they were going 100 mph or more. Most departments have a policy not to get into prolonged or high speed car chases without a very good reason, because they are extremely dangerous to bystanders.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378
Who was on the phone, telling the cop he was "making a big mistake"?

The nurse's supervisor

bbhero,
as mentioned, the nurse supervisor was on the phone already warning the cop.

Also at least 1 University police/guard...

In another video he says he'll bring that hospital all the transients he picks up, and take the good patients elsewhere.

A class act, who doesn't seem too worried about being fired; much less being charged with his own crimes.

About as useful as waving a red cape in front of a bull. Predictable outcome, as the video demonstrates.

Yes demonstrating that you know more about the law than a cop is at least as bad as running away from one, which the lady also tried. It just fires up their hormones.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
That mental midget wins the "prestigious" National Moron of the Year award. What a complete fool. Anyhow... Second thought to this.. . Where in the same Hades is a doctor?? Where is the nursing Supervisor?? Hospital administrator?? What a bunch of invertebrates, non supportive morons there too... A blood draw cannot happen without a physicians order. Did the doctor give one?? And where was the jellyfish of person when all this went down?? Where is the administrator of the hospital to mediate this circumstance?? What a sorry excuse for upper management company workers. If I were in charge at that place I would summarily fire all those lacking backbone individuals. Anyone wonder why people working on a floor sometimes feel all alone?? Why they feel like no give a beaver dam about them?? Those people there should be ashamed of themselves.

I'd be surprised if the cop wouldn't have been able to involuntarily draw the blood if the person was under arrest (even if unconscious) or with a court order. Even without a doctor's order. I don't think we're talking about normal hospital blood draw procedures, although it sounds as if this head nurse in the burn unit was well versed on how to deal with police attempting to draw blood.

I think that was the nurse's supervisor. Or at least that's how it was reported.

Originally Posted By: Win
In another video he says he'll bring that hospital all the transients he picks up, and take the good patients elsewhere.

A class act, who doesn't seem too worried about being fired; much less being charged with his own crimes.

That was for a side job he has transporting patients to hospitals. I would expect he'll soon be out of that job.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
What city did this happen in?

Salt Lake City at the University of Utah Hospital. The crash actually happened in Logan, Utah. Apparently this cop was asked to get a blood sample by Logan Police. Also on hand are University of Utah Police, who I heard had told him flat out that he needed a warrant to draw blood.

..... as bad as running away from one, which the lady also tried. It just fires up their hormones.

In my state, probably most states, when a law enforcement officer tells you that you are under arrest, you are required to submit to it. No matter how blindingly stupid, wrong, or outright illegal, it is, you have to submit and deal with it later.

I wouldn't expect the nurse to know that, though - most people would react just like she did.

Clearly the semi truck wasn't doing anything at all wrong there. Would have been difficult to convince a judge to issue a warrant to test the driver for DUI.

Police desperate for an excuse not to get sued by the semi driver for chasing a car into him. The video looks like they were going 100 mph or more. Most departments have a policy not to get into prolonged or high speed car chases without a very good reason, because they are extremely dangerous to bystanders.

There were two things though. There are a least four agencies I've heard involved somehow. The chase was Utah Highway Patrol. The request for the blood came from Logan Police. The detective was sent by the Salt Lake City Police in response to the request. And University of Utah Police are standing watching all this unfold.

And I don't know if you call it a warrant for a judge to sign off on the blood draw. Perhaps just a court order. I don't fully understand all the legal language though.

..... as bad as running away from one, which the lady also tried. It just fires up their hormones.

In my state, probably most states, when a law enforcement officer tells you that you are under arrest, you are required to submit to it. No matter how blindingly stupid, wrong, or outright illegal, it is, you have to submit and deal with it later.

I wouldn't expect the nurse to know that, though - most people would react just like she did.

There was old case law that said that resisting arrest for an unlawful arrest wasn't a crime or that the unlawful arrest could mitigate the charges (i.e. murder downgraded to manslaughter). It's not really used much, but it's still kind of out there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Elk_v._United_States

About as useful as waving a red cape in front of a bull. Predictable outcome, as the video demonstrates.

Yeahhh. When the hospital supervisor on phone tells him he's making a "huge mistake", that was the trigger. In Payne's mind it was, I'll show him and her it's no mistake.

A little disappointed in the University police for not backing the nurse more aggressively. But them again, University/hospital police vs city, not hard to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back