Nu GDi 2.0l Hyundai/Kia Engine Oil and Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brigadier
So, if you MUST use OEM filters to maintain warranty, isn't the OEM required to provide them free under the Magnuson Moss Act? I doubt that TSB was mailed to every owner via certified return receipt mail.

It is not required. It is recommended. For the SB, it is directed to change to OEM filter and see if problem is resolved.

For what it's worth, you can get filters much cheaper on eBay. I just received 6 filters (new part number) with crush washers for 24 bucks and free shipping.

Don't often use Hyundai/Kia filters. Never had an issue, and we're on our 5th Hyundai/Kia vehicle with the Santa Fe well over 100k miles. The Mann-Hummel OEMs are great too. I just don't go out of my way to get them.

Mostly used:
Fram xg9688
STP s2808 ml
Wix 51334
NapaGold 51334
Purolator P1 PL14459

20181025_064833.jpg

Last edited:
I use a Fram Ultra spin on filter (#XG9688) and PP 5W30 ("Thin" 30W D1 Gen 2 , SN+ with A5/B5 rating for my '17 Sonata and Elantra . I believe the Ultra filter has better filtering and I have never experienced any sign what so ever of any "pressure" damage from a Hyundai engine with this filter . With 5K OCI's I could leave this oil filter on for 3 or 4 oil changes and still be in good shape (20K mile filter life) but I usually change it out after 2 oil changes . I pay $9 and some change for the Fram Ultra so for two oil changes I'm still <$1 less than the Hyundai filter with it's average quality filter media ...

Using Kia filters here with occasional M1 once a year or so.
Kia filters are very well built and cheap if buying 10pcs at a time on Amazon. I use 5-6 filters a year between 2 cars.

Originally Posted by ctmnismo
I just got a 2016 Kia Forte EX with 5k miles, with the "Nu GDi 2.0l" engine (non turbo). On the Kia/Hyundai forums, there are some posts that the engines don't like non OEM filters, but without much or any explanation and the forums are too slow to get any answers. There have also been a lot of reports and even recalls recently for the older non GDI engines failing early (60K miles or so) even with regular oil changes. The new GDi one is too new to have reached that point, but a few failures have shown up.

That said, I normally would just run Pennzoil Platinum synthetic with a Wix filter in my past vehicles, and change every 6 months. I wanted to see if I should just continue with that or if there is a better recommendation? I assume the Pennzoil Platinum would have the Kia/Hyundai required certification as well?

Run OE oil filters until the engine is broken in. Myself and others have had leaks using aftermarket filters before the break in period. (GDI2.4L owners). Once the engine is broken in then experiment with aftermarket filters. Keep your receipts for oil and filters purchased with date/mileage written on them so you can stay within warranty if you ever have to use it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DZcreet
Originally Posted by ctmnismo
I just got a 2016 Kia Forte EX with 5k miles, with the "Nu GDi 2.0l" engine (non turbo). On the Kia/Hyundai forums, there are some posts that the engines don't like non OEM filters, but without much or any explanation and the forums are too slow to get any answers. There have also been a lot of reports and even recalls recently for the older non GDI engines failing early (60K miles or so) even with regular oil changes. The new GDi one is too new to have reached that point, but a few failures have shown up.

That said, I normally would just run Pennzoil Platinum synthetic with a Wix filter in my past vehicles, and change every 6 months. I wanted to see if I should just continue with that or if there is a better recommendation? I assume the Pennzoil Platinum would have the Kia/Hyundai required certification as well?

Run OE oil filters until the engine is broken in. Myself and others have had leaks using aftermarket filters before the break in period. (GDI2.4L owners). Once the engine is broken in then experiment with aftermarket filters. Keep your receipts for oil and filters purchased with date/mileage written on them so you can stay within warranty if you ever have to use it.

*I have used both the OEM and the Fram Ultra oil filters on my 2017 Sonata 2.4L GDI engine with no leaks from the oil filter ... **However I thought it wise to let the dealer do the oil change after I did my 1,500 mile initial OCI (just to have on record) and was penalized for it greatly . When I did the next oil change (which I did myself) I noticed I was missing half the 10mm cover screws to get at the oil filter & drain plug - next I had to use a darn breaker bar on my 3/8th drive ratchet with 17mm socket to remove the drain plug and now the drain plug leaks thanks to the dealer , low man on the totem pole , Cro - Magnon who did my oil change ... Never again !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back