2018 Hyundai Tucson - Nu 2.0L Engine Problems?

I'm considering a 2018 Hyundai Tucson with the Nu 2.0L GDI engine. There is a well-known history of the Theta II engines having catastrophic engine failure well before 100k miles. It actually led to a huge class action lawsuit and settlement. Since that engine has been used in some trim levels it has given the Tucson a poor reliability rating.

My question is, how common is it for the Nu 2.0L GDI engine to have issues with premature failure?

I'm considering a 2018 Hyundai Tucson with the Nu 2.0L GDI engine. There is a well-known history of the Theta II engines having catastrophic engine failure well before 100k miles. It actually led to a huge class action lawsuit and settlement. Since that engine has been used in some trim levels it has given the Tucson a poor reliability rating.

My question is, how common is it for the Nu 2.0L GDI engine to have issues with premature failure?
common enough that the dealers are backed up wirh replacement engine jobs

I find these issues really interesting. IS there any reports of these issues in other geographic regions? I know the US is a huge market and naturally will have a higher number of failures as a result. Here in New Zealand, I haven't seen any reports of these engine failures, or of the subaru issues that are commonly reported in the US as well.

I'm wondering if there is differences in manufacturing, or fuel used etc that is a contributing factor. Thoughts?

So the NU engine is crapping out also? Anyone know it’s common issues - other than being built by Hyundai. ?

I find these issues really interesting. IS there any reports of these issues in other geographic regions? I know the US is a huge market and naturally will have a higher number of failures as a result. Here in New Zealand, I haven't seen any reports of these engine failures, or of the subaru issues that are commonly reported in the US as well.

I'm wondering if there is differences in manufacturing, or fuel used etc that is a contributing factor. Thoughts?
I believe the Tucson that New Zealand received was equipped with the MPI Nu engine. In the US, the base model Tucson came with the direct injection Nu engine. Kia/Hyun engine issues are heavily skewed towards their GDI engines. Their MPI engines are more reliable. The 2.0L MPI Nu engine in my Elantra has been rock solid.

I don't remember the '18s being affected, but the Nu had a bad batch of pistons and piston rings
Run the VIN on Hyundai's website, see if there's any open recalls or service campaigns

Purely for educational purposes, here's the '19/'20 engine recall video

My neighbor had a 2020 Elantra with an affected engine
It passed the recall inspection, one day randomly burned all it's oil, and began knocking
The engine was replaced with little fuss

Edit: 2018 Tucson is covered by Campaign TXXM, which extends engine warranty to 15y/150k IF THE KSDS UPDATE WAS PERFORMED BY 11/4/2023

Run the VIN and read this document

Last edited:
Back