New VW Oil LIst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a bottle of the LL3 oil at my dealership.

DSC00219.jpg

It does not seem that the specs for this oil are available anywhere.
The closest I could find was the Edge oil on the German website and the TBN on that is 6.0.

In the UK they are saying that this oil should be able to go to 20 000 miles without problems. With the Long Life sensor the oil should go 9000 miles(12 months) to 20000 miles (24 months).

Anybody know the details of the VW/ Audi LongLife system? I am pretty sure it is just a sensor in the oil pan and everything else is the same. Oil capacity, filters, engine design/ components. If anybody has the details, let me know.

Being able to go 10 000 miles on oil changes would be a major relief for me. I have been aiming for it, and will be sending UOAs to see if I can pull it off.

I believe they just call it by different names in different countries. If it's got the vw 504/507 ratings, I'd bet it is the same oil as the "Edge" in Europe.

iirc, SLX LL-2 was a low HT/HS 0w-30 oil. (which I'd love to try in a Honda) This oil obviously is not thin as it makes VW 502's HT/HS of 3.5cP, but it's a 30 (likely 12cSt) at +100c...sound familliar, like GC? I suppose this oil is not American manufacture.

Could you by chance post the part number the VW dealer sold you ?

If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost ?

Part #: GVW052195M2

The cost, was around $7. I didn't buy the oil yet, he just gave me the price. I think the wholesale is around $6.

Originally Posted By: StoicDude
Anybody know the details of the VW/ Audi LongLife system?

VW/Audi vehicles with WIV (flexible service interval) contain a computer that analyzes data like type of driving, driving style, load, fuel consumption, oil temperature etc and calculates, while constantly adjusting, the remaining distance to the next oil change. A VW will display the upcoming service 3000 km in advance, and Audi will display it at 2000 km.

WIV also requires a LongLife battery and brake pads with electronic wear sensors.

One thing I've noticed when looking at the Castrol 'Edge' oil that has the vw504/507 rating, is that they don't list an API rating, like SL/SM. The other Edge oils do though. I think I'm going to call the dealer and order some.

Thanks for the update on the WIV.
I didn't know how complicated it was.

Here are some more pictures from the oil bottles. I might have to go and get some and send it out for VOAs.

According to my source, the silver bottle is the old packaging. All new ones will be coming in the gold bottle.

DSC00254.jpg

DSC00253.jpg

DSC00252.jpg

On the gold bottle it states:
This product has not been formulated to API Service Classifications. It has been manufactured specifically for VW engines built after 2007.

A bit further down it states: Contains CA5 (or S, cant really see well) 68649-42-3 Zinc Dialkyl Dithlophosphate (I might have misspelled that). Anybody have any input on what that is?

API could go away and the motor oil world would be fine because there is ACEA. So I can see why no money was wasted on API certification.

That chemical is ZDDP.

Interesting oil. I hope you do get a VOA. Expect it to look weak due to move toward more reliance on ashless additives.

It's CAS "Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS), a division of the American Chemical Society, "

If you plug CAS and the number into Google, you will see a metric [censored] load of sources telling you what it is. If you care more than I do, you can pick the CAS database you like best and bookmark it.

If Google doesn't answer your question well enough, some of you fellow BITOGERS (not me) can tell you more about an oil ingredient from the CAS number than you will easily find online.

The gold bottle says "Made in Austria" and is Castrol packaging, whereas the grey bottle states "Made in Germany" and is VW packaging.

My question is will this oil work in older engines or is there something special about the newer engines that allow lower zddp? It was my impression this oil is made to work with the newer exhaut systems, not necessarily the engines. The Professional OE oil is API SL rated.

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
The gold bottle says "Made in Austria" and is Castrol packaging, whereas the grey bottle states "Made in Germany" and is VW packaging.

My question is will this oil work in older engines or is there something special about the newer engines that allow lower zddp? It was my impression this oil is made to work with the newer exhaut systems, not necessarily the engines. The Professional OE oil is API SL rated.

Some people on the TDI forum have gotten letters from VW saying that the 507 is an acceptable replacement for 505.1 in PD TDIs. That means don't worry about ZDDP levels because the PD TDI injector drive rocker system is very sensitive to boundary layer lubrication.

VW and Audi allow VW 504/507 oil in older engines, including those that call for example for VW 502.00 or VW 505.00. However, I doubt that VW 504/507 oil is ideal for all those engines for which its use is sanctioned.

I wish somebody would list which VW and Audi engines have roller cams and which use solid lifters. My guess is that all newer VW and Audi gas, PD and TDI engine designs use low-friction roller cams. My '96 Audi has solid lifters and I seriously doubt that any mid or low-SAPS oil is ideal for that type engine.

Thanks guys. I am not going to dig deeper into this.

If I get the oil, I ll probably do the VOA and see how it is.

If this oil can perform well to 10 000 miles I would certainly get it. I ll have to wait to use up my Mobl 1 stash and then see what I want to do.

Actually the gold bottle says: Manufactured in the EU, while the Silver is: Made in Germany. My source had it wrong.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
VW and Audi allow VW 504/507 oil in older engines, including those that call for example for VW 502.00 or VW 505.00. However, I doubt that VW 504/507 oil is ideal for all those engines for which its use is sanctioned.

I wish somebody would list which VW and Audi engines have roller cams and which use solid lifters. My guess is that all newer VW and Audi gas, PD and TDI engine designs use low-friction roller cams. My '96 Audi has solid lifters and I seriously doubt that any mid or low-SAPS oil is ideal for that type engine.

The PD TDI (PD is one flavor of TDI) engine uses rollers. It's still real fussy about oil because the PD injectors take lot of force to operate.

Originally Posted By: StoicDude
Actually the gold bottle says: Manufactured in the EU, while the Silver is: Made in Germany. My source had it wrong.

It's there, look about 3 lines north of that black section and it states "made in Austria". I guess Austria is part of the EU...

They may not have gotten the API cert. because it has a good dose of zddp and may correspond with an SJ or older rating, which would be good for the older cars. We need that VOA!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back