New Toyota Camry uses 0W-16 or SAE 16 weight motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
High temperature grades 12 and 8 were adopted by the SAE in the J300 viscosity specification as of January 2015.
They have HTHS numbers of 2.0 and 1.7, respectively.
These may be better at lubricating the door hinges on my truck better than the WD40 that I have been using.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
If it follows the same tread the new oil would be 0w12 or 0w13. Which is a 20% reduction in viscosity just like the 0w16 and 0w20.

The next one is 0w8

Baby oil?

The next oil weight will be "humid air" haha
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Actually I saw a old can of Quaker State that was 10w10.
Might be where we are headed.
Why is it 10W-10 and not just SAE 10?

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton

I have no idea. It was stamped in the can. Weird weights stamped in the cans on so.e of that old Quaker State.

Please keep a watchful eye for 0w-8 oil, it's in the making...

Also, expect to burn 3+ quarts per 1K miles too... on a new and 'tight' engine .... LOL

an SAE 10 has no winter grade testing done at all, while a 10W-10 willhave been tested (and passed) whatever the winter grade testing was back then. Most likely it's a pour point thing...

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

an SAE 10 has no winter grade testing done at all, while a 10W-10 willhave been tested (and passed) whatever the winter grade testing was back then. Most likely it's a pour point thing...

Yes, 20W-20 also existed, so did 10W-20W-30, a 20W-20 oil has to pass the 20W winter test, a SAE 20 does not.

This is an interesting question...

All things being equal (same base oil, same VII, same DI) from a Noack perspective, a 10W16 or a 5W16 oil would be better than a 0W16. However I suspect this is viscometrically more complex than in looks. An SAE 16 needs to have a KV100 of between 6.1 and 8.2 cst while at the same time needing to have a minimum HTHS of 2.3 cP. Assuming GF-5 rules apply, then the oil would need to meet a Noack spec of 15% max.

At he bottom end of the range, a 6.1 KV100 monograde oil definitely won't give 2.3 HTHS. I don't know, but I suspect, that something like a Group II fully formulated oil with an 8.2 KV100 might also struggle to meet the 2.3 min HTHS spec because the oil needs a minimum Viscosity Index to make everything work out. You can certainly up the VI with VII polymer but I suspect you would then quickly run foul of the 15% Noack spec. If this is indeed the case, then the answer would be to go synthetic which is fine but as a consequence, the W-rating of the oil would naturally start to drop. At the extreme, I might expect a full PAO SAE 16 monograde to be not far off having the properties of a 0W16 oil.

If anyone knows of anyone selling a SAE 16 oil, can they say who. The nearest I could find was Ravenol's 5W16 which I suspect is a lightly VI treated Group III/PAO mix.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
I love Citgo data sheets...
http://www.technologylubricants.com/MSDS/CITGO/PDS/C500 single visc_pds.pdf
http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/C10005A.pdf

Thanks for this. I am a bit surprised but I take it all back; the Citgo 10W oil meets the criteria of being a 10W16 oil with ease.

However, a couple of points...

First, Citgo don't quote Noacks on the PDS which is a bit of a shame as that would have been a useful bit of info to complete the picture.

Second, these are lowly CF/CF-2 HDDO oils. Yes they contain detergent and doubtless plenty of ZDDP. However they may not contain that much Ashless Dispersant (the Cat 1MPC test for CF does not require Ashless for soot handling). I might expect a typical GF-5 oil to contain around 5%. Ashless impacts Noack more than any other additive so I might expect Noack to be more tricky with an SAE 16 PCMO.

Third, is the 10W Citgo oil synthetic? Look at its VI (of 129) relative to the VIs of the heavier oils (100 to 106). I might guess this oil is Group III based. It may well be that Citgo had a go at making a Group II 10W oil (in keeping with the heavier oils) but maybe ran foul of some of the issues I raised in my post.

Joe, wasn't taking a crack at you, just adding to the data set.

I'd buy your 10W20 2.9HTHS in a heartbeat, or if you choose to move to my preferred "XW-HTHS" system, I'd really rather a 10W-3.4.

Joe, wasn't taking a crack at you, just adding to the data set.

I'd buy your 10W20 2.9HTHS in a heartbeat, or if you choose to move to my preferred "XW-HTHS" system, I'd really rather a 10W-3.4.

No slight was even remotely taken. In fact I'm rather pleased you drew my attention to this Citgo PDS because I think you have stumbled upon the perfect oil for 'pootlers'. The 10W16 is even better than my conceptual 10W20.

I am a pootler and proud of it! I am not one of those people for whom driving is a pleasure. I liken driving to getting my prostate checked (it's necessary but the longer it goes on, the more I wish it was over!). My little lightweight car rarely goes above 2500 rpm and 55 mph. I change up as quickly as I can, I never tow a boat and our climate is about as moderate as moderate can be. As such, I reckon my oil, even in the big-end bearings, never gets anywhere close to 150°C. As such, I reckon my engine could happily live with a 2.3 cP HTHS oil. The car is specced for 0W20 so moving to a 10W16 isn't that much of a leap.

I also like this 10W16 oil from a philosophical point of view. Once upon a time, all the world had was Group I base oils. They were okay but not great. To improve them you resorted to additives; VII polymer to up the VI and a DI cocktail to improve their resistance to oxidation, etc. Then along came PAO to be followed by (much cheaper) Group III. These base oils had inherently better VI and way better oxidation resistance than Group I oils. Logically these oils should have required LESS VII/DI than Group Is but that's not what happened. Additive treats tended to stay where they had always been and everything just got 'better', or so we were told. My gut feel would be this Citgo 10W16 is a Group III based oil which contains no VII and very little Ashless (which logically you wouldn't need because there in no VII to create deposits and the base oil is so stable, the risk of the oil sludging is remote). It would contain detergent (necessary for acid control) and ZDDP (necessary for wear control) but that's probably it. I wonder what this stuff costs? Logically it should be very cheap but in the lunatic world of lubricant economics, what stuff costs often has zero relationship to what it costs to produce.

I will try and find out more about this Citgo oil (particularly its Noack & Phosphorus content). I know a guy who might know a guy who could provide answers. Fingers crossed...

Last edited:
I love Citgo data sheets...
http://www.technologylubricants.com/MSDS/CITGO/PDS/C500 single visc_pds.pdf
http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/C10005A.pdf

Now, that's a really neat concept: a 10W monograde that meets the 16 high temperature viscosity specs. That's sort of a thumb in the eye to the SAE for making a big deal out of lower high temperature grades. I bet that a 5W monograde could also be formulated to meet the 16 spec. But it would probably be a full synthetic.

I Googled around a bit looking for properties of other 10W HDDOs.

This is Castrol's Tection 10W...

KV100 7.0
KV40 43.8
VI 116
CCS-25 6700
HTHS no result provided
Noack 14.7
TBN 7.1
Ash 0.9

This is interesting. The VI is significantly lower than the Citgo 10W suggesting this is primarily either a Group I or Group II oil. As I first suspected, the Noack of this oil, at 14.7%, is quite high. I don't know for sure but despite it's higher KV100, I might expect this Castrol 10W to struggle to meet 2.3 min HTHS. I certainly wouldn't consider this to be suitable for use; even for simple pootling around.

I found plenty of other 10W PDSs but all of the data was very rudimentary and TBH, worthless in comparison to the Citgo data.

Last edited:
I just learned that new cars from Toyota will recommend 0W-16 or SAE 16 weight motor oil. I searched and couldn't find a thread on this so I am reposting an article on 16 weight motor oil here. This seems interesting: ..........

I went to the Toyota website some time ago when I first heard that. Here's what I found:

0W16 is only for the 4 cylinder.
The V6 still takes 0W20.

Both specifically state, something to the effect that "under severe operating conditions, a higher viscosity oil may (should?) be used."
Of course severe is not defined.

Translation: we just wanted to get a 1% better EPA rating and we really don't care how long your engine lasts once the warranty expires.

they are pretty good at describing severe conditions here in europe. Everyone who doesn't strictly commute over an empty highway should be on "severe service".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back