New To Me...a car I never wanted.

Ws6

I got a car I never wanted to have, today. I'd pay any amount of money not to have it, even though it didn't monetarily cost me but $45 for the plates. It's a 2005 Buick LeSabre, with 129K miles on it, and I came by it via Texas DMV form VRT-262, Affidavit of Heirship. It was my mother's.

So far I have replaced the front transmission mount (it was leaking), and noted a engine oil leak, which the mechanic stated was the rear main. It is very minor, and putting some AT-205 in it seems to have slowed it even more. Transmission fluid is kindof brown, but at this mileage I'm leaving it. It shifts crisp under WOT and so forth. The car averaged 26mpg on the way home driven at 70-75mph. It appears to have a posi-track or locking front diff of whatever nature, as it actually goes up my driveway okay. I put bridgestone weatherpeaks on the car. They ride nice. I couldn't find CC2's in the very Southern US and the tires she had on it were dry rotting, and I needed something THEN for the 1200mi trip home. Weatherpeaks got decent reviews and were in stock. Firestone tried to sell me $300 adjustable camber bolts...I declined. They "got it close". The car has had its share of scrapes and dings, but for 19 years old, it's pretty clean. The interior is mint. I've probably already put more into the car "than its worth" in a strictly monetary sense, but that doesn't bother me at all. I am pretty sure the cat is no good as I keep getting P0420, and the gas cap is "always loose" per the codes, even though I bought a new one. It still runs just fine, though.

What else should I look at/be aware of with this make and model?

My condolences. Wish you had your mom instead of that car, too.

I am totally not an expert, but do have some experience with a couple of that generation of LeSabre's. The 3.8l is an excellent engine, though it has a few quirks. There are some plastic water "elbows" for the thermostat bypass that are prone to cracking and leaking. Dorman makes an aluminum replacement. Hopefully it's already been done. Earlier years were prone to coolant leaks in the intake manifold gaskets, but I think 2005 should have the updated gaskets. Just know that if you find that you keep needing to top off the coolant, it could be the intake manifold gaskets. Ignoring it will damage the cat as well as eventually damaging the bearings.

It it was me, I would drop the transmission pan and clean the metal off the pan magnet and add an additional one. They have electronic solenoids that you want to keep as much metal out of as possible and they are a common source of trouble.

As for the rest of the car, we've seen lower control arm bushings wear out and the air ride (or whatever they call it) suspension needing repair. You can buy rear shocks with helper springs as a cheap alternative for fixing any saggy rear suspension issues.

I got a car I never wanted to have, today. I'd pay any amount of money not to have it, even though it didn't monetarily cost me but $45 for the plates. It's a 2005 Buick LeSabre, with 129K miles on it, and I came by it via Texas DMV form VRT-262, Affidavit of Heirship. It was my mother's.

So far I have replaced the front transmission mount (it was leaking), and noted a engine oil leak, which the mechanic stated was the rear main. It is very minor, and putting some AT-205 in it seems to have slowed it even more. Transmission fluid is kindof brown, but at this mileage I'm leaving it. It shifts crisp under WOT and so forth. The car averaged 26mpg on the way home driven at 70-75mph. It appears to have a posi-track or locking front diff of whatever nature, as it actually goes up my driveway okay. I put bridgestone weatherpeaks on the car. They ride nice. I couldn't find CC2's in the very Southern US and the tires she had on it were dry rotting, and I needed something THEN for the 1200mi trip home. Weatherpeaks got decent reviews and were in stock. Firestone tried to sell me $300 adjustable camber bolts...I declined. They "got it close". The car has had its share of scrapes and dings, but for 19 years old, it's pretty clean. The interior is mint. I've probably already put more into the car "than its worth" in a strictly monetary sense, but that doesn't bother me at all. I am pretty sure the cat is no good as I keep getting P0420, and the gas cap is "always loose" per the codes, even though I bought a new one. It still runs just fine, though.

My sincerest condolences.

I inherited two cars last summer, mom's and dad's. They say it gets easier in time.

Sorry for your loss, I lost my mom this past Oct as well.

On the trans fluid, I'd siphon and refill with Maxlife every oil change for 3xs and then 30k afterwards, won't hurt it. I'd change all the fluids, check the hoses/belts and the p0420 could be if it burns oil and not the cat is shot. Maybe try Maxlife 5/10w30 for a yr and see if it doesn't resolve the burning and code, helped fix the p0420 with my Ascender. My neighbor has several of these vehicles and loves them for his commute.

Currently it has Maxlife 5-30 in it.
I am scared to mess with the transmission, as I have had horrible luck with them once you start swapping fluid, even for siphon fill.
I will definitely keep the coolant issue in mind.

Reactions: wlk
20240425_034207.jpg

Sorry to hear about your mom. Similar situation with my 2003 Jag X-Type. Dad left it to me in 2008, I fixed the bad transfer case, buffed everything up, and I've been driving in honor of my father ever since. Might be time, at 22 years old, to send the car on it's way. However it's still running well enough.

The Impala in my signature came to me under similar circumstances; my parents died in 2011 and 2022. They loved the comfy ol' Impala so who am I to get rid of it? It has various little dings and scratches they put on it (plus some rust) so it has more value as a reliable second car than if I had decided to sell it.

Reactions: wlk
I am very sorry for your loss.

When my father passed away, I inherited his Mercedes 240D. Not really a car that I wanted, but he had always aspired to owning a Mercedes and this was his first. It was a great car, and I came to really like it. I drove it every day.

Sadly, the car began rusting in the floors (leaky rear window seal) and I had no idea. By the time it discovered the problem, it wasn’t worth saving. Letting that car go was harder than I thought it would be, despite the clarity of the decision, because of the connection to him.

Sorry for your loss.

As for airbags, check if Arnott makes it for Buick. They are well regarded in BMW, Mercedes, VW/Audi and Lexus community.
Regular springs, if there is alternative, is good alternative but not sure it is worth it considering you probably won’t rack up mileage on that car.

I am sorry for the loss of your Mom. I also applaud you for keeping the car and for keeping it on the road.

There is a phenomenon now happening in the U.S. as a result of so many elderly drivers passing on.....and that is so many of their former rides are ending up as saleable vehicles on the salvage yard sale lots. My guess is that this is what happens when a family member inherits a high mileage or older vehicle that they just don't want or unwilling to try to sell themselves. As a last resort, they call the local salvage yard to come get it and they take whatever is offered to them.

I have seen many vehicles at yards, that are perfectly running and driving candidates and are too nice to either part out, or have too much value as whole saleable units. So if you are looking for a vehicle in this category, don't overlook these potential recycled rides.

I assume it is equipped with GM's venerable 3.8L? The only issue I've heard about (from family member owners) is the tendency of the dash to warp/crack from the sun exposure in southern climates. This can be eliminated with an inexpensive "Dash Mat" to keep the sun off the dash. It's an expensive repair. I've seen this engine run well over 240K miles. I've not heard of any issues with it and it's been offered in both turbo and supercharged versions.

Sorry to hear about your mother.

I would not be nervous changing the transmission fluid in a spill and fill scenario. I was nervous about doing that to my 226,000 mile 09 Camry, but I finally did it last summer, and was glad I did as it did improve shifting. I'll do another one this year as well.

My mother had the same car, diff model year. She had problems with the rear window lifts, intermediate steering shaft rattle, and the headliner tearing and falling down at the top of the back glass.

Currently it has Maxlife 5-30 in it.
I am scared to mess with the transmission, as I have had horrible luck with them once you start swapping fluid, even for siphon fill.
I will definitely keep the coolant issue in mind.
Sorry about your mother. This idea that you shouldn't touch trans fluid is just wrong. New fluid is always better, and trans fluid is a wear item.

Back