Help me pick a new car

A car that you like and out of those the one that would costprobably the least $$$ over the posession of it.

You seem to be happy with the idea of full or at least partial EVs. I'd just go and drive everything that catches your eye to see what you really want. We were determined to go EV on the last car and we went and drove everything full EV that a dealer could get us a test drive with. I wanted to try PoleStar but there's not a dealer/service center in my state so I had no interest in opening that can of worms if we did have an issue.

I know every person is looking for a different thing from a vehicle when they purchase. Practicality is a big one. I tend to lean more into fun and performance, but I need a car to be able to take all my gear where ever I may need to go so I start looking at cargo space. I could suggest a thousand different things and I almost always start at GTI because it's so smartly packaged and stupid fun to drive. A car can be a very fun purchase. Happy hunting!

Toyota can have cruddy build quality too and rattles. That is pure luck of the draw.
True, but it's not as likely compared to many other brands. If you want to increase your chances of getting a good vehicle, you have to at least consider Toyota.

You seem to be happy with the idea of full or at least partial EVs. I'd just go and drive everything that catches your eye to see what you really want. We were determined to go EV on the last car and we went and drove everything full EV that a dealer could get us a test drive with. I wanted to try PoleStar but there's not a dealer/service center in my state so I had no interest in opening that can of worms if we did have an issue.

I know every person is looking for a different thing from a vehicle when they purchase. Practicality is a big one. I tend to lean more into fun and performance, but I need a car to be able to take all my gear where ever I may need to go so I start looking at cargo space. I could suggest a thousand different things and I almost always start at GTI because it's so smartly packaged and stupid fun to drive. A car can be a very fun purchase. Happy hunting!

I've owned two GTIs in the past and they were lightyears ahead of this Acura by any measure. I do like the idea of an EV and have rented the Polestar 2 and was very impressed. They have a great lease deal and there's a dealer right down the street, but according to the website nothing available until January delivery which also throws off the tax credit for this year.

I’m

nor is Acura however he got one with the cases of rattles….

It's not just all the rattles, everything about this car screams cheap. Stuff you don't really notice on a quick test drive, Aldi toilet paper is thicker than the floor mats, the passenger side seatback is so thin it feels like you're going to fall through it. Luckily the driver has 4 way lumbar so it's a lot better. It's a $20k Civic with an Acura badge.

It's not just all the rattles, everything about this car screams cheap. Stuff you don't really notice on a quick test drive, Aldi toilet paper is thicker than the floor mats, the passenger side seatback is so thin it feels like you're going to fall through it. Luckily the driver has 4 way lumbar so it's a lot better. It's a $20k Civic with an Acura badge.

A Civic to run around in 6 months of the year would be great.
Probably be driving one, if I didn't need a truck for winters, and hauling stuff.

Honestly I know you're not happy with the Acura and with the lowball offer on it not wanting to part. However, I would seriously consider it maybe look around for other offers? I would not want to drive something longer than I had to. Just think of it for the next year or two, you could be cursing that sucker every time you get in it!

Tonight wasn't good, one of the washing machine hoses decided to spring a leak despite only being two years old, so dealing with that involved a trip to Home Depot. On the way back the infotainment system in the Integra decided to have one of it's usual meltdowns where it takes 10 minutes to boot. In the meantime, every rattle this car exhibits also decided to make an appearance. B pillar right by your ear, A pillar. At that point I decided I hate this car and I want it out of my life. Other than lousy build quality, the ride height is way too low for my taste. My short list for you to critique -

Buick Envision - had a rental I loved
Polestar 2 - had a rental I loved
Lexus ES350 - I've never driven but seems like a good value
Ford Maverick - I've never driven but seems like a good value
Grand Cherokee 4Xe - I've rented the gas version and loved it. Electric range is perfect for the short drives we take
Wrangler 4Xe - I've rented the gas version and loved it. Electric range is perfect for the short drives we take
knowing your track record you will choose poorly

It’s actually a $30k Civic SI with Acura rebadge and some bits added to make it $32k. You picked the expensive package(for manual?) during high demand times for cars to make it $38k….Those pricy packages never hold their value vs base MSRP of vehicle.

It’s not a $20k civic….Its akin to saying I got a $20k base VW Golf when I paid for loaded GTI.

Unfortunate events and sympathize.

Last edited:
It’s actually a $30k Civic SI with Acura rebadge and some bits added to make it $32k. You picked the expensive package(for manual?) during high demand times for cars to make it $38k….Those pricy packages never hold their value vs base MSRP of vehicle.

It’s not a $20k civic….Its akin to saying I got a $20k base VW Golf when I paid for loaded GTI.

Unfortunate events and sympathize.

The difference is the GTI is a quality engineered and well built vehicle that holds it's value. There's no way I would have lost that much value with a GTI.

The difference is the GTI is a quality engineered and well built vehicle that holds it's value. There's no way I would have lost that much value with a GTI.
If I may ask have you gotten another bid for your Integra or basing all this negative energy one companies bid and poor data set on value? It might be reality or low ball ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , 🤞 for the later.

Tough spot. You're going to hate the car every time you drive it while waiting for the depreciation curve to flatten out to whatever you can tolerate. Have you gotten any trade-in offers? At least that takes some of the sting out of the 10ish% sales tax.

I’d go with the Lexus. If you want a nicer Camry/Avalon, go with the ES350. If you want sportier feel, and RWD or AWD, go with an IS350. There is an ES300 AWD, but I think you’re stuck with a 4 cylinder or smaller V6. My wife is loving her IS350, except for traction when the driveway gets muddy. It’s also darn fast! IS350 requires premium gas.
IMG_5494.jpeg

I’d go with the Lexus. If you want a nicer Camry/Avalon, go with the ES350. If you want sportier feel, and RWD or AWD, go with an IS350. There is an ES300 AWD, but I think you’re stuck with a 4 cylinder or smaller V6. My wife is loving her IS350, except for traction when the driveway gets muddy. It’s also darn fast! IS350 requires premium gas.

The ES AWD comes with a 2.5 NA 4 cyl engine, same one that comes in the Camry.

The IS 300 RWD comes with a 2.0 liter 4 cyl turbo and probably only available in warmer climate areas.

IS 300 AWD comes with a detuned 3.5 V6 engine while the IS 350 gets the higher HP engine.

IS 500 V8 available in RWD only.

Back