New SUV Suggestions

I'm going to make the same argument frequently cited by Hyundai haters-except applying the same principals to the Explorer-why would you buy one when they are many other SOLID choices?

Why would I buy one (and we did)?

Past familiarity with the Explorer.
Past familiarity with the ecoboost lineup of engines.
Test drove 5 other comparable suvs, all made in the USA (not USA owned), and liked the feel of Explorer and the Pilot the best.
Inflexibility of Honda dealers- basically a you'll buy what we have and like it - leading to not being able to get the color we wanted with an interior we wanted in any definable time-frame.
Liked the 10 speed transmission is more or less the same as used much heavier and powerful setups - like the F150.
Appreciate the rear wheel drive platform the explorer is built on versus the FWD biased platforms of most competitors.

In practice, we are getting 22+ mpg on average burning E15 gasoline which dings fuel mileage about 2% from E10 in our use. 50% short trip, 50% freeway use in a cold weather climate. Gets over 27 mpg regularly on freeway runs with plenty of power on tap.
Serves the needs as a family hauler for hockey and the 3rd row comes in handy for hauling teammates around.
Of all the vehicles we've owned, this is my favorite for winter driving (we put winter tires on it- same as every other vehicle we own).
Zero unscheduled maintenance to date.

The last time we went down this road, your support was a consumer reports article from December of 2020 where they predicted the same poor performance as the 2020 model which did have a botched launch. Unfortunately for Consumer Reports, they then say the same thing for the 22 model despite the fact their own survey data shows the 2021 model is performing significantly better in the real world. In the old days that would prompt discussions about consumer reports biases and poor statistical analysis, but these days who knows.

And I'll point it out (again), those who actually own them on this board actually like them... When the complaints start on them, it's the same cast of characters everytime.

So believe what you want to. Happy to share what my actual ownership experience has been.

In the last year Ive had:

Cx5 grand touring reserve: Very well made, suspension somewhat unrefined, decent power, awd system mediocre.

Rav4 prime xse: extremely efficient, power amazing, awd system absolutely pathetic, interior cheap and shoddy.

Acura rdx aspec advance: mediocre build quality, amazing interior and sound system, awesome awd and suspension, lower mpg than the cx5 turbo for similar power.

I am moving on to a Kia EV6 GT Line.

Of note, the rdx is a very communicative suspension. It doesnt "float along". She may not like it.
I was talking to a friend today who was interested in the EV6, he went to a dealer today and they're pricing them at $7k over MSRP. He asked about Tellurides and they told him $12k over MSRP.

I was talking to a friend today who was interested in the EV6, he went to a dealer today and they're pricing them at $7k over MSRP. He asked about Tellurides and they told him $12k over MSRP.
Kia dealers seem to be the slimiest ones around locally historically and currently. Really unfortunate here because a lot of people have large pockets but cannot stand the dealership experience and skip over their vehicles. You feel dirty walking out the places. The people with money who want them go further away order the car and get it delivered for the $500 - $1000 fee vs paying the local $5000 - $10000 over.

I think it is fine for pedaling Kia Forte or Soul's but not buyers who look up level around here.

My aunt is considering getting rid of the '16 Avalon and getting into a nice SUV. Max $65k, lower is better of course. Top reliability isn't a requirement, but probably no Euros. Most important is comfort and technology. No outdated tech. 3rd row is not needed, but if a little bigger car gives more 2nd row leg room then it’s a consideration. My ‘14 Grand Cherokee rear leg room is miserable for us tall folks for example. Not wanting a behemoth though.

Currently considering the Acura MDX and Jeep Grand Cherokee (L?). Perhaps the Lexus RX350/RX450h, but geez it’s ugly. Also maybe a Kia Telluride.

Your thoughts on these and other ideas?
If it doesn't have to be an SUV just for thoughts the new Maverick is very handsome and I've heard nothing but good reviews from real world people not internet reviews. I personally would go hybrid and pass on the EcoBoost

Kia dealers seem to be the slimiest ones around locally historically and currently. Really unfortunate here because a lot of people have large pockets but cannot stand the dealership experience and skip over their vehicles. You feel dirty walking out the places. The people with money who want them go further away order the car and get it delivered for the $500 - $1000 fee vs paying the local $5000 - $10000 over.

I think it is fine for pedaling Kia Forte or Soul's but not buyers who look up level around here.
Most Kia dealerships are used to negative equity trades from 500 beacons. They have no clue how to treat 800 credit scores cross shopping Tesla, ETron, etc. with their EV6 line, and it shows. I had to contact nearly a dozen dealers before I found one with any sense in this price bracket.

Why would I buy one (and we did)?

Past familiarity with the Explorer.
Past familiarity with the ecoboost lineup of engines.
Test drove 5 other comparable suvs, all made in the USA (not USA owned), and liked the feel of Explorer and the Pilot the best.
Inflexibility of Honda dealers- basically a you'll buy what we have and like it - leading to not being able to get the color we wanted with an interior we wanted in any definable time-frame.
Liked the 10 speed transmission is more or less the same as used much heavier and powerful setups - like the F150.
Appreciate the rear wheel drive platform the explorer is built on versus the FWD biased platforms of most competitors.

In practice, we are getting 22+ mpg on average burning E15 gasoline which dings fuel mileage about 2% from E10 in our use. 50% short trip, 50% freeway use in a cold weather climate. Gets over 27 mpg regularly on freeway runs with plenty of power on tap.
Serves the needs as a family hauler for hockey and the 3rd row comes in handy for hauling teammates around.
Of all the vehicles we've owned, this is my favorite for winter driving (we put winter tires on it- same as every other vehicle we own).
Zero unscheduled maintenance to date.

The last time we went down this road, your support was a consumer reports article from December of 2020 where they predicted the same poor performance as the 2020 model which did have a botched launch. Unfortunately for Consumer Reports, they then say the same thing for the 22 model despite the fact their own survey data shows the 2021 model is performing significantly better in the real world. In the old days that would prompt discussions about consumer reports biases and poor statistical analysis, but these days who knows.

And I'll point it out (again), those who actually own them on this board actually like them... When the complaints start on them, it's the same cast of characters everytime.

So believe what you want to. Happy to share what my actual ownership experience has been.
Glad you like your Explorer. My perception is that Ford's quality is all over the place. Their initial vehicles launches time and time again seem to prove this out. MY perception with the Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander (I understand maybe not an apples to apples comparison) even a KIA Telluride is your more likely not to have issues-again JMHO.

I thought a full EV wouldn’t work for you?
The EV6 is very minimally affected by the cold.
Also, it can charge at 350kW, and 350kW chargers are at snack run. While I would have liked to hold off for longer range and better tech, trade-in values are top dollar, and so is gasoline, so might as well do it now. The EV6 also offers good build quality, mainstream physical dealership presence, and a ground-up EV architecture. All things that were until lacking except in the Mach E (which I am not a fan of due to the failure in the moose test, as well as lack of a heat pump in any trim level) and junk like the LEAF.

That’s nice money to shop with. I like the Explorer, see them often as state park and police vehicles, which are abused. Usually the previous version, sound great as I walk by. The new one is probably even better. No Euros but I still would look at Mercedes with the available funds.
Come home in new Mercedes, she must be loaded. Come home in same price Toyota, look she got a Toyota.

Last edited:
It's an engineering masterpiece. It's longer than a Subaru Ascent on the outside, with the space of a smaller Highlander and Pilot on the inside.
I didn't find that to be the case. The only area the wife and I thought it felt small was the inside portion of the center console where it angles by your inside leg in the front. The middle row was adequate and the 3rd row has more room than the Highlander.

It's an engineering masterpiece. It's longer than a Subaru Ascent on the outside, with the space of a smaller Highlander and Pilot on the inside.
The hood is designed like it has a longitudinal engine in it, yet, it is an appliance solution.
I was checking it, it it was whatever.

I hear good things about the Toyota Highlander.
Wouldn`t that be a logical,choice?

Back