Restoring the ‘96 Cherokee

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I figured I’d make a thread as I slowly fix up my ‘96 Jeep Cherokee. It was my grandpa’s and something I’ll keep forever. Have been dragging my feet on fixing it up.

Just got some new Corbeau seats. Had to weld together a new frame for the driver’s seat to bolt to so it’s 3.5” further back for more leg room (I’m tall). The original seats were in bad shape and I replaced them with Grand Cherokee seats about 9 years ago, but the driver’s seat was pretty worn.

Upcoming some day is a new headliner and a full paint job including having the wheels repainted.

IMG_6471.jpeg
IMG_6515.jpeg

IMG_6438.jpeg

a full paint job including having the wheels repainted.

For about what it will cost to repaint the steel wheels, you could put on these oem aluminum wheels,

One of the nicer looking wheels ever made.

For about what it will cost to repaint the steel wheels, you could put on these oem aluminum wheels,

One of the nicer looking wheels ever made.
While those are nice wheels, I like the original look. It’s a super base model made for the Arizona Department of Transportation.

IMG_6517.jpeg

What a gem. Already looks cleaner than any XJ in my area. The seats are a nice upgrade. I ran the ZJ seats in my last XJ and they helped a lot. I also love the steel wheels. A friend just picked up a 1992 base model XJ, same color and wheels but a 2-door. It was used at a prison in Oregon and has ~58k miles on it. It needs some help in the floor pan area though.

How is the steering? Those steering boxes can loosen over time and causes the Jeep to wander pretty good on the highway. There are some Youtube videos showing how to take out some of the play in the steering box. Upgraded sway bars and Fox shocks transformed how my Jeeps drove on the highway, highly recommend. I also did the V8 ZJ tie rod upgrade.

What a gem. Already looks cleaner than any XJ in my area. The seats are a nice upgrade. I ran the ZJ seats in my last XJ and they helped a lot. I also love the steel wheels. A friend just picked up a 1992 base model XJ, same color and wheels but a 2-door. It was used at a prison in Oregon and has ~58k miles on it. It needs some help in the floor pan area though.

How is the steering? Those steering boxes can loosen over time and causes the Jeep to wander pretty good on the highway. There are some Youtube videos showing how to take out some of the play in the steering box. Upgraded sway bars and Fox shocks transformed how my Jeeps drove on the highway, highly recommend. I also did the V8 ZJ tie rod upgrade.
The steering and suspension is in great shape. I’ll definitely do the V8 ZJ tie rod when this one wears out, it’s just a random parts jobber. But all control arms and track bar are Moog, Timken wheel bearings, Monroe Severe Service shocks, Moog ZJ front coil springs and Crown rear leaf springs.

Good looking rig! I also had a 96 XJ at one point. Picked it up for $500 and it was rust free with new tires and wheels. It needed a lot of interior cleaning and just about everything related to brakes and suspension replaced. Here’s what my finished project looked like.

Attachments

• IMG_0251.jpeg
    IMG_0251.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 25
Love the seats. Miss my 4.0.

my steering box wore in such a manner that it was hard to adjust. If i tightened it so much that the play was reduced when pointed straight, I could feel it bind internally when it was in a turned position. Had I kept it, it would have needed to be replaced. And had I don’t that, I wanted to swap in the track bar mount that tied both sides of the frame together.

I really, really liked the 93 grand.

A part of me wants an XJ, but slightly modernized. Keep all the most reliable 4x4 stuff, stock height or veeery mild lift, and a naturally aspirated 2JZ under the hood. Less displacement, but not huge difference in power in 3.0L VS 4.0L. But a huge gain will be in reliability... Imagine: no overheating issues, no cracked piston crowns in the oil pan, etc... Perfect daily do-it-all rig. If extra power is ever needed - I'd just slap on an Eaton M90 supercharger, just enough usable boost.

My friend had an 89 Cherokee, he put 33s and a lift on it and took it on some wild adventures. He ripped the steering box off the frame once.
My parents never let me go with him on these adventures, probably because he would break something and not get home until 4 am

A part of me wants an XJ, but slightly modernized. Keep all the most reliable 4x4 stuff, stock height or veeery mild lift, and a naturally aspirated 2JZ under the hood. Less displacement, but not huge difference in power in 3.0L VS 4.0L. But a huge gain will be in reliability... Imagine: no overheating issues, no cracked piston crowns in the oil pan, etc... Perfect daily do-it-all rig. If extra power is ever needed - I'd just slap on an Eaton M90 supercharger, just enough usable boost.
A modern 4 cylinder turbo like a Honda 2.0T or similar would be a perfect power and torque combo for it. If it were lifted and had big tires, would have to go 6 cylinder turbo for sure.

Last year my brother helped me completely sound-proof it with Kilmat, 2 layers on the floor and 1 layer in the doors and crevices. Poly fill in the quarter panels. When I do the headliner I'll do the roof too. Also put in a new stereo, sub, speakers, and amp. Kept it all low profile so it looks stock.

E2228904-544D-4C08-8D7D-E5C8E6116FC6.jpeg

Back