New SUV Suggestions

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
My aunt is considering getting rid of the '16 Avalon and getting into a nice SUV. Max $65k, lower is better of course. Top reliability isn't a requirement, but probably no Euros. Most important is comfort and technology. No outdated tech. 3rd row is not needed, but if a little bigger car gives more 2nd row leg room then it’s a consideration. My ‘14 Grand Cherokee rear leg room is miserable for us tall folks for example. Not wanting a behemoth though.

Currently considering the Acura MDX and Jeep Grand Cherokee (L?). Perhaps the Lexus RX350/RX450h, but geez it’s ugly. Also maybe a Kia Telluride.

Your thoughts on these and other ideas?

The 400HP Ford Explorer is actually OK. I'm not a huge Explorer fan, but the ST with the big engine is wonderful.

I know you said no Euro's but my boss has a VW Atlas that is simple, roomy and comfy. However, it is neither fast nor efficient. Beautiful and silky smooth VR6 engine though.

We just went through this process and ended up choosing the MDX. Base model has plenty of tech, but you can get even more if desired.

Just took it from Denver to Ann Arbor MI and it was super smooth and all-day comfortable.

We got the MDX for a little more space over the RDX, but with the same seats and tech available for both, your Aunt could save $10k with the RDX.

Def worth a test drive.

Only thing I do not like about the MDX is Honda's VCM, which is noticeable even after this many years of refinement. Low drone on the highway, vibration when turning off and on, and engine issues down the road if left alone.

Totally ruined Honda's excellent 3.5 V6 if you asked me. Ok "totally ruined" is too strong of a description, suffice to say it's going to be disabled soon.

Last edited:
The 400HP Ford Explorer is actually OK. I'm not a huge Explorer fan, but the ST with the big engine is wonderful.

I know you said no Euro's but my boss has a VW Atlas that is simple, roomy and comfy. However, it is neither fast nor efficient. Beautiful and silky smooth VR6 engine though.
There ARE STILL ongoing QUALITY issues with the Explorer......

My aunt is considering getting rid of the '16 Avalon and getting into a nice SUV. Max $65k, lower is better of course. Top reliability isn't a requirement, but probably no Euros. Most important is comfort and technology. No outdated tech. 3rd row is not needed, but if a little bigger car gives more 2nd row leg room then it’s a consideration. My ‘14 Grand Cherokee rear leg room is miserable for us tall folks for example. Not wanting a behemoth though.

Currently considering the Acura MDX and Jeep Grand Cherokee (L?). Perhaps the Lexus RX350/RX450h, but geez it’s ugly. Also maybe a Kia Telluride.

MDX

So your aunt I assume has plenty of money and today's new vehicle market is just an inconvenience? Part of her budget will go to above some amount of CASH OVER MSRP.

So your aunt I assume has plenty of money and today's new vehicle market is just an inconvenience? Part of her budget will go to above some amount of CASH OVER MSRP.
Money isn't a concern. But I think there comes a point where spending more doesn't necessarily mean you're getting more. She isn't hauling people, so an Escalade isn't desirable.

With back issues consider the Advance trim in the Acura, I believe the suspension is tuned different as well. My wife has had back issues for ever, and this set-up worked for her.

For mainstream SUVs in stock, not anymore. Shop around.
Higher interest rates are slowing down the new car market.
The '22 Grand Cherokee (Standard Wheel Base) update sure is nice if she doesn't need the L.

Yeah the Atlas seems like a pretty competent utility vehicle with normal reliability. A friend has had one for a couple years and hasn't had any issues or complaints. It replaced a problematic Outback.

You get more leg room in the middle row of a 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee than the L version. And the current generation has more rear seat legroom than the previous gen-2021 and under.

Is your aunt really going to buy whatever you suggest to her? Mine wouldn't.

Back