New SUV Suggestions

Is your aunt really old? Avalon seems appealing for 65 and older crowd seeking the full size car nostalgia.

Don’t decide for her? Just have her try what she likes best not what you think. There were no bad or better choices in your original list, just what flavor ice cream she prefers….
She's 50 now, was 45 when she got the Avalon. Just wanted something comfortable. She's had 1 back surgery and 2 major neck surgeries. Probably more in the future.

How about one of these?

That's a whale lol.

Acura RDX with SH-AWD. Roomy, plenty of power, and can get over 30 mpg in ideal conditions. And the AWD system is amazing.

For mainstream SUVs in stock, not anymore. Shop around.
Higher interest rates are slowing down the new car market.
The '22 Grand Cherokee (Standard Wheel Base) update sure is nice if she doesn't need the L.
JGC1.jpg
20220114_074416_resized.jpg

A friend has a base model Explorer with the turbo 4. He says he hasn’t had any problems in 28,000 miles and it got 29 mph on a recent fishing trip, according to the dash readout. Not saying it’s the best choice but he likes it and my ride in the back seat was comfortable.

My aunt is considering getting into a nice SUV.
Max $65k, lower is better of course.
Top reliability isn't a requirement.
Most important is comfort and technology. No outdated tech.
3rd row is not needed.
Not wanting a behemoth though.
Your thoughts on these and other ideas?

I recommend an Alfa Romeo Stelvio.
Your aunt can get a deal on one, either locally, or by having one shipped for free at FCA Employee discount pricing from Alfa Romeo of Strongsville, OH. They offer free shipping and Employee discount to every customer, and they have a number of Stelvios in stock for you to choose from.

BC.

In the last year Ive had:

Cx5 grand touring reserve: Very well made, suspension somewhat unrefined, decent power, awd system mediocre.

Rav4 prime xse: extremely efficient, power amazing, awd system absolutely pathetic, interior cheap and shoddy.

Acura rdx aspec advance: mediocre build quality, amazing interior and sound system, awesome awd and suspension, lower mpg than the cx5 turbo for similar power.

I am moving on to a Kia EV6 GT Line.

Of note, the rdx is a very communicative suspension. It doesnt "float along". She may not like it.

A friend has a base model Explorer with the turbo 4. He says he hasn’t had any problems in 28,000 miles and it got 29 mph on a recent fishing trip, according to the dash readout. Not saying it’s the best choice but he likes it and my ride in the back seat was comfortable.
I'm going to make the same argument frequently cited by Hyundai haters-except applying the same principals to the Explorer-why would you buy one when they are many other SOLID choices?

Acura RDX with SH-AWD. Roomy, plenty of power, and can get over 30 mpg in ideal conditions. And the AWD system is amazing.
Id love to know who drives down hill both ways, lol! I typically crush epa ratings. All but 1 car Ive owned gets a few mpg better. My rdx? Not so much. Im averaging 26mpg for this tank. My cx5 turbo was pushing 30mpg in this situation.

I hate that they are made in China, but perhaps the Buick Envision could be a nice choice? They look pretty sharp and Buicks tend to get the highest reliability markings from the GM brands.

The wife and I have been doing a little shopping for a new car. We looked at the Lexus NX and RX SUV's, the Mazda CX-5 and the BMW X3. The Lexus had the most comfortable seats, but was noisy and numb driving. The CX-5 was noisy and uncomfortable (but was a nice driver although the non turbo was a little slow). The X3 was the best of the bunch by far. Quiet, responsive (darn quick!), comfortable and solid. The 3 year/36,000 included maintenance is nice too. (Bumper to bumper warranty is 4/50,000). I like that they are made in the USA, (Spartanburg, SC).

I'm enjoying the heck out of my Nautilus. Very quiet and comfortable. The 2.7 is a gem of a motor. Build quality is excellent.
I also had a 2013 RDX and would never buy another Acura based on my experience with it. I replaced that with a 2016 Sorento SX which gave me excellent service.

The wife and I have been doing a little shopping for a new car. We looked at the Lexus NX and RX SUV's, the Mazda CX-5 and the BMW X3. The Lexus had the most comfortable seats, but was noisy and numb driving. The CX-5 was noisy and uncomfortable (but was a nice driver although the non turbo was a little slow). The X3 was the best of the bunch by far. Quiet, responsive (darn quick!), comfortable and solid. The 3 year/36,000 included maintenance is nice too. (Bumper to bumper warranty is 4/50,000). I like that they are made in the USA, (Spartanburg, SC).
Well the Mercedes GLE is also made the US, Alabama I believe. Mercedes also does the 4/50k warranty but it's extra for a maintenance package.

Back