New Subarua and Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at a possible Subaru and noticed the filter is at top of engine facing down into a lipped cup. How does one get an accurate dipstick reading. When I look at videos online it appears that when the filter is removed little or no oil comes out indicating the ADBV is not working and oil has gone back to the pan. So, if one checks the oil when hot when most oil is still in the filter versus when cold and it has probably drained back what does Subaru consider the proper oil level. Is it above full when sitting overnight etc. and below full when checking it hot??? Does the amount of oil put in at the change consider it full when the filter has drained or when it is hot?? Do I need to talk to a service tech and get their opinion.

Oil drains out of the oil passages as the engine sits. What does the owners manual say about when to check the oil?

Ford's 2.7 twin turbo uses a similar setup. Proper oil level is to be read after the engine is off for a minimum of 15 minutes. I would assume the subaru is similar. Plenty of anecdotes about dealers overfilling significantly after oil changes when that engine first came out.

Love the design and ease of the oil change on my 2018 Subaru my filters are full when pulled off and when cutting to inspect. OEM filters used 40k on engine 5 to 6k oci it's a dream to change seriously a10min job.

Last edited:
Not to woory, there is not enough oil volume change to worry about.

Ive owned over 7 subarus from 3 cylinder Justy to flat 6 SVX.

I prefer to check on a perfectly flat space after vehicle has sat overnight or during the workday.

+/- a cup of oil is fine. I like to run a cup LOW on these engines. Refill on the FB20 I use just the Jug 5 quarts not 5.2 spec.

Contary to dave123, every time I've done and oil changes using the blue fram-a-roo filters they have been EMPTY when removed.

I assume oil column drops through the outlet and evacuates the filter pulling open the ADBV. May be hot leak down of the low KV100 20 grade? Scenario still seems odd - but again my changed filters have always been empty and the car always gets a very noisy dry start overnight.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
An ADBV can't stop oil from draining out of the center tube.

Just go by OM. Lot of engines are supposed to be checked after a short period beyond shut down.

+1 my filters are full

Oil n
Originally Posted by Spector
..... When I look at videos online it appears that when the filter is removed little or no oil comes out indicating the ADBV is not working and oil has gone back to the pan.

To me, that means the ADBV is doing it's thing and holding the oil in the filter.

Having owned 2 later model Subarus with this setup, the ADBVs do their thing pretty well. You do get some center tube spillage into the cup that you have to wipe away with a rag.

In regards to the engine oil dipstick thing. I had issues with both my 2014 XV Crosstrek and my 2016 Forester. You'd have to pull-wipe-insert-pull-read like 3x and take the average of the 3. Luckily they are equipped with a low engine oil LEVEL alarm to warn you when they're about 1 to 1.5qts low. Had that kick on once with my Crosstrek when it had about 1000mi on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back