My BMW DOES have an oil dipstick!

I've known since I got my 2016 535d a few weeks back that you can check the oil via the iDrive system. A quick google search showed that BMW did away with oil dipsticks quite a while back, and my wife's X3 is an example of a dipstick-less BMW. So naturally I assumed my 535d didn't have a dipstick. I was looking up something unrelated today and discovered by chance that BMW DID include a dipstick on the N57 diesel engine that my car has! Mine is an exception to the rule. See red circle in pic. Sure, it's a silly thing to get excited over, but as another BITOGer said in another thread, I like "checking the oil with the dipstick the way God intended" 😁

BMW 535d-4.jpg

I don't know, and the owner's manual doesn't specify. An hour?
I always wait until the following morning to check the oil, after it and the filter are changed. After I drain my Jeep, I have to wait almost 20 minutes until it settles to just a single drip every few seconds.

So overnight gives every opportunity for it to all drain into the pan...... Or at least all that's going to. That, and I know my garage floor is the most level piece of concrete on my property.

Nah, to check the atf in a bmw, you don't unless you're desperate. you drive it around until a certain tranny temperature is reached, stick your hand past the exhaust, and undo a little plastic plug. Or you wait until it breaks

The 2 most stupid and useless things the automotive industry has yet to come up with, are engines without oil dipsticks, and capless fuel tanks. Both offer overly engineered and complex "solutions" to problems that never existed.
Removal if oil dipstick makes meeting emissions much easier in certain engines. In diesel there was no need to remive it, and they never did.

Back