new police/state vehicles: no push bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dparm
Push bumpers add cost to an already expensive vehicle. These new police vehicles are not getting cheaper, nor are departments funding themselves flush with cash. A new Police Interceptor SUV (Explorer) is nearly $50,000. I suspect it's a cost-saving move.

For example, Chicago PD just announced they are buying 500 of those new Explorer-based vehicles at $47,000 each. If a push bumper adds, say, $2,000 to the cost of each vehicle, that's another million dollars on top of the already huge $23.5M price tag for those cars. Chicago is not exactly sitting on a huge cash surplus.

I can't even remember the last time I saw one on a Chicago PD vehicle. We still have tons of Crown Vics running around and they don't have the push bars, nor do the newer Explorers, Suburbans, or Tauruses. I occasionally see them on Illinois State Police vehicles, but their duties probably involve some different things than a cop in downtown Chicago would see.

Per-car costs of new Ford sedans and SUVs in my city ... right from the city's Police Budget documents " ... once fully equipped for police work, the Taurus will cost $C 75,000 [$US 60,300] with the Explorer costing $C 82,000 [$US 66,000]. ..." And no, they don't come with push bars.

That does not include the Automated Licence Plate Readers installed, as of now, in 51 patrol cars, at a cost of $C 25,000 each [$US 20,100], although the costs to purchase and install those are covered by the Provincial Motor License Issuer. About 40 cars a year will be upgraded until all patrol vehicles are so equipped.

I don't know how many patrol cars they have, but the city police service has 460 members, so I'm guessing the ALPR program should be complete in 3~4 years.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Cop cars have gone to unibody construction for the most part.

Is the Dodge Charger a unibody ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

If it's not a full-size or light duty truck, it's unibody. Honda trucks are also unibody. There might be a handful of full-size SUVs that are not, but the trend has been to make those unibody as well.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

the Dodge Charger has ALWAYS been unibody. all the way back to '66..

in fact, when they first started using the LX Cars for Police service, the push bars that went on were purely for looks. they attached to the radiator supports...

Last edited:
They could have them under the bumper to appear more stealthy.

The new police cruisers here doing highway patrol look like your average Ford Edge/rental car. No markings, and all lights are inside the vehicle.

I was going with the flow of traffic in the left lane, and one of these cruisers was in the far right lane going about 50. As soon as I passed him, he cut across two lanes and started tailgating. I saw him out of the corner of my eye coming over quick and slowed down to the speed limit before he could get a radar reading. It was then I noticed the lights in the grill and behind the windshield.

Sneaky.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

The new police cruisers here doing highway patrol look like your average Ford Edge/rental car. No markings, and all lights are inside the vehicle.

I was going with the flow of traffic in the left lane, and one of these cruisers was in the far right lane going about 50. As soon as I passed him, he cut across two lanes and started tailgating. I saw him out of the corner of my eye coming over quick and slowed down to the speed limit before he could get a radar reading. It was then I noticed the lights in the grill and behind the windshield.

Sneaky.

Unmarked vehicles are nothing new, the cops have used those for as long as there have been cop cars.

The biggest change in the last 10-15 years has been that they can truly hide the lights since everything has switched over to LED (which is smaller). Also, as most cops carry cell phones, and the radios become more sophisticated, you don't see huge antenna arrays anymore.

Sneaky.

Unmarked vehicles are nothing new, the cops have used those for as long as there have been cop cars.

The biggest change in the last 10-15 years has been that they can truly hide the lights since everything has switched over to LED (which is smaller). Also, as most cops carry cell phones, and the radios become more sophisticated, you don't see huge antenna arrays anymore.

My local police has an unmarked car. However, it's kind of hard to mistake it for anything else with the tall antenna, the police floodlights, and the push bumper. It's an old Crown Vic too, so that's really kind of obvious. On top of that it's driven by a cop in a regular uniform.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
If it's not a full-size or light duty truck, it's unibody. Honda trucks are also unibody. There might be a handful of full-size SUVs that are not, but the trend has been to make those unibody as well.

ok cool--thank you sir.
smile.gif

Sneaky.

The older unmarked cars were fairly obvious. These look like your average soccer mom mobiles, no antennas, no low-pro lights, stock wheels, etc.

If you're behind one, the only giveaway is the license plate.

So what? There have been unibody poloce cars for fifty years!

Living in Charlotte, NC and Birmingham, AL, I've only noticed a handful of police vehicles that had push bars. It seems like a lot of law enforcement fleets put them on a few cars, but not all.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

My local police has an unmarked car. However, it's kind of hard to mistake it for anything else with the tall antenna, the police floodlights, and the push bumper. It's an old Crown Vic too, so that's really kind of obvious. On top of that it's driven by a cop in a regular uniform.

When I lived in Charlotte, most undercover cars were like this...just a police car without markings.

In this part of Birmingham, unmarked is unmarked. They have fully marked Explorers, and then the most anonymous vehicles you could think of (probably seized). The best is a grey '04-'08 F-150 crew cab XLT that looks a thousand other F-150s in Birmingham. No antennas, just tint. Plenty of blue lights behind the tint though.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

So what? There have been unibody poloce cars for fifty years!

Unibody vehicles have more things to get tweaked upon impact than a body on frame vehicle like the old panther Ford cop cars. So cops are less likely to use their cars as battering rams due to permanent damage to their vehicles if they do so.

So, you didn't read the post you quoted.

Jarlaxle,
I'm going to guess you weren't responding to me...

[off-topic]
-any update on your lady's recovery? Is she riding again?
-you two (you and MS Jarlaxle), LoneRanger and Trav should get together: I bet you will have a lot of stories to share....
[/off-topic]

Unibody also cannot be used in my biz due to inability to tolerate drilled holes for equipment to pass through.

I would have bought one of those new Ford vans except for this fact. My aftermarket upfitter will not use them and Ford will not give them the OK.

I still see BPD/UCPD/OPD/CHP with them - but they've moved away from Go Rhino pushbars to Setina, or at least Berkeley did. Oakland is still using Go Rhino ones.

I wonder what effect the pushbar would have if the police car rear-ended someone...on the police car as well as the car it hit. Older Jeep Grand Cherokees with trailer hitches would wind up with lots of rear floor damage and rear rail damage if they got rear-ended because the hitch arms that bolted to the structure of the car didn't bend like the factory structure did. I have to imagine that the presence of a rigid pushbar would make something strange happen in the front structure of the police car in the event of a collision.

Yeah, no, I just didn't want to address your post on a one to one basis because unibody police cars were DEFINITELY the exception, NOT the rule, as it was until the mid-2000s. You said that there have been unibody cop cars for fifty years. Yeah, and there are some cops out there that ride bikes and horses. But the cop you'll see on the road 90+ percent of the time nationally was in a body on frame car during the midpoint (25 years ago) of your claimed 50 year window. Are you going to drag out every single ancient and unpopular Chrysler cop car to refute me now?

Yeah, no, I just didn't want to address your post on a one to one basis because unibody police cars were DEFINITELY the exception, NOT the rule, as it was until the mid-2000s. You said that there have been unibody cop cars for fifty years. Yeah, and there are some cops out there that ride bikes and horses. But the cop you'll see on the road 90+ percent of the time nationally was in a body on frame car during the midpoint (25 years ago) of your claimed 50 year window. Are you going to drag out every single ancient and unpopular Chrysler cop car to refute me now?

Dude, just stop. Chryslers were very popular police cars for twenty years!

You were wrong, you were called on it. Stop doubling down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back