"New" dog day

Old Roy is garbage food. This is what we fed our Great Dane and the current German Shepherd. The Dane lived to 12 and the Shepherd is currently 12 or more cause we do not know how old he was when we got him.

Wow!!! That's a huge life span for a large breed like a Dane!

Wow!!! That's a huge life span for a large breed like a Dane!
Yep it is, I don't advocate feeding your pets total junk, but we are getting 14 years on average primarily feeding our outdoor Maremma's plain purina dog chow... and chicken heads and feet, stray eggs, goat bones, and spare parts of whatever animals we produce around the hobby farm.

Yep it is, I don't advocate feeding your pets total junk, but we are getting 14 years on average primarily feeding our outdoor Maremma's plain purina dog chow... and chicken heads and feet, stray eggs, goat bones, and spare parts of whatever animals we produce around the hobby farm.
I don't know about your breed, but it's not uncommon for Great Danes to only make it 7 or 8 years. We were thinking about a Bernese Mountain dog the last time we were looking for a dog but decided that wasn't for us as they often live even less than that here in the States.

Old Roy is garbage food. This is what we fed our Great Dane and the current German Shepherd. The Dane lived to 12 and the Shepherd is currently 12 or more cause we do not know how old he was when we got him.

Gorgeous pup there.

I couldn't imagine paying for Zignature for that guy. I cringe every month when I have to order a bag for our midsized somethingorother mix.

It is hilarious though, she will 'guard' a new bag when it comes in the door. Not sure how she thinks it is any different then when we pour it into the big container we keep it in, but if it is a shiny bag, she's not far away.

IMG_20230403_203201020.jpg
IMG_20230827_135719973_HDR.jpg
IMG_3038.jpg

Last edited:
She ate 4-5 cups a day. Before my wife trained her to stay out of the kitchen she counter surfed a 2lb package of ground meat, 3 pork chops, half a pan of baked beans, and we lost count of bread loaves. You could not leave your coffee out or it would be gone. She was the best and we still miss her.

No one brand of dog food should be fed to a dog anymore than one should eat McDonalds as their only meal for their entire life.
Not all foods provide everything needed can you imagine having the same meal everyday from the same company for your whole life?
You should alternate dog food on a daily basis. One brand one day, another brand the next from at least three different quality companies, we use about 6 different companies.

All brands should contain labeled meats, no unnamed meat sources such as "liver" it should instead read, "beef Liver" or "Chicken Liver"
NO CORN should be in the formula. Canned food is always superior but understand way to costly for some.

The lowest cost food I would ever feed (again alternating daily) is Purina Beyond, the Beyond line of their foods are actually good, they even have an organic one but that is the one and only line I would ever feed from that company. Purina Beyond Organic Chicken and Sweet Potatoes in WDJ names best budget food in the canned version.

There are literally dozens of good foods, most you can not buy in a store like Walmart or the supermarket.
For people really into this subscribe to "The Whole Dog Journal" for at least a year. They review dry and wet dog food and explain to you the reasons. In the past they have also toured food factories.

Most people do not know, many companies do not test the batches of food they produce, it's a computer generated model of all required elements for an animal to survive. One company known for testing every batch is Natural Balance.

DJ list is quite extensive and mentions what someone else in here mentioned Zignature is a terrific high quality food and great choice. It belongs at the top of any list but like everything I would rotate that on a daily basis with at least three other companies. Other brands, Wellness, Solid Gold, Natural Balance, Merrick, I AND LOVE AND YOU, Gentle Giants, Chicken Soup for the Soul, Canidae, Beyond by Purina (most cost effective), Acana (most expensive), Bixbi Liberty, Firstmate, ORGANOMICS, to name just a few. Whole Dog Journal is a wealth of dog owner information and for a small subscription fee get it delivered for a year (our our case a decade)

I just took this photo as an example, and I also noticed we are getting low and down to four different companies which is about normal. as I resupply I dont by the same brands if they are not on sale. Meaning I buy the sales of high quality foods on line. Purina Beyond without question is the bargain in the group.

Every day is a different food, just like humans. We also then top his food with rotisserie chicken from Sam's Club or Costco, if we run out, some canned Alaska Salmon or mackerel and a small bit of chopped up fruit like apple.
Our dog now, will be 15 years old in July 2024, not sure if he will make it or not. Dr says his heart valves are failing.
Still plays like a puppy but he kind of let us know after a while his heart med can only do so much.

IMG_7067.JPG

Back