"New" dog day

My wife got a new kitchen helper - an older dane from our local shelter. She'll probably keep us out of trouble for a little while.
IMG_20240222_163408_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Great Dane's are great dogs! I've owned one as well as my Mom owning one when I grew up as a kid. They're big "couch potatoes".

Just a suggestion since her ears were never cropped...make sure you check her ears frequently for an waxy, yeasty junk or nasty odors. I use this stuff: MalAcetic Otic Cleanser (https://www.vetrxdirect.com/product/view/malacetic-otic-pet-ear-cleaner-otc) on my German Shepherds at least once a month just to keep their ears squeaky clean!

:)

Ed

Rescues are great as are the people who adopt them but WOW! That's a lot of dog.
We've had a couple mastiffs before, so when we saw her come up for adoption we were pretty comfortable with adopting. Missing a big dog leaves a pretty big big empty spot to fill, we might have needed a few smaller ones otherwise. ;)

Great Dane's are great dogs! I've owned one as well as my Mom owning one when I grew up as a kid. They're big "couch potatoes".

Just a suggestion since her ears were never cropped...make sure you check her ears frequently for an waxy, yeasty junk or nasty odors. I use this stuff: MalAcetic Otic Cleanser (https://www.vetrxdirect.com/product/view/malacetic-otic-pet-ear-cleaner-otc) on my German Shepherds at least once a month just to keep their ears squeaky clean!

:)

Ed
Thanks for the heads up, our mastiffs were prone to that too. I'd been hopeful that she'd be less prone to that because her ears are 'up' fairly often.

Let me check the shed....I think we have a saddle which'll fit that pony.

The TV play-by-play guy for the Mets had a pair of Great Danes. 'Twas a while back and I do believe both dogs are gone.

Best of luck with your new family member.

My grandma had Great Danes; I think she chose them because no one was going to mess with her when she had her enormous dog with her (she lived in a crummy town). But the dogs themselves were sweet and gentle.

I remember when we'd visit on Thanksgiving or Christmas and the dog would just rest her head right on the table and watch us, Never once tried to steal any food! Very well behaved.

Amazingly, about 50-75% more than the mastiffs

We used to have a neighbour down the street with a large male GD. I asked him one day how much food they go through, he said two 30 lb bags a month :oops:. My dog is 50 lbs and a 30 lb bag lasts about 6-7 weeks.

My brother has a Labradoodle that is similar to the photo above.

You accidentally leave food on the counter to get the Amazon package that was just delivered and your food will disappear.

Old Roy is garbage food. This is what we fed our Great Dane and the current German Shepherd. The Dane lived to 12 and the Shepherd is currently 12 or more cause we do not know how old he was when we got him.

Back