New Commuter Car ideas... maybe more fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sw99
I hate to say it but I love my 2016 Versa for a commuter car. Great headroom and space (I am 6'and 250lbs) I paid around 12.5k and an overall average 35 mpg with a best of 42. During the summers, I get 37-39 regularly. I specifically got this with the 4 speed auto because it's petty much tried and true but I'm sure being phased out for the CVT. It's ugly and bright white but it serves it purpose.

Wow that is dirt cheap!

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Chevy Malibu or Impala.

Maybe an Impala. Me? I'd do a LaCrosse for a plush luxury ride, GTI for fun and sporty.

Cadillac Brougham. Preferably a later one with the 350. It's a sofa on wheels.
smile.gif
Screams get out of my way. I would LOVE to commute in one of these. If I didn't need SUVs for clearance and snow capabilities, I'd rock one.
1200px-1991_Cadillac_Brougham_gold-edition_black_fl.jpg

But if you want something new, I have literally not heard anything bad about Mazda recently.

Golf is a good option. I really enjoy daily driving my golf wagon. The power of a manual base model is plenty for my traffic laden commutes. The extra space of the wagon means i can pretty much fit anything back there with seats folded down.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Cadillac Brougham. Preferably a later one with the 350. It's a sofa on wheels.
smile.gif
Screams get out of my way. I would LOVE to commute in one of these. If I didn't need SUVs for clearance and snow capabilities, I'd rock one.
1200px-1991_Cadillac_Brougham_gold-edition_black_fl.jpg

But if you want something new, I have literally not heard anything bad about Mazda recently.

Always remember, Red Right Returning.

I'm one and done with FWD, but if I had to go that route I'd only consider the GTI, Focus ST, Accord Sport, Civic Si, and the Mazda3...

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I'm one and done with FWD, but if I had to go that route I'd only consider the GTI, Focus ST, Accord Sport, Civic Si, and the Mazda3...
You're way too generous. GTI or Civic Type R. But why buy either of those when you can have a V8 pushing the rear wheels of a Camaro, SS, Challenger or Charger?
H72WS1z.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
You're way too generous. GTI or Civic Type R. But why buy either of those when you can have a V8 pushing the rear wheels of a Camaro, SS, Challenger or Charger?
H72WS1z.gif

Why would you want all those cylinders when you can save gas with a turbo-four Camaro? Save the SS for the weekend and the race track. Or not. It's just an excuse to own two Camaros.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

Why would you want all those cylinders when you can save gas with a turbo-four Camaro? Save the SS for the weekend and the race track. Or not. It's just an excuse to own two Camaros.

Flew into Portland, as I'm landing I get an email that an Elantra was waiting for me in stall E8, or I can choose from the preferred line. A Sequoia was in the preferred lane. Hopped in the Sequoia and listened to that V8 roar to life as I turned the key and at that moment I couldn't remember what an Elantra was.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
H72WS1z.gif

I've owned several V8s and I will probably have a SRT Challenger, Boss 302 or 2017 GT350 in my garage someday, but right now I'm very happy with the turbo I6 in my RWD 2 Series. I like averaging over 26 mpg while still being able to run the 1/4 mile in the high twelves. I know that's average for a performance car these days, but I'm satisfied with it for now- although I am going to install a LSD and a tune...

It sounds to me like you will be keeping the car until the "wheels fall off". After owning the Corolla for so long you will be disappointed with the long-term reliability/durability/longevity of most of the other cars recommended. Anything with a turbocharger will be problematic in the long run.
Get a Camry 4-cyl, they now have 203 HP and are very reasonable in price. If that isn't powerful enough for you, get a Camry V/6, with 301 HP they are FAST but will exceed your budget by a couple of grand.

it's too bad performance and longevity don't seem to go hand in hand. deep down inside I was hoping to find a Jekyll Hyde that offered up decent fuel economy but then could put a smile on my face when I hit the go pedal..without drawing too much attention to it parked.

It looks like I will have to peruse the used market and check things out there.

Anyone know what years of the Camry V6 that were not good?

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
it's too bad performance and longevity don't seem to go hand in hand. deep down inside I was hoping to find a Jekyll Hyde that offered up decent fuel economy but then could put a smile on my face when I hit the go pedal..without drawing too much attention to it parked.

It looks like I will have to peruse the used market and check things out there.

Love my Civic Si. Take it to the track all day without issue. Embarrass much "faster" cars. Drive home. Lather, rinse, repeat. Motor can take a beating without issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
It sounds to me like you will be keeping the car until the "wheels fall off". After owning the Corolla for so long you will be disappointed with the long-term reliability/durability/longevity of most of the other cars recommended. Anything with a turbocharger will be problematic in the long run.

The turbo on my 2007 MS3 was still working fine at 8 years and 158,000 miles when I flipped it for the 2er- yeah, I sure wish I had bought a NA four instead.

...get a Camry V/6, with 301 HP they are FAST but will exceed your budget by a couple of grand.

I hate to burst your bubble, but in 2017 a car that runs the quarter in the mid-fourteens is not "FAST." At best I'd say that it is maybe a tiny bit quicker than average for its market segment. Today I'd say that a car has to run mid-twelves to be considered to be legitimately fast.

I will also be the first to point out that acceleration alone does not make a car entertaining to drive- see: Civic Si, Fiat Abarth, Fiesta ST- all of which are a riot to drive despite posting mid-pack acceleration numbers

The turbo on my 2007 MS3 was still working fine at 8 years and 158,000 miles when I flipped it for the 2er- yeah, I sure wish I had bought a NA four instead.

...get a Camry V/6, with 301 HP they are FAST but will exceed your budget by a couple of grand.

I hate to burst your bubble, but in 2017 a car that runs the quarter in the mid-fourteens is not "FAST." At best I'd say that it is maybe a tiny bit quicker than average for its market segment. Today I'd say that a car has to run mid-twelves to be considered to be legitimately fast.

I will also be the first to point out that acceleration alone does not make a car entertaining to drive- see: Civic Si, Fiat Abarth, Fiesta ST- all of which are a riot to drive despite posting mid-pack acceleration numbers

Exactly, fun and fast and not necessarily the same thing.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen

Just the super old ones. The new gen just came out a few months ago. So the previous gen is 2012-2017 with a moderate facelift for the 2015 model year. So a V6 in any of those years will be fun to drive but a bigger car compared to the Corolla that you have now. Meaning not as nimble. However it will have plenty of power and won't attract attention.

I did see a new 2017 Mazda 3 hatchback being advertised for $16,800. Which will be fun to drive, nimble and an upgrade over the 09 Corolla.

If you drive mostly hwy then I'd go for the Camry. If mostly city prob the M3. If a mix of hwy/city 50/50 then prob the M3 as well. The Camry is more of a hwy cruiser with nice power from the V6.

Gonna say, IMO you'll be disappointed in a Camry, even the sportier SE. Even the new model out now. I was thinking about replacing our '15 with a new '18, but wasn't that impressed. The V6 models are a little bit pricey. For that much you can get an Avalon.

Also consider the VW Jetta GLI. It's got the 2.0T engine that's in the GTI, just detuned a little bit. It's got a good look to it, but is not too flashy. Not to mention more interior and trunk space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back